Athens on your own trip report

We were docked in Piraeus from 7 AM to 5 PM, and decided to tour independently. Our pictures are at

http://travel.webshots.com/album/563682706BYVRVe

We got off the ship at 7:15, which proved to be a wise decision, because there is a lot to see and it does take a while to get into Athens from the port of Piraeus. We first walked to the metro, which was a pleasant walk in the early morning cool air. Our pace was about 3.5 miles per hour, and it took us 25 minutes. A taxi driver hailed us and offered to take us to the metro, which would be a good option for people in a hurry or who don’t enjoy walking. There is a good, safe sidewalk, and as long as you keep the water on your left and keep walking past all the ferry piers, you can’t miss seeing the escalator and overhead walkway that lead across the main street to the metro stop. Fare was 0.80 €, and the metro was very efficient since it is not affected by traffic. It took us about 20 minutes to get to Monasterion (Monasteraki) stop.

When we got off the metro, we were turning around trying to get our bearings, when I chanced to look up in the sky. And there it was: the Acropolis. Gee whiz, that thing is high! You can’t miss it. We walked towards it, hitting the Roman forum on the way. Since that site is included in the 12 € combo ticket for the Acropolis, we bought our tickets there to avoid lines. Then kept walking towards the Acropolis, detouring slightly to climb the Areopagus on the way. Great view!

The Acropolis was another awe-inspiring site. So much to see there, including the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. We had been studying Frommer’s “Athens Past and Present” book and Peter Connolly’s “The Ancient City” before our trip, so we were pretty well oriented. If you prefer a guide, there were several of them offering tours by the entrance. The museum was closed and the Acropolis was heavily scaffolded, but it was still a breath-taking sight.

Coming down off the Acropolis, we walked to the ancient Agora. We had some maps copied from guidebooks, but http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm was really all we needed. Toured the Temple of Hephaestos (the only ancient Greek temple with an intact roof), the Agora, and the small but excellent museum housed in the Stoa of Attalos.

Then we headed towards the National Archaeological Museum. First we went back to the metro and took it to Viktoria stop, then walked until we could see the museum. We needed a rest and a snack, and luckily there are tons of cafés near the museum. After listening before the trip to some Greek tapes, which all seemed to emphasize ordering spanakopita, it was fun to actually order some! (Don’t worry, though, everyone spoke English.)

At 7 €, the National Archaeological Museum of Athens is an amazing bargain. What a superlative collection! We spent hours there, until we couldn’t take in any more, and still saw fewer than half the rooms. They have some incredible pieces, including the well-known smiling Kouros, the spear-throwing Poseidon rescued from the sea, the jockey of Artemision, and Trojan gold including Schliemann's "Gold Mask of Agamemnon". Very deserving of a visit.

After a final Greek coffee, we metro’d back to Piraeus, then walked to the ship. After a little shopping in the small selection of shops (only 5-6) in the port building, we boarded in time for 5:00 sailaway.

thanks for the great review. My wife and I intend to do the same thing on our visit in August. We were considering taking a walking tour of the Acropolis. Any idea of how much the tour guides at the entrance were charging? Did you feel like you got enough history/appreciation in the Acropolis by yourself?

Any idea of how much the tour guides at the entrance were charging??

Sorry, we didn't ask.

Did you feel like you got enough history/appreciation in the Acropolis by yourself?

Yes, because we had done some reading ahead of time and had pages showing what the buildings looked like when they were intact. I don't think a self-guided visitor could really appreciate what they're seeing at the Acropolis without having done some homework and/or having some reference material along.

One of the best books we used to prepare for Rome and Athens was Peter Connolly's "The Ancient City". It would be awfully big and heavy to bring along, but some photocopied pages might help.

thanks for the great review. My wife and I intend to do the same thing on our visit in August. We were considering taking a walking tour of the Acropolis. Any idea of how much the tour guides at the entrance were charging? Did you feel like you got enough history/appreciation in the Acropolis by yourself?

Last year we had a group of 8 people and the guide was charging 15 Euros each. If I remember correctly, there was a small booth set up between the area where you buy tickets to the Acropolis and the actual entrance gate. Also, there is a snack bar located right near the ticket booth and restrooms to the right of the entrance. Try to go as early as you can, since it gets progressively crowded especially when the tour busses arrive.

Our group decided not to hire the guide since we all had guide books. But, truthfully, there is not a lot of information on signs once you are on the site, and I think a guide would really be worth it.

Last year we had a group of 8 people and the guide was charging 15 Euros each. If I remember correctly, there was a small booth set up between the area where you buy tickets to the Acropolis and the actual entrance gate. Also, there is a snack bar located right near the ticket booth and restrooms to the right of the entrance. Try to go as early as you can, since it gets progressively crowded especially when the tour busses arrive.

Our group decided not to hire the guide since we all had guide books. But, truthfully, there is not a lot of information on signs once you are on the site, and I think a guide would really be worth it.

thanks, I was considering Athens Walking Tours which are about 29 Euros pp for 3 hours at the Acropolis. So I could consider just trying to get a guide right at the Acropolis. Would like to hear someone's opinion who used a guide there.

I am really enjoying your reviews. We are planning to go to the Nat Arch museum too. Were there english guides to the pieces or signs on them?

Yes, all the pieces had signs in English, and the museum map they gave us was also in English.

• 1 month later...

Athens is very doable on your own. A good guidebook will give you lots of information. To be honest with you a guide usually tells me a lot more than I ever wanted to know, and uses up time doing it ...

For a slightly different approach, based on following the Antiquities Promenade from the Temple of Zeus to the Kerameikos Cemetery, Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Everybody have a GREAT cruise!

splatz26, another train came along every 10 minutes or so. Not a long wait at all, and you don't have to worry about traffic like you would with a taxi or bus.

We allowed about an hour (we always plan to get back at least 30 minutes before all-aboard) and made it in 45 minutes or so. If you are planning to take a taxi from the metro to the ship instead of walking back, you could allow a little less time.

Sharon, I got about 60 euros from AAA (their $100 tip pack) before we left, just because I'm nervous not having the cab fare from the airport in my pocket. Other than that, we relied on ATMs in Europe. You will pay a fee no matter how you convert currency, but we found ATMs cheaper than airport currency shops, AAA, US banks, the ship, or any other source.

What a wonderful review. I would add a small warning to anyone thinking about using the train/subway. Its a great option, fast, clean, and cheap. But, its also a very popular place for pickpockets (mostly gypsies) who know that this train is full of tourists carrying cash (remember, Pireaus is a major ferry port). Be very careful with your valuables on this train (and everywhere else).

Hank

Yowza! What a great day we had last week on the Acropolis! Walked out of the port a few blocks and hailed three taxis for 13 of us to take us straight to the Acropolis (20E). We had the whole place to ourselves!! We had to actually find someone to take our picture in front of the Parthenon! As we were leaving an hour later there were so many people in front of the Parthenon we would have never had the picture of us alone! Go early. Take a taxi all the way! Beat the crowds. The weather was awesome. Clear as a bell for 50 miles!! It was fantastic!

Hi Susan

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. We will be going in a couple of weeks and I have printed off your review to take with me.

One down, several more to go. :D We have a few tours booked but really prefer to have the freedom to do our own.

Thanks again

Betty

Athens is very doable on your own. A good guidebook will give you lots of information. To be honest with you a guide usually tells me a lot more than I ever wanted to know, and uses up time doing it ...

For a slightly different approach, based on following the Antiquities Promenade from the Temple of Zeus to the Kerameikos Cemetery, Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Everybody have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you so much Mike for your excellent step-by-step review of the Antiquities Promenade. We will be on the Azamara Quest in October and will spend 2 -days post cruise in Athens. This review has helped me immensely plan out our first day. Wonderful!

Archived