Beware QM2 cabins on Deck 6- 6206

bonni99

Just a pre warning to light sleepers- we were in room 6206 for our Mediterranean cruise on the QM2 10-21 September and the room we were allocated to was very noisy! It is directly under the Kings court, and seemingly the kitchen itself as we were woken up on two mornings at around 5am and then there was noise throughout the day. We had the assistant pursar come to our room and we were eventually moved the next day- I think we were lucky to be moved though as the cruise was very full! be careful though- as the noise can be very distracting and even the pursar admitted there were a few design flaws when it comes to rooms!

Savvy cruisers always try to get cabins on decks with cabins below and above. My 5 deck cabin was very quiet. Also 4 deck aft was very quiet save a little engine vibration.... Savvy travellers always pack ear plugs.

Tom in Long Beach

I love deck 4 , not too far back, nice and peaceful

We had very similar problems in Cabin 6214. In looking at the deck plan I see that both cabins are in the same area and are inside cabins. Being inside cabins, they would not have the problem of joggers but there is definitely noise from the King's Court. We had this cabin on our first cruise on the QM2 in 2004. Since that experience, we have become "more savvy" in our cabin selection. Thanks for the warning, Bonni. Reading Cruise Critic makes us more aware of potential problems.

Beth

Savvy cruisers always try to get cabins on decks with cabins below and above. My 5 deck cabin was very quiet. Also 4 deck aft was very quiet save a little engine vibration....

Tom in Long Beach

Deck 6 aft is a quiet location as well.

I always get my cabin whenever I sail on QM2. ;)

If you go aft of the last stair tower on that ship, you're pretty safe.

Savvy cruisers always try to get cabins on decks with cabins below and above... Also 4 deck aft was very quiet save a little engine vibration.... Savvy travellers always pack ear plugs.

According to Deck Plans, savvy cruisers should avoid 4 Deck aft, as cabins there are just above the Queen's ballroom and G32 night club.

I have not travelled there, but I know from other ships that a ballroom or a disco nearby can be really annoying. Is it the same for 4 Deck aft QM2 cabins?

According to Deck Plans, savvy cruisers should avoid 4 Deck aft, as cabins there are just above the Queen's ballroom and G32 night club.

I have not travelled there, but I know from other ships that a ballroom or a disco nearby can be really annoying. Is it the same for 4 Deck aft QM2 cabins?

A very good question, and one I would like the answer to as I am in one of the cabins above the Queens Room in July 2009.

A very good question, and one I would like the answer to as I am in one of the cabins above the Queens Room in July 2009.

How long is the trip for?

I'm curious myself, because I have a 4 deck cabin Dec 2009 in the same location.

If it was for 4 days, or whatever, I'd give it a try to see if I could tolerate it.

(Which reminds me, I might give that a shot for a 4 dayer in Aug 2009 ... :) )

Be careful of Deck 4 cabins directly above the Royal Court theatre...the vibration and noise from the productions and from afternoon rehearsals would keep anyone awake whether they are savvy enough to pack ear plugs or not- after all ear plugs dont block out vibrations!

6255 is under the Queen's Grill and near a service area. It suffers noise at 5.15am (I think it was this time) every morning for about 5 minutes - like clockwork. Banging and scraping noises.

(The laundrette next door was never an issue).

First trip was on deck 5 (5251) - never heard a thing

6255 is under the Queen's Grill and near a service area. It suffers noise at 5.15am (I think it was this time) every morning for about 5 minutes - like clockwork. Banging and scraping noises.

(The laundrette next door was never an issue).

First trip was on deck 5 (5251) - never heard a thing

DH and I were directly under the Grill kitchen. We heard banging, scraping and pounding all night long. After two nights of no sleep, we complained and were moved to deck 10.

How long is the trip for?

I'm curious myself, because I have a 4 deck cabin Dec 2009 in the same location.

If it was for 4 days, or whatever, I'd give it a try to see if I could tolerate it.

(Which reminds me, I might give that a shot for a 4 dayer in Aug 2009 ... :) )

It's the 4 day one leaving on the 20th July 2009, so I will manage if it noisy and know not to go there again. I have booked a D7 but hope the upgrade fairy might pay me a visit. :D

Yes please, an answer! We're in the same predicament for a TA in April 2009. I rationalized that the Queen's Room might be sedate, or am I dreaming. I've already asked the travel agent to change rooms for us once - she booked a connecting room the first time. Guess we'll find some ear plugs!

Thank you all for the wonderful information.

How do you add your signature lines with previous voyages?

The QM2 is scheduled to be dry dock October 2008 for approx. 24 days. I assume these rooms will be changed/removed due to all the complaints.

I found it interesting that the main desk said we were the only people who ever complained about the noise in that cabin! Our room steward said that most people complain and usually request to move their room. She said please don't tell anyone.

Hi Ina! LTNS ... how ya been?

Your cabin was in my neck of the woods on board. :D

Did you enjoy QM2? :)

Hi Vic:

First time on QM2 last April (13 day Caribbean). We loved the ship and cruise, despite our cabin problem, but that was corrected. We are now Cunard fans. Nothing can compare in our eyes.

We are fine and still cruising as much as possible.

How is "Peter Pan"??:D :D

We did the August 13th Eastbound TA in Stateroom 4200, which is directly over the Ballroom and Night club. NO noise problems ever. I will book that same area of the ship again. The in hull balcony is perfect for a crossing.

Cheers,

Peg

We were in Cabin 4119 in 2004, 2005, and 2006. The cabin is above the Chart Room and for the first two times on board we never heard anything below us. On the 2006 cruise we were entertained with very heavy bass sounds from the band in the Chart Room till about 1 AM.

What we discovered is that the speakers in the ceiling below are cabin produced the heavy base sound through our cabin floor. When we notified the Pursuar's Office about it, we got a return call from a representative with an apology and a promise to deal with it. Well, not much changed that night but it did get better for the rest of the cruise. Ear plugs helped just a little, because the sound vibrated through the bed.

I guess because we were so nice about the situation, we were invited to dine with Commodore Warner two nights later. He had no trouble with sleeping at night unless the Queen Mary 2 horn was blasted.

On our last cruise in 2007, we were in Cabin 5156 and found it to be very quiet. We will be in the same area on Deck Five this Saturday, October 4, for a roundtrip crossing in order to return with a tandem cruise with the Queen Elizabeth 2 from Southampton on October 10.

One slight problem on all cabins with sheltered balconies is the banging of the balcony doors by your fellow nearby passengers. This can occur at any time.

Bon voyage to all ............. Terrence and Loretta

Archived