Zuiderdam Drydock April 2008

If anybody has any information regarding the Zuiderdam drydock for the month of April (i.e. photos etc...) I would greatly appreciate posting links etc. I sailed on her during her maiden voyage and am eager to see what she looks like after the refurbishment being done this month. Supposedly she will receive the same refurbishent that the Westerdam received. Thanks in advance for any links or information.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Zui in October, and I am anxiously awaiting photos from the lucky passengers who will sail her immediately following the refurb.

I saw another thread recommending people check the roll calls for sailings in late April and thereafter - needless to say I am subscribed to all of them :eek: and can not wait to see how the "aft lift" goes since we are in a corner SC suite where a lot of the cabin work is happening.

I am guessing they are doing the same thing that they did to the Westerdam last year. Maybe you can search for that and get an idea of what they did to that ship or ask a new question about the transformation of the Westerdam. I was on the cruise before it went to drydock and I remember searching at that time and finding out about it. They added some cabins but I don't know how that lengthening affected the public areas.

I am guessing they are doing the same thing that they did to the Westerdam last year. Maybe you can search for that and get an idea of what they did to that ship or ask a new question about the transformation of the Westerdam. I was on the cruise before it went to drydock and I remember searching at that time and finding out about it. They added some cabins but I don't know how that lengthening affected the public areas.

Correct. I was on Zuiderdam's last cruise before dry docking and we were given the following information by Hotel Manager:

• A new block of 34 cabins was being prefabricated by the ship yard, ready to lowered into place during dry docking.
  • Like the Weterdam, the Crow's nest will lose half its area to the World Cafe - mistake in my opinion.
  • Queens lounge will no longer be used for films. A dedicated movie theater, called "Screening Room" will be installed in space freed up by moving World Cafe to Crow's Nest.
  • There will also be some changes and/or increases in shops
  • Carpet in hallways, lobbies, etc. will be replaced. I assume they'll correct the often reported "pot holes" in these areas, probably caused by failure of the carpet underlayment. Several large packages of plywood were delivered to the ship somewhere between Lisbon and Rome and may be for carpet underlayment.
  • Hopefully various scuffed finishes will be replaced. Mostly this is normal wear and tear, but sadly there is also some obvious vandalism in several elevators.

The before and after dry dock deck plans are included in HAL's 2008 Caribbean brochure, and I believe they can also be found on the website

Queens lounge will no longer be used for films. A dedicated movie theater, called "Screening Room" will be installed in space freed up by moving World Cafe to Crow's Nest.
Are you sure about this? I don't think that was done on the Westerdam. The post-April 25 deck plan shows shops where the Internet Center (Zuiderdam never had an Explorations Cafe) used to be. I know the Eurodam is getting a "Screening Room", though.

Are you sure about this? I don't think that was done on the Westerdam. The post-April 25 deck plan shows shops where the Internet Center (Zuiderdam never had an Explorations Cafe) used to be. I know the Eurodam is getting a "Screening Room", though.

Yeah we are positive about this. I was on the same cruise as Bob, and we met with the Hotel Manager and Captain (Our CC group was over 80 people) and they were very specific in describing the changes. There will be a new "Screening Room" and the Queen's Lounge will basically be used for dancing as the Crow's Nest is now and other functions. The Explorations Cafe is moving into the Crow's Nest. The shops will expand and they are planning a boulevard of "High End" (their words) shops.

The elevators do look vandalized. They look absolutely dreadful, as a matter of fact.

The Explorations Cafe is moving into the Crow's Nest.
I repeat: the Zuiderdam never had an Explorations Cafe (or World Cafe as Bob said). That's part of what made me check the deck plans ... which show no "Screening Room".

Correct. I was on Zuiderdam's last cruise before dry docking and we were given the following information by Hotel Manager:

• A new block of 34 cabins was being prefabricated by the ship yard, ready to lowered into place during dry docking.
  • Like the Weterdam, the Crow's nest will lose half its area to the World Cafe - mistake in my opinion.
  • Queens lounge will no longer be used for films. A dedicated movie theater, called "Screening Room" will be installed in space freed up by moving World Cafe to Crow's Nest.
  • There will also be some changes and/or increases in shops
  • Carpet in hallways, lobbies, etc. will be replaced. I assume they'll correct the often reported "pot holes" in these areas, probably caused by failure of the carpet underlayment. Several large packages of plywood were delivered to the ship somewhere between Lisbon and Rome and may be for carpet underlayment.
  • Hopefully various scuffed finishes will be replaced. Mostly this is normal wear and tear, but sadly there is also some obvious vandalism in several elevators.

The before and after dry dock deck plans are included in HAL's 2008 Caribbean brochure, and I believe they can also be found on the website

Do you know if the cabins are going to be refreshed with new carpeting, balcony furniture, etc.:confused:

Do you know if the cabins are going to be refreshed with new carpeting, balcony furniture, etc.:confused:

Don't know. Carpets and furnishings in my deck 4 cabin were in excellent shape, so I wouldn't think they would be replaced unless, of course, something is planned to correct the woeful lack of drawer space in this class of cabins on Vista Class ships. No idea what, if anything, is planned for veranda furniture.

Bob

Thanks for all the replies! Zuiderdam comes out of drydock next Saturday 4/26.
Actually it starts its first cruise on Sat with an overnight in Venice, so it probably will be leaving the dry dock in Palermo Wed or Thu.

See NH BOB, but also it will have a round bar like the Rotterdam on the aft deck, I 'll be on it in a couple of days, will keep you posted

Zuiderdam has always had a round bar on the Aft Lido deck, Starboard side...

Don't know. Carpets and furnishings in my deck 4 cabin were in excellent shape, so I wouldn't think they would be replaced unless, of course, something is planned to correct the woeful lack of drawer space in this class of cabins on Vista Class ships. No idea what, if anything, is planned for veranda furniture.

Bob

They're not adding drawers or replacing casegoods in any of the staterooms unless they are damaged.

I'm sure they'll replace any worn verandah seating - the "Wicker" tends to fray after a while...

Apologies in advance, as I know this has been asked, but what does the aft change do to the corner deluxe veranda suites? We have SB 7151 booked for the Christmas Canal cruise and not sure what change this has on our room.

Thanks, everyone!

Apologies in advance, as I know this has been asked, but what does the aft change do to the corner deluxe veranda suites? We have SB 7151 booked for the Christmas Canal cruise and not sure what change this has on our room.

Thanks, everyone!

Not sure if this will answer you questions but this is a side view of the Westerdam and will be how the Zuiderdam will look.

IMG_1187westerdam.jpg?t=1208889645

Thanks in advance to all who offered to post pix after the refurb.

We are in 6177 (Aft SC) post refit (friends in the same cabin on the Port side) and I am watching the boards for pix of these cabins and any pix pf the common aread after the work is done.

The cruise may only be two weeks, but I think we entertain ourselves deaming about being out there all year! (I work in Manhattan with a great view of the ports, and it is sheer pleasure to see the ships come and go all year long!)

Happy sailing to all the lucky folks who will be on the Zui in the coming weeks! We'll keep watching to see what's new!

Archived