Trasportation from Piraeus to Athens

I'm unable to find much information online about this, so thought I'd ask here....

What would be the easiest and most economical way to get into Athens during our port stop at Piraeus? I've heard that the Metro can be quite a hike, depending where the ship docks (one person in our party might not be able to walk that far) and I've heard the taxi's are a rip off. I'm thinking those might be the only options, or do you know if Princess would have a shuttle running for a fee?

We're thinking about doing the Athens Walking Tour and would need to meet the guide inside the Syntagma Metro Station.

Otherwise, we may end up doing a ship's shore excursion to avoid the transporation hassles. We're just trying to avoid the overpriced, crowded big group excursions if we can.

Thank you for any help!

I'm unable to find much information online about this, so thought I'd ask here....

What would be the easiest and most economical way to get into Athens during our port stop at Piraeus? I've heard that the Metro can be quite a hike, depending where the ship docks (one person in our party might not be able to walk that far) and I've heard the taxi's are a rip off. I'm thinking those might be the only options, or do you know if Princess would have a shuttle running for a fee?

We're thinking about doing the Athens Walking Tour and would need to meet the guide inside the Syntagma Metro Station.

Otherwise, we may end up doing a ship's shore excursion to avoid the transporation hassles. We're just trying to avoid the overpriced, crowded big group excursions if we can.

Thank you for any help!

I guess I am a tad confused. You say you have someone in your party who can't walk to the metro (15-20 minutes) but then you are doing a "walking tour" of Athens ?????? (perhaps 4 hrs of walking)

Thank you for any help!

Here you have a port map:

http://www.olp.gr/Images/Epivatiko/info_port2.jpg

Most ship berth at E11 and E12.

You need to walk to E6 to get to the subway which is about 15-20 minutes walk from E11.

http://www.isap.gr/eng/index.asp

Regarding Taxi in Athens... One of our NEVER AGAIN-List...

But we have booked a taxi for our Piraeus call as our hair stylist's sister runs a taxi in Athens...

Regards,

HeinBloed

"I guess I am a tad confused. You say you have someone in your party who can't walk to the metro (15-20 minutes) but then you are doing a "walking tour" of Athens ?????? (perhaps 4 hrs of walking)"

texancruiser: I probably should have been more specific....I heard that it could possibly be a 2 mile walk to the Metro station, depending where the ship is docked. Our walking tour is 3 hours but we only walk about 1/2 mile in those 3 hours--seeing the Acropolis and nearby attractions.

I had no idea it was only a 15-20 min walk to the Metro. I have not seen any maps, I only read that it could be a really long walk...like up to 2 miles, according to a poster on another message board. I did think that sounded strange, that the Metro would be that far away. The person in our party has no problem walking at all, they just walk very slow and I didn't want to spend an hour walking to the Metro, that's all.

HeinBloed -

Thank you so much for the information!! It is a great help and I really appreciate it!

:)

Just to make it clear...

If you berth at Terminal B (very left of the map - Southwest of E12) it could be the 2 miles which are mentioned.

But most major lines berth at Terminal A at E 11 which can be handled quite well.

When you return and you have some time left...

Take the red tram line from Syntagma Square

(= ARISTOTELIS-Line No. 4)

towards

Stadium of Peace and Friendship

Stadio Irinis & Filias (S.E.F.)

http://www.tramsa.gr/index.cfm?page_id=169&lang_id=1##

You can see some of the "new" Olympic venues of the 2004-Games (not 1896) in Athens and going along side of the beach.

At S.E.F. you can change back to the Metro or take a taxi from here.

It's a nice ride to sea a little of the daily life. Especially if you take the seats at the rear:

a beautiful view to the Akropolis...

Regards,

HeinBloed

It WAS a bit of a hike from where we docked--we took a taxi for 10 euros. Worth it to save our poor feet which were exhausted by the time we got to Athens. Very easy to hop on the metro from where they drop you off and a short ride into Athens proper.

Actually it is quite a climb up to the Acropolis, not sure how close your guide can drive you. We walked up from the Monostraiki station and enjoyed it but it might be challenging for some in your party.

FYI on the way back the taxi only charged 5 euros to take us back to the ship. I think we were at the end of the line--sure looked that way.

Cathy

I had no idea it was only a 15-20 min walk to the Metro. I have not seen any maps, I only read that it could be a really long walk...like up to 2 miles, according to a poster on another message board. I did think that sounded strange, that the Metro would be that far away. The person in our party has no problem walking at all, they just walk very slow and I didn't want to spend an hour walking to the Metro, that's all.

I had also read it was only a 15 min walk to the metro, but last April on the Legend of the Seas we were docked at a pier far away from the main pier and it took my DH and I at least 30 min of brisk walking to get to the metro station. Just be aware, there is more than one "pier" area.

In past years, there has not been any Princess shuttle available, FYI.

Hmmmm. Hadn't read any posts where the walk was 2 miles :eek: Guess if we are "parked" a long way will just hop a cab to the metro. 10 euros versus only 1 day to see Athens = $$ well spent (IMO)

Heinbloed: Your map is much better than the one I had !! thanks.

When we disembarked from our cruise in Athens, we walked thru the terminal and picked up a taxi. We were going to a hotel in the Placka and we asked him how much the fare would be. It was reasonable and not a rip off. If you act like you know what you are taling about, location of destination in comparison to where you are, they are less likely to take advantage of you. If the walk doesn't bother you, then take the underground as it is cheaper.

Carol

Thanks to everyone for the info & tips!

It looks like there is only one other ship in port that day, so we will probably be at the closer berth. But if we're not, we'll just take a taxi to the Metro and act like we know what we're doing.:o

I also just realized our ship docks at 6am...I mistakenly thought it was 8am and our tour would start at 9:30am, so now we have more leeway.

We were docked about as far from the metro as you can be. We walked it in 25 minutes at a pace of about 3.5 MPH. There was a taxi driver just past the pier, calling out that he would be happy to take people to the metro. That's what I would do if there was a slow walker in my party. Would still be cheaper and faster than the ship transportation, and the metro is not affected by traffic jams.

The ship's tours we saw at the Acropolis were HUGE! After walking and taking the metro, we were leaving just as the big tour buses arrived.

I'm not sure what your tour includes, but if you are seeing even just the Acropolis and the Agora, from metro stations, I think you can count on more than 1/2 mile of walking. And much of it will be steep. If you are also visiting the Plaka or other areas, I would warn your slow walker that it could be a couple of miles or more.

I totally agree, and also, try very hard to get to the Acropolis before the tour buses do! We were delayed through no fault of our own, and shuffled along in a huge group of very slow moving people--it was akin to torture. Okay when we got to the top but there is only one way up and it was 'bumper to bumper". Our friends left as soon as the ship docked and had the whole pace to themselves. Also we were lucky to be there on Sunday when all attractions are free.

Cathy

"I'm not sure what your tour includes, but if you are seeing even just the Acropolis and the Agora, from metro stations, I think you can count on more than 1/2 mile of walking. And much of it will be steep. If you are also visiting the Plaka or other areas, I would warn your slow walker that it could be a couple of miles or more."

CoralReef -

I have warned our slow walker (my mom) about the ascent to the Acropolis. She doesn't have any disabilities, just moves rather slow (although, that might not be saying much...I'm an extremely fast walker, so she might not be as slow to others as I'm painting her to be). But, I myself need to get in better shape for the climbing or I might be the slow one. We'll just keep to the right and let others pass by:).

I totally agree, and also, try very hard to get to the Acropolis before the tour buses do! We were delayed through no fault of our own, and shuffled along in a huge group of very slow moving people--it was akin to torture. Okay when we got to the top but there is only one way up and it was 'bumper to bumper". Our friends left as soon as the ship docked and had the whole pace to themselves. Also we were lucky to be there on Sunday when all attractions are free.

Cathy

CathyCruises -

The attractions are free on Sundays?-the Acropolis and other sites?? We will be there on a Sunday...that will be a nice bonus!:)

CathyCruises -

The attractions are free on Sundays?-the Acropolis and other sites?? We will be there on a Sunday...that will be a nice bonus!:)

Some Sundays are free (as well as other days through the year) ... a list of the free days is provided on this site: http://www.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2384

We've been on both a free day, and a regular day ... the free day was an unexpected bonus, but the 12 euro admission fee for multiple sites is still very good value.

Oh, maybe we just got lucky. I wondered if they refunded the ship tour people anything because they didn't have to pay? :D Right!

We found that the hike looked much worse than it was--you go up a bit, then straight a bit, then up again--you are thee before you know it!

Cathy

we tried walking to the metro from the ship..got a little lost so we hopped on a bus...tickets for sale in convenience stores and cigarette shops..also news stands....surface trip was long..as would be a cab ride as traffic is a nightmare...but this is an option as the buses are closer to the port than the metro...took the metro back...we walked to the ship but would have cabbed it had we been tired....even though on a previous stay in Athens we got totally ripped off by a cab driver going to the hotel after a day of sightseeing..

we tried walking to the metro from the ship..got a little lost so we hopped on a bus...tickets for sale in convenience stores and cigarette shops..also news stands....surface trip was long..as would be a cab ride as traffic is a nightmare...but this is an option as the buses are closer to the port than the metro...took the metro back...we walked to the ship but would have cabbed it had we been tired....even though on a previous stay in Athens we got totally ripped off by a cab driver going to the hotel after a day of sightseeing..

Captain: please clarify, you took the city bus from your ship to the metro ? or bus into the city ? If you took the bus from your ship to the metro station at the port.....how close to the ship did you catch it ? And tickets ?? Stores near your ship ?? Sorry I am confused. We plan to walk from our ship to the metro station (if it is not too far) and take a cab if it is. But if there is another alternative I would like to know. Thanks. TEX

..we took the bus all the way after we had walked out from the pier...thought I had the way to the metro figured out but made a wrong turn...I would go metro as it is much faster..and easier to figure out...but just wanted to let people know that the bus is a backup plan

would like to give you directions to where we caught the bus but as were were a little lost I can't...we had walked about 10 minutes...and the port area is huge so you can be docked in a myriad of places..go for the metro...just google map it to get better directions than I had

one of my nicknames is "wrong way"...I am great at reading maps but terrible at street level direction

would like to give you directions to where we caught the bus but as were were a little lost I can't...we had walked about 10 minutes...and the port area is huge so you can be docked in a myriad of places..go for the metro...just google map it to get better directions than I had

one of my nicknames is "wrong way"...I am great at reading maps but terrible at street level direction

No need to apologize - I am married to a "wrong way" also !!!! That is why I do all the planning and navigating ;)

will stick with original plan to walk to metro but if we are docked "in the back 40" will take a cab to metro - I do not plan to wear myself out before I even get started !

Archived