NCL's iConcierge App: update released for iOS & Androids, download before sailing

mking8288

Heads up - tech geeks for ship comms ... (free, mostly) iConcierge App has been updated again recently. Please check to see if yours had been auto-updated (my settings had them disabled, manually update over WiFi only)

Latest iOS version is now V3.1.509 (Oct 5, 2017) was V3.1.464 or V3.1.501 - compatible when running iOS 7.x or higher (iPhone 5 & higher should all be fine)

Newest Android version is now V3.1.238 (Sept 6, 2017) vs. older V3.1.236.

Both with added functions included for these releases, best when downloaded ahead of cruising, about 33 MB in size for iOS and 20 MB for Androids.

Another free App to be downloaded & use, when using ship's satellite is called "SpeedNet" by EMC, said to support & enhanced mobile web browsing & compatible with NCL ship's server/hardware ...will check this out in about 2 weeks once we get back on the Breakaway again, to see if it make any difference ... limited reviews posted are mixed, at best.

Footnote, my guess is those enhanced features also meant that the known firewalled loopholes for https data transfer protocols, udp and tcp ports commonly left open had been closed or shut/blocked - as the hardware/server and apps get reconfigured across the fleet ... those "free" iMessages or similar msg. headers will no longer come thru without being on a WiFi inTERnet package while connected to ship's inTRAnet ... to use other existing free features, like making (specialty) dining reservations or booking excursions, reviewing onboard charges or cabin messaging, etc.

Does the Dawn have this app do you know?
It is the same App used fleetwide, supported by almost all but 1 or 2 ships - from what I've been tracking, it's functional & worked fine on the Dawn ... as long as the individual ship has a decent server (hardware) for its WiFi inTRAnet signals.

Let's see what the newest/added functionality are & how well it is in real life usage ... what I noticed this May on the Gem is that the Day Planner feature was new & enabled, meaning that booking dining time are finally showing up as reminders ... still cannot change or cancel, but - save me the trouble of writing out the reservations we're holding.

Maybe, this is leading up to the promised 3-tiered social media package across the fleet and not just a pilot project on 3 ships (GA, Escape & Epic) ... T.B.D. as NCL corporate has been "silent" on the matter since this summer's scheduled rollout, NOT.

Can anyone test? I liked the old version where I could still iMessage my kids back home....

Does this still work? Or has it been blocked now?

I have read recent reports that NCL is closing the loophole and Imessage may not be working any longer without buying an Internet package.

Can anyone test? I liked the old version where I could still iMessage my kids back home.... Does this still work? Or has it been blocked now?
As commented by Bill above, iMessage is a basic/core App function of iPhones (and iPads). It has nothing directly to do with changes & updates to NCL's own iConcierge App, aside from possibly, how the FTP/https protocols used for data (i.e. "port" 80 being a commonly open one)

In other words, doesn't matter if you do not update the NCL iConcierge App or not - if the https udp/tcp ports previously left "open" were blocked and/or re-directed by the hardware/server onboard, for other reasons, you would likely need to have paid WiFi inTERnet data for iMessaging to work ... on the ships, at least some of them (if the changes/upgrade at the hardware/server levels aren't fully implemented yet.)

Text messaging or SMS over cellular that do NOT need access should/will continue to work - those are billed/charged by your home carrier per your cellular plan's coverage & terms ... at whatever rates, roaming or otherwise inclusive.

Most of my messaging are over Google's Hangouts, Voice on Nexus devices and a travel dual-Sim Android smartphone ... using different tcp/udp ports; and, I can't tell for sure what these new changes meant yet. Up till our recent GEM sailings, the loopholes & leaks for me still worked - mostly, catching the message "headers" from Tapatalk & Hangouts ... Cellular carrier's SMS/text messaging "headers" still showing up when we last sailed 6 months ago & we didn't get charged extra by our home providers. We also had 310 minutes of WiFi data over ship's satellite ... "Data Saver" settings were ON for most Apps on mine & there're few with background updates enabled, to avoid burning huge chunks of WiFi data onboard & in ports. Best practices for us is to check, update & refresh our devices 24 hours or less before we sail, making sure the latest patches, security updates for the firmware are installed & working ... something not every casual traveling smartphone users do consistently (or, purposely opted to not upgrade, i.e NOT installing latest iOS 11.x on my unlocked iPhone 5S running 9.0.x)

• 1 month later...

Now that we've been back from our Halloween sailing on the BA for a month, I've finished clearing out some of the loose ends ... time to amend/add newer information in one place, as taken from the mega-ship. Prices, details & exact offers will and probably varied among ships and their iCafe manager.

For the BA, anyone with the 250 minutes/1000 MB Free At Sea is offered - in writing and via the App/web interface - an upgrade price of $85 for upgrading to the 7 days unlimited internet package, sign-up by 10 PM of Day 2.

If you have Platinum/Plus minutes, that's another 30 minutes (30 MB) per person in the stateroom or 60 minutes (60 MB for Plus members) - that can be combined together into one account - we had 310 minutes or 1,060 MB of WiFi data for the week, more than enough for our use. When in U.S. ports, home cellular data can be used if available - we had, in effect, about 200+ minutes on sea days ... that's over 3 hours of live usage (consumed at the average rate of 1 MB per minute being "online"). A small card was part of the welcome package in the stateroom, explaining how to do it yourself ... easily done, to us (see below).

25245c293d64a1bd8d61b5b30e2298f2.jpg

There is also a printed guide explaining the Internet Plans, pricing & whatever ... Intro to the iConcierge App and basic steps of "how to" See below - I've scanned these & enhanced it, readable on larger phabet/smartphone & tablets/iPads, for anyone who wish to get ahead by figuring it out.

b86157758721fe3e7d1a5557db853a4d.jpg

dd8f569517423e71ffcfe1f2a8de3ac8.jpg

303925a474707ba5d8045137ed711ba0.jpg

When it doubt, ask a friend/neighbor, tech geeks (teens) etc. to help tweak & tune your devices' settings, most importantly, turn OFF those iCloud & Google or One Drive background unloads & refresh for contents ... those will ruined any efforts to keep data usage to a minimum.

In real life, the "free" data worked out very well us, got about 1,150+ minutes out of our 1.06 GB data - for our stay at GSC and Nassau, we used faster cellular 3G and 4G roaming data out of our account, final cost including some WiFi (VoiP) calling came to less than $10 USD extra. That's our insider's secret - look up "Google Project Fi" and you will learn the tricks ... and, yes it worked on our backup iPhone as a data only MiFi/hotspot device and to do everything else.

For the BA, there is still no "social media" plan (only on the Escape & Getaway) and Youtube & other video streaming sites are blocked, not accessible ... no matter what, even if you have an unlimited plan or upgraded to one - per my understanding discussing that with somone trying @ the iCafe's PC terminal. iMessage's loophole largely gone - but, text messaging (SMS) headers ... apparently, do sometimes get thru but not always on a timely basis.

Will add a few more screenshots this evening to illustrate ... since it's difficult to go thru the "Semi Live" Link below. Feel free to ask questions. Otherwise, make good use of the tips here & have fun while staying connected.

Edited by mking8288

Screenshots of the iConcierge App's optional features for calling & texting, the WiFi SSiD name, and upgrade to unlimited pricing.

Usage meter to keep track of data and minutes used/remaining. Different data plan with prices.

1bead8f5baecfaca4a78b5957a5ef6a2.jpg

0e762e50a8cd04b0f2a88e26e2221079.jpg

aa1aa229035d30483b327216b6a4c290.jpg

on AT&T 4G, T-Mo/Project Fi or WiFi via Blu R1HD w Tapatalk, VPN secured.