Internet service?

patches12

I don't know much about computers or wireless internet, but I wondered how the cruise line could charge you for internet service if you use your own laptop? How does that work?

If you use your own cell phone does it work the same way? Do they have some way of charging you for using your own cell phone?

:confused: Thanks

I don't know much about computers or wireless internet, but I wondered how the cruise line could charge you for internet service if you use your own laptop? How does that work?

Real easy.... Their networks are secure......You have to log into their network. To do so you need a password. They then track your time you are logged on and bill you accordingly.

If you use your own cell phone does it work the same way? Do they have some way of charging you for using your own cell phone? :confused: Thanks

To use your cell at sea you have to go through their "cell site" which connects to the satellite that provides the linkage at sea. Your cell phone does not work at sea with your provider's cell sites because they are out of range. It needs the ship's communications systems.

Would you have any idea what the charge is for the internet using your own laptop?

AT&T told me that the cheapest way for me to commicate with home is through text message. To receive a message was no fee but to send a message was 50cents per message. I figure if the kids each text me once a day that was good. They dont care how I am doing, (haha) I only care that they are ok.

So if I use my cell phone while in port they cannot charge me? AT&T told me as long as I am in San Juan or the USVI, then there will be no roaming charges....only my normal usage minutes. Do I have to be off the ship? Maybe I could be on the beach???

With my wireless internet, I have an AT&T air card. It has its own cell number so if I have cell service, I will have internet service. I don't think they would be able to charge me, but then again they may have a way of blocking my signal. I may have to be off the ship to use it too.

Your thoughts?

So if I use my cell phone while in port they cannot charge me? AT&T told me as long as I am in San Juan or the USVI, then there will be no roaming charges....only my normal usage minutes. Do I have to be off the ship? Maybe I could be on the beach???

With my wireless internet, I have an AT&T air card. It has its own cell number so if I have cell service, I will have internet service. I don't think they would be able to charge me, but then again they may have a way of blocking my signal. I may have to be off the ship to use it too.

Your thoughts?

Ships turn off their cell towers when in port. While in port you have to rely on your cell provider's network.

San Juan and USVI are US territories so you should be in AT&T's national plan (double check with AT&T as plans do vary).

No matter what while at sea any communications (either by cell phone or by internet) will have to go through the ship's systems and at the rates the ship charges. For AT&T it costs $2.49 a minute to use Cellular at Sea (which is what should appear on your phone). The cost of internet access varies depending on the cruiseline, but it's generally in the $.50-$.75 per minute range.

You will only be able to use your Aircard when you are in port - which is when the ship's cell tower is turned off. I don't even know if your aircard will work with the ship's cell tower. If it does, it will cost you $2.49 per minute (AT&T's rate to use Cellular at Sea).

All cruise lines block the ability to use those AirCards. Wifi is not free anyplace, unless it's a place like a Starbucks. Ships have package deals where you purchase blocks of time for internet. The more minutes you purchase, the less expensive it is per minute.

As for text messages, you really need to check on those costs. You cannot rely on what your provider says, because they don't know what the cruise line charges for download time if the text message is retrieved while you're on the ship.

Bottom line, is that communication either by cell phone or internet is expensive when on the ship. There is no way around it. No WiFi card or specific cell service is going to get your around that.

Internet pricing varies from cruise line to cruise line, but the cheapest is probably going to be $75 or so for a minimal package of minutes. And it makes no difference if you use your laptop or their terminals.

If you have an international package on your cell that will only save you money when you are on land, not on the ship. Cellular at Sea which most cruise lines (if not all) use is $2.49 per minute.

Text messaging costs vary within cell phone companies, but in general, it will be your cheapest option.

So IF their cell tower is turned off, I may be able to use my cell service off the ship? My aircard has two modes...wi-fi and cell. I usually use the cell part to go on the internet. I don't think I have ever used the wi-fi.

Archived