Crew members' "salaries"?

screagan

From a court case, it will tell you what was typical in 1998:

Cabrera Espinal worked on Royal Caribbean Cruises' ("RCC") ships as a tip-earning employee under a contract that commenced on December 23, 1997 and expired on November 23, 1998. The contract provided for at-will employment to be terminated with two weeks notice. A collective bargaining agreement ("CBA") governed the contract.

The contract provided for a guaranteed minimum monthly income of $766.00 ($50 in contract wages and $716 in tips). If an employee did not receive the calculated monthly minimum in tips, RCC would provide the difference.

In February of 1998, Cabrera Espinal herniated a lumbar disc and was unable to finish his employment contract due to his work related injury. Pursuant to the CBA, RCC paid him sick wages from the time he became injured for 112 days in the amount of $766 per month. Cabrera Espinal brought suit against RCC contending that he is entitled to his average or actual monthly salary ($1500 which includes $1450 in tips) as sick wages instead of the guaranteed minimum.

The district court agreed with Cabrera Espinal and found that he was entitled to actual wages for the 112 days provided for in the CBA. RCC now appeals that decision.

(RCC won on appeal and only had to pay the $766)

Wow, that's only $18,000/year. I'm not sure I'd even get our of bed for that.
Have you looked at the median incomes earned by people in countries around the world. In many countries 18k a year would put you in the very wealthiest percentages. In the US it would be a typical starting wage. I wonder why we have massive illegal immigration, and maximum amounts of legal immigration.:rolleyes:

In trying to find some facts and not just more BS I did a search, and finding world income figures is hard, BTW! :D I will quote from a 2002 Cato institute report.

"The study also shows that economic freedom is strongly linked with both higher levels of income and faster rates of economic growth. The people living in the top one-fifth of the most free countries enjoy an average income of $23,450 and a growth rate in the 1990s of 2.56 percent per year; in contrast, the bottom one-fifth in the rankings had an average income of just $2,556 and a -0.85 percent growth rate in the 1990s.

That economic freedom leads to more and faster wealth creation is no longer a controversial argument. But what of the argument that market capitalism leaves the poor behind? In fact, the poor gain a lot from economic freedom. The share of income going to the poorest 10% of the population is completely unrelated to economic freedom. But poor people are much better off with economic freedom. The poorest 10% of the population have an average income of just $728 in the least free countries compared with over $7000 in the most free countries. Simply put, it is much better to be poor in a free, rich country than an unfree, poor country."

You can read the entire report at http://www.cato.org/dailys/07-03-02.html

The report makes $18000 look pretty good to people in many parts of the world.

jc

$18,000 a year sounds a little better when you realize that there are no housing expenses, no transportation expenses, no food expenses, and no clothing expenses. Also, since the ships are all of non U.S. Registry, there is probably little or no income tax. Factor all those expenses in and you're probably looking at the equivalent of $40,000 or more a year, which is a very large amount of money in most of their home countries. I remember receiving $78 a month (less than $1,000 a year) in salary when I was in the U.S. Army, and I still had money left over for alcohol, cigarettes, "entertainment" and custom-tailored suits and tuxedos from Asian tailors. (Someone has to play devil's advocate. :)

As JC said above, $18000 a year is a very good salary in most countries. Also take into consideration that these crew members send most of their earnings home to provide for their families, and that 99% of their salary comes from their tips. So next time you think about tipping light, think long and hard about it.

Stretch

Yes $18 K may be a very good salary in most countries, but don't forget that crew members aren't exactly working the 35 hour week that I am. Sure in reality I work more than that, but contractually that's what I'm obligated to work.

Beth

Yes $18 K may be a very good salary in most countries, but don't forget that crew members aren't exactly working the 35 hour week that I am. Sure in reality I work more than that, but contractually that's what I'm obligated to work.

Beth

It must be so sweet to be a Canadian! :D :p Actually, I think that the ship's crews do quite well economically, but there is no doubt that they work long hours, with people that are impossible to please. I think they deserve every penny of their tips and salaries. I am very appreciative that they are there to make my holiday wonderful!

jc

You betcha it is! :D What - no wisecrack about working for the government? You're slipping in your old age. :p

Beth

Ok, we all know you're a pompous, overpaid government worker with way too many holidays so what's the point?

Stretch

My Daughter just returned from working on the CD Staff on ship. And there are people waiting in line for the jobs. Compaired to what they would make in their home countries, it is quite a nice income to them. And it is more than $18k !

There is no charge to them for their housing, meals, medical care. And their bar tabs are way lower than the pax !:eek: My DD did OK, but she made about half of what a good waiter or steward does.

The only thing she 'hated' was the crabby pax that would get mad about the Captail not sailin the ship into a hurracane. Or blamein the line for any thing not open in a port, or the port being closed. Some people get stupid,,,,oh well.

1) I've already written it somewhere here... I used to be a math teacher in Ukraine. (approx 9 years ago) I was making $50 month working full time. It's now still under $100.

2) Wait staff and cabin attendants usually get more than $18,000 a year. I made calculations. Even on Celebrity (where waiters have less people to wait on) they have about 20 people... $28 (minimum) per week per person is 20 * $28 = $560. Which is about 39 weeks X $560 = $21,840.

It's a long road to become waiter/cabin attendant though. I met a guy from Russia (actualy Lithuania) who was working as cleaning person and assistant of cabin attendant (cleaning bathrooms). Starting contract was $450 a month (company pays for flight). He said they were working around 20 hours a day and food was poor. They really have to establish connections to get anywhere. He also said that cabin stewards usually make between $3000 and $4000. ( So there are people who tip more;) )

You guys are talking about the people that you see day after day. Think about how long it took them to get there. The people that work down below that you never see get treated like "slaves" They are very under paid.

We were on a 11 day cruise and our table waiter and busboy never got a day off. They started at 5am for breakfast, then did lunch. Had a few hrs off in the afternoon and then did dinner. The only time they had off was when we were in port and the ship didn't have as many places to eat.

If any of you have been reading about all the trouble on the Norwegan " Pride of Aloha" that has a totally american crew. They don't work near as hard and sure don't offer the service.

Also remember that these people on the ships also leave their families and loved ones for mths and mths at a time. Yes, the money is good if they are a higher paying position and if they have great tippers.

We talked to a room stewart and she had 2 cruises that several of the cabins didn't tip.

I think that is why a lot of cruises are going to the automatic tipping of $10 a day per person.

Just my opinion. But I think that they deserve all the money they can get for working those long hrs and days

Karen P,

If they never get a day off how do you see them at an internet cafe in a port calling home ? They get 1/2 days, 2x per week. BUT this is their choice of a job ! Just as it is for you and I where ever we live and chose to work. They can leave the ship at any given port at any given time, if they want to quit. Yet, there are a good many that have 4,5,6,7, and more years of time on the job !

Time to let it go and acept the fact that they like what they are doing.

Would they like to have a better pay grade ? DUH, sure ! But would not we all.

As for the 'Pride', price the cost to cruise on Her. In the next year this to shall pass, as NCL wont be able to keep up a non-profitable route.

Can't agree with you 100% there wallie. My g/f has told me that lots of people on the ship really miss their families back home. They aren't doing this job by choice cause they love it so much (although some like my g/f are). They are doing it because it's the best option for them to provide for their family.

Like others have pointed out, they can make significantly more than they do back in their home countries, which often isn't enough.

Can't agree with you 100% there wallie. My g/f has told me that lots of people on the ship really miss their families back home. They aren't doing this job by choice cause they love it so much (although some like my g/f are). They are doing it because it's the best option for them to provide for their family.

Like others have pointed out, they can make significantly more than they do back in their home countries, which often isn't enough.

I can agree with you 100%. Cause I have yet to see in any job field, in any business, where 'everyone' loves their job or status 100%. We all (or almost all :D ) do whatever it takes to provide for those we love and care for. Shoot, there are oil field workers away from home in the states right now in all areas of the world cause they can make more there than they can HERE ! They are working 10-15 hour shifts, 7 days a week ! BUT again by their choice !

Has any of us 'ever' told some stranger just how much we make just cause they ask at dinner ? NO, we will try and make small talk to ensure a deal is sealed, or as the case on ship, a better gratuity is left. It is called the method to the madness.

Freedom of choice is what we have, and most of the rest of the world would like to have.

I can agree with you 100%. Cause I have yet to see in any job field, in any business, where 'everyone' loves their job or status 100%. We all (or almost all :D ) do whatever it takes to provide for those we love and care for. Shoot, there are oil field workers away from home in the states right now in all areas of the world cause they can make more there than they can HERE ! They are working 10-15 hour shifts, 7 days a week ! BUT again by their choice !

Has any of us 'ever' told some stranger just how much we make just cause they ask at dinner ? NO, we will try and make small talk to ensure a deal is sealed, or as the case on ship, a better gratuity is left. It is called the method to the madness.

Freedom of choice is what we have, and most of the rest of the world would like to have.

EW, have I told you I love you recently?:D You are the man! :cool: Wallie is my idol!:cool:

jc

Archived