2/3 Day Cruises Are they worth it?

I am definately in "cruise soon" mode after watching the Radiance sailaway last night with my CC cruisie mates...and it got me thinking.

This 2 dayer on the Radiance is the first short cruise I have ever done...I was not interested in the cruising equivalent of a hop on hop off bus...but last night changed my opnion..

Firstly it is a chance to check out a new ship and a new line for me. Secondly..a whole bunch of us are booked so I am going to catch up with a lot of old ship mates and make some new ones.

No stress about packing...carry on and then just carry on!

It makes good sense for the cruise lines but I guess the staff dont particularly enjoy them.

As long as they keep the prices to something reasonable..I will treat shorties like a weekend at a good hotel in Sydney...and I think that is about the right price...anything more and I would rather do a "real" cruise.

What do you think? What do you think is a fair price that would entice you on a shortie...have you done short ones before? What did you think? If you had friends who haven't cruised..would a shortie give them a "real" cruise experience.

We did a two night Sydney to Brisbane cruise on Pacific Dawn - when she relocated to Brisbane. And enjoyed it. We did it with family - just to introduce them to being at sea - and to see if they would like it or not.

Since cruising on Oriana and Arcadia for long cruises, I have come to realise that it would be good to be able to experience (even for a short while) visiting ships which you may otherwise not be able to ever go on without spending a fortune travelling Internationally.

Go for it!!

Barry

If I lived in Sydney I would love to experience a new ship even for 2 nights but being in Adelaide we are very restricted as we don't get many ships calling in......I jumped on Pac Sun and Arcadia for short cruises when both stopped at Adelaide and enjoyed both..... so good leaving from your home port :)

I am definately in "cruise soon" mode after watching the Radiance sailaway last night with my CC cruisie mates...and it got me thinking.

This 2 dayer on the Radiance is the first short cruise I have ever done...I was not interested in the cruising equivalent of a hop on hop off bus...but last night changed my opnion..

Firstly it is a chance to check out a new ship and a new line for me. Secondly..a whole bunch of us are booked so I am going to catch up with a lot of old ship mates and make some new ones.

It makes good sense for the cruise lines but I guess the staff dont particularly enjoy them.

As long as they keep the prices to something reasonable..I will treat shorties like a weekend at a good hotel in Sydney...and I think that is about the right price...anything more and I would rather do a "real" cruise.

What do you think? What do you think is a fair price that would entice you on a shortie...have you done short ones before? What did you think? If you had friends who haven't cruised..would a shortie give them a "real" cruise experience.

I think they are great ...but the costs are pretty high.EG: a 3.night cruise to nowhere is up around the 700.00 mark for inside twin or 233.00 per night. for example 8 night cruise to tassie via melbourne 821.00 + 200.00 obc works out 102.60 per night without the OBC.On a cruise you see places etc....3 nighters with P&O usually means down to Jervis Bay and anchor up....not really a cruie experience...maybe a repostioning cruise syd-brissie gives you a hint of cruising.Good to experience a new ship/line but expensive if you relate to a cost per night basis.

Great for a short break or if its hard to get off work......either way it works for some but not for me.

Col & Di:)

We did a two night cruise once and loved it. Still the same charm as a longer cruise --- someone else makes your bed, someone else cooks your food and even serves it to you, people go out of their way to be nice to you and even put on entertainment and music to ensure you enjoy yourself. Two nights or two hundred -- all good to me.

BTW, we have sailed on the Brilliance and the Jewel (sister ships to the Radiance) and loved them both. Photos in the link below.

Go for it and have a great time.

Kathy:)

I think the short cruises are comparable cost wise to 2 nights in a nice hotel, with meals out, drinks and entertainment.

Also a good chance to check out the ships that we may not have time to do a longer cruise on.

What do you think? What do you think is a fair price that would entice you on a shortie...have you done short ones before?

I have to say go for it.

I've done 9 2 nighters in the last 18 months, some were B2B which made it even better.

If you had friends who haven't cruised..would a shortie give them a "real" cruise experience.

Took 'first time' family on one and they got a 'taste', but not the "real" experience I felt.

That's the way I see it - as a good weekend away, because I already know cruising and look forward to the time away with the service they provide.

I also have to mention that the first 2 were so different. First was the last 2 nights of a 42 night cruise followed by a 2 nighter relocation, talk about chalk and cheese cruises.:eek:

I think they are a good option for a quick escape/weekend away, 2/3 days just isn't long enough and when you look at the lost -- it is quite a nice sized deposit for longer 10 - 14 night cruise.

We had some of the people coming away with us in February go on one in the past few months to test the experience and if it is something that they would be ok with doing on a longer scale -- they subsequently booked in Feb on our 2 week cruise.

If it is for a special occasion -- such as a honeymoon, wedding at sea?, birthday or something similar I can see the benefit. But outside of that I don't know that I would actually go away for two days.

Don't get me wrong, any cruise is better than no cruise but for such a short time you would only return wanting ALOT more time away. The main factor that leads me away from them is the price. $300 - $550 (depending on category) is a lot of money for a two day cruise. Yes, you get good value when it comes to travel but personally, I would rather utilise it as a deposit for a longer cruise.

Booked 4 in the last 18 months, usually SYD to BRIS or reverse as we have family in QLD. Great way to commute - more relaxing than air, car or train travel even if it is only one way. Prefer to book onto the longer cruises - World, Cherry Blossom etc - that have some vacancies during sectors. Usually get a great price but they sell quickly. Relocation cruises are also usually well priced. Great for special occasions and agree with Raison - good value.

On Queen Elizabeth in February SYD to BRIS. Can only do one longer cruise per year so they are nice refreshers and great to sample other cruise lines.

How about a 3 day cruise in an inside cabin for $2199.00

Thats right, a 3 day cruise to nowhere, in fact you dont even leave the dock.

Very last minute deal on Volendam this weekend, but itdoes include tickets to the Australia/ Wales and NZ/ France game.:D

3 night SHIP STAY (in port) - AUCKLAND

21/24 October 2011 (Friday to Monday)

Day 1 - Auckland (Embark after 1:00pm)

Tickets to ; Bronze Final (Wales v Australia)

Day 2 - Day in port

Day 3 - Day in port

Tickets to ; Final (New Zealand v France)

Day 4 - Auckland (Disembark after breakfast)

Inside Cabin - NZ$2,199 per person (15 available)

Outside Cabin - NZ$2,399 per person (15 available)

Balcony Cabin - NZ$2,999 per person (10 avaiable)

I have to say go for it.

I've done 9 2 nighters in the last 18 months, some were B2B which made it even better.

Took 'first time' family on one and they got a 'taste', but not the "real" experience I felt.

That's the way I see it - as a good weekend away, because I already know cruising and look forward to the time away with the service they provide.

I also have to mention that the first 2 were so different. First was the last 2 nights of a 42 night cruise followed by a 2 nighter relocation, talk about chalk and cheese cruises.:eek:

PS I think Deb knows what I'm talking about :D

So do I Peter!

Yes, do them, we have done quite a few and it breaks the monotony in between our long cruises. We also regard it like a weekend away. Cheaper than going to the Goldie for a few nights and much more enjoyable. :D

How about a 3 day cruise in an inside cabin for $2199.00

Thats right, a 3 day cruise to nowhere, in fact you dont even leave the dock.

Very last minute deal on Volendam this weekend, but itdoes include tickets to the Australia/ Wales and NZ/ France game.:D

I think that'll appeal in value more to the sporting nuts than the cruising nuts amongst us. :-)

Archived