Trying to book a summer cruise

GAMOM4

We are trying to book a cruise without spending alot of money this summer. The two that we are looking at is the Holiday out of Mobile (I know this is an older ship - but we have sailed the Celebration twice and loved it!) Or Enchantment of the Seas - Royal Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. Both of these are 4 night cruises - the Carnival Cruise has 2 at sea days which I love - the Royal Caribbean one goes to Key West which I also love! There will be four of us going and we are going to get 2 oceanview rooms. What do you suggest as the better cruise? We have never been on a Royal Caribbean one before - but they are having a one day sale that is for today only.

We are trying to book a cruise without spending alot of money this summer. The two that we are looking at is the Holiday out of Mobile (I know this is an older ship - but we have sailed the Celebration twice and loved it!) Or Enchantment of the Seas - Royal Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale. Both of these are 4 night cruises - the Carnival Cruise has 2 at sea days which I love - the Royal Caribbean one goes to Key West which I also love! There will be four of us going and we are going to get 2 oceanview rooms. What do you suggest as the better cruise? We have never been on a Royal Caribbean one before - but they are having a one day sale that is for today only.

I thought the wow sale was tomorrow? Be careful, you might go over to the RCL threads and read the caveats, because no other promotions are combinable with the wow sale they had last time.

basically all the wow sale is, is $50 OBC on your short cruise I believe plus lower deposit. Am I missing something?

Thats being said I probably would choose the RCL cruise instead of Holiday if the price is the same.

Actually the Royal Caribbean cruise is $2840.00 and the Carnival one is $2331.00 - so to me that has ended up being quite a bit of a difference. After we got finished talking the lady with RC told me that I didn't qualify for WOW because I was booking a cruise that was leaving before Sept. 1st. So the only thing I actually qualified for was there a Georgia Discount at the present time - she said that could be pulled at anytime - she said it savd about $70.00 a cabin - but even with the savings - two oceanview rooms side by side was $2840.00 for 4 days - that was as cheap as she could get it. Carnival has told me that the cheapest they could get me a 4 day cruise (I was really wanting 5) was $2331.00. I guess I'm leaning toward the Carnival one.

Right now due to the WOW sale I am seriously looking at booking RCL for 2009. Have only sailed Carnival and Princess. Notice the prices are a bit higher than Carnival but with the OBC and reduced deposit this is giving me some incentive to try a different line.

Actually the Royal Caribbean cruise is $2840.00 and the Carnival one is $2331.00.

Its too bad you have to go during mid summer, by the end of August prices start to fall off. You would be upset if I told you we got cat I, obstructed OV cabins during Sept last year for a lot less.

I like cat "I" obstructed on RCL, because its on a high deck and most cabins only a little obstructed. I like both cruise lines. I wouldnt pay over $2300 to cruise on Holiday though. yikes. sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to hear. Im assuming you can drive to the port at least. I cruise off season so I never pay those kind of prices you are being quoted. thats a hard one, I would book one for summer 2009 and wait. lol Those prices just too steep to me for two OV cabins.

I agree with the next poster, I would keep shopping around. For the $50 OBC you are getting to book, I wouldnt be in that much of a hurry, you are almost to final payment time, so the reduced deposit is not much help.

RCL has some great last minute rates, I would keep an eye out for a better price about 1 or 2 months out if you can be flexible.

I know the prices really drop once the kids go back to school. If it was just me and my husband I would definitely be going off season! Do you know of any other cruises that we could get cheaper? The last 3 years we have sailed out of Jacksonville. This year the Celebration has been sold and the Fascination isn't there yet. Yes we are within driving distance of most all of the ports in Florida and Mobile. But I am really open to suggestions if you have any for a cruise of any kind that is in late July or early August - it would just about have to be between July 17 - August 9th. Thanks for any suggestions you have!!! ( I know we could wait until next year - but my husband is hooked on cruising - he said that he doesn't have to hear "where are we going to eat, where are we going to stay or anything like that!" ) I also looked at flying to Key West - wow - that was alot of money!

August 8th, best OV price $369!!! (only $15 more than inside!!), SOV (sovereign of the seas) out of Port Canaveral.

OK I checked and the deal is the price is good for deck 2, which are actually port holes, not the obstructed OV. Full view but a a category H. Cat G, deck 3 is on the deck with your dining room very convenient, $379, and cat I is $389 pp. I is supposedly cheaper usually, but not this time.

Maybe do a 3 day. It would be easier if I knew where you could drive to. I love Port Canaveral its so easy to get in and out of. We stayed at the Radisson for $99 hot online rate and the pool is lovely and you park free during your cruise and they shuttle you to the ship free.

I would spend a day doing something else and 3 days cruising? Go see the space shuttle stuff. Spend a night at a hotel in disneyland, prices start at $59 on some off sites.

I could keep the price under $2000 but then Im cheap.

Once you are on your first RCL cruise, then book a next cruise, to get OBC your next cruise, its better than wow OBC, no restrictions with combining sales.

Are you going to be flying to the port destinations? For me (I live in Michigan), Mobile, AL, is always out of the question because flights are like $400-500 pp. Flights to FL are usually less than $200pp for me, but depends on where you're coming from.

When I'm looking for cruise deals I usually check though expedia.com or travelocity.com and look for the cheapest one or best deal. Then I call a pvp and book directly through the cruise line, and in my experience they have matched the price from whatever website I'm looking at. That's how I got my 4 night cruise for 279pp for this August.

We are doing the 5 day on the Victory in a balcony(4 people) for a better deal than both of those. I just booked too.

I would shop around. I would do the Enchantment over most older Carnival ships any time any day.

Check out NCL Sky. It is now sailing out of Miami on 3 and 4 days. They have a big sell right now. KIDS SAIL FREE!!!!!!!!!

We just booked a three day. I will be creating a count down in just a few minutes.

I am trying to decide on spring break 2009. It is driving me crazy!!!!!

Actually the Royal Caribbean cruise is $2840.00 and the Carnival one is $2331.00 - so to me that has ended up being quite a bit of a difference. After we got finished talking the lady with RC told me that I didn't qualify for WOW because I was booking a cruise that was leaving before Sept. 1st. So the only thing I actually qualified for was there a Georgia Discount at the present time - she said that could be pulled at anytime - she said it savd about $70.00 a cabin - but even with the savings - two oceanview rooms side by side was $2840.00 for 4 days - that was as cheap as she could get it. Carnival has told me that the cheapest they could get me a 4 day cruise (I was really wanting 5) was $2331.00. I guess I'm leaning toward the Carnival one.

What do you consider a "Summer Cruise" ? Carnival is running a Ga. state residency promo on the Inspiration out of Tampa for the May 29th sailing. 4 nighter to COZ and 2 days at sea.

The cruise that is May 29th - I think that is the one that a group of middle schoolers from our town is going on. I checked the price of that about a month ago - and it wasn't very cheap. When will they start running the Georgia Resident Special for the one out of Tampa?

Yes we are within driving distance of any of the ports in Florida, Alabama or Charleston. (Actually the some of the cruises seemed cheaper out of New York - but we couldn't drive there or fly there).

The cruise that is May 29th - I think that is the one that a group of middle schoolers from our town is going on. I checked the price of that about a month ago - and it wasn't very cheap. When will they start running the Georgia Resident Special for the one out of Tampa?

Yes we are within driving distance of any of the ports in Florida, Alabama or Charleston. (Actually the some of the cruises seemed cheaper out of New York - but we couldn't drive there or fly there).

That Ga. resident promo is still available for the 29th sailing from TAMPA... there is also a sr. promo, past passenger prom also still available on this sailing.

I was just looking on travelocity and it shows the cruise on the Victory is out of Virginia (we couldn't do that) but the balcony shows $1249.00 per person (I know the 3rd & 4th would be cheaper) but that is still alot isn't it?

Are you strictly wanting to go in May? If not shop around for a bit more. The Sovereign class ships have an excellent price for the deck 8 because they are obstructed but not all are truly obstructed.

I like Carnival because the rooms are larger. That makes a difference to us. But we cruise both cruiselines and enjoy them both. We have been on the Sovereign, Enchantment and FOS and we are booked on the Monarch for next year. On Carnival we have been on Celebration, Fantasy, Sensation (this weekend) and we are booked on the Pride for November. We have also been on Disney 3 times and NCL once.

No actually today when I was looking at booking a cruise I was looking at July 24th on the Holiday and July 31st on Enchantment of the Seas. I was trying to make reservations when my children were out of school - my son is out from May 23rd until August 25th. My daughter is in college she will be available from July 17th until august 9th. I think we could save some money by all four being in one room - but we have never tried that before. We have been to Nassau 3 times already - so I was trying to find somewhere other than Nassau or Freeport to go. But a cruise is a cruise - so I'm not choosy - it is the sea days I like best anyway!

Im on Victory out NYC.

I chose a cruise and then used the site on here that so many recommend that sends competitive quotes. I got a great price. I am paying $100 less than I did in 06 for same cruise in an inside quad. We got a balcony quad this time.:D

I was just looking on the NCL Sky out of Miami - I see where it shows the discount price - but then when I pull it up - the discounted price is really beginning in September.

The 'kids free' thing is if you book a cruise sailing in July or after, by May 31st.

And by kids free, they mean up to the age of SEVENTEEN!

This was part of the email I got from an online TA:

Beginning in July, the ship will sail 3- and 4-day cruises from Miami to Nassau and NCL's private island, Great Stirrup Cay. Prices start at just $229 per person for 3-day cruises and $249 per person for 4-day cruises. Plus, if you book by May 31 and cruise between July 14 and September 29, children between the ages of 6 months and 17 years cruise for FREE! Government taxes and fees and the fuel surcharge must still be paid for all passengers.

How do I find out about the Georgia Resident discount that was mentioned? I can't find it on the website. I did go to one of the websites yesterday where you put in your information and different companies send you quotes on cruises. All of the quotes that I got yesterday were really high - that was for The Glory, Inspiration & Holiday - actually the PVP with Carnival offered me the best deal of them all - and that was the one on Holiday but like I said it was $2331.00. But I would like to check into the Georgia Resident thing - I do know that Royal Caribbean had that yesterday. The cruises on Sky Blu out of Miami were way to much for a 3 day cruise during July or early August - especially to drive that many hours.

I am opened to finding suggestions for the cheapest price though. Would you recommend staying in one room compared to two? That seems so crowded.

I know a cruise is a cruise. We are on the Sensation tomorrow. Do not care much for Nassau but who cares!! lol

I would try RCCI Enchantment and then Carnival Fantasy. Compare those prices. They have a bit of a different port itinerary. Also do not count out a 7 day cruise. Have you called Carnival or RCI? I would call them and just have them spend some time helping me do some research on the pricing. I remember you noted that you were looking at Travelocity. I use them for a lot as a search tool. I then in return call the cruiseline to book the cruise. Only once has the cruiseline not matched the price. I saved then by booking with Travelocity. I just like to save the fee they charge.

How do I find out about the Georgia Resident discount that was mentioned? I can't find it on the website. I did go to one of the websites yesterday where you put in your information and different companies send you quotes on cruises. All of the quotes that I got yesterday were really high - that was for The Glory, Inspiration & Holiday - actually the PVP with Carnival offered me the best deal of them all - and that was the one on Holiday but like I said it was $2331.00. But I would like to check into the Georgia Resident thing - I do know that Royal Caribbean had that yesterday. The cruises on Sky Blu out of Miami were way to much for a 3 day cruise during July or early August - especially to drive that many hours.

I am opened to finding suggestions for the cheapest price though. Would you recommend staying in one room compared to two? That seems so crowded.

Go to carnivals website and fill in the info including state you live in and you should get the resident rates. Or call CCL direct. 4 guests staying in one stateroom will probably save you $$$, BUT, is it worth it when you only have 1 bathroom ??? Personally, 2 is just right in a stateroom in my eyes !

I would help you out more if I could, but not allowed to give you my email addy per board guidelines, but if you can provide yours, I will contact you if you need assistance.

Archived