Sonesta Great Bay Beach-SXM

bandp407

Has anyone recently done the day pass at the Sonesta Great Bay? Some post concerns about pollution in Great Bay - others say not a problem. We are interested in a nice clean beach with water floats, hobbie cats and maybe jet skiis. Since it's an all inclusive how is the food??

Thanks Gary - Yes, Orient is the preferred beach for so many. I saw your breakout and the all inclusive is not the important thing here. You are correct - Little Bay is OK but nothing special . We were there last March. We will have teens with us so some concerns not only with traffic and cost to Orient, but the clothing optional. You can't have it all!

Thanks Gary - Yes, Orient is the preferred beach for so many. I saw your breakout and the all inclusive is not the important thing here. You are correct - Little Bay is OK but nothing special . We were there last March. We will have teens with us so some concerns not only with traffic and cost to Orient, but the clothing optional. You can't have it all!

Traffic congestion and bridge openings are a concern coming back from the Mullet, Maho , Simpson Bay areas but are not a big concern coming back from Orient.

• 3 years later...
Sorry, but there IS a problem with pollution in Great Bay.

gary

Any updates on the pollution issue? Interested in the All Inclusive at Sonesta Great Bay Beach, but don't want to swim in...well you know. :eek:

Any updates on the pollution issue? Interested in the All Inclusive at Sonesta Great Bay Beach, but don't want to swim in...well you know. :eek:

No update other than talk of a "fix" to come but that was a couple of years ago now I think.

Last report I read (which was not recent) attributed the contamination that was present to runoff from the great pond as a result of heavy rains. We enjoyed a week at Sonesta Great Bay last November, we don't spend a lot of time in the ocean but what a great spot to stare out at the water and ships.

Our favorite SXM beach experience to date (beach + nice water + amenities) has been Friar's Bay. Beautiful Bay with calm water and great cuisine at the Beach Club. We stayed on Orient years ago and that and Maho are not for us. Dawn is very nice and closer to the ships but more crowded than Friar's.

Thank you for the replies. I too am unable to find anything recent. Someone suggested that I call the resort. I don't feel that I would get the most accurate answer from them. Is there not a local regulatory agency that monitors this kind of issue that I could contact?

Thank you for the replies. I too am unable to find anything recent. Someone suggested that I call the resort. I don't feel that I would get the most accurate answer from them. Is there not a local regulatory agency that monitors this kind of issue that I could contact?

The fact that the locals still don't swim there is not an official answer by any means but since for many islanders this is their closest beach is telling to me.

For just a close beach day with views of the water and ships Great Bay cannot be beat, and Sonesta is a fun spot to spend the day. Great drinks and bar staff and the food is good and the pools refreshing. It's not a locals beach right there, although we did see locals and other visitors in the water on the walks to and from town. I don't think the hotel will have any feedback for you but you can always contact them, they are very responsive. There were many guests in the ocean every day and we didn't have a problem with wading and floating even though we'd read the report. Again it seems to be an issue with runoff as well but you need to feel comfortable with your day.

If you are looking for a really nice beach and no worries at all about the swimming just head to Dawn (or Friar's which is a bit further but may be calmer). Definitely worth the fare if you want a nice beach and water and a lunch in our opinion! :cool:

Edited by blue_water

I posted this recently.

gary

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from the island, heck we LOVE it. 60 weeks spent on island so far, and will add several more this year.

Just be aware.

This is current news.

Also, as a reminder, check out this Google Earth shot.

All of that drainage (downhill) ultimately ends up in Great Bay.

gary