NCL's iConcierge App: update released for iOS & Androids, download before sailing

mking8288

Heads up for those who plan to stay connected and/or use the free iConcierge App (extra functions are fee-based, but optional) - long overdue updates has rolled out. Please check your Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the update & install it.

Current/old iOS version is V 3.1.464 and the new one is V 3.1.501 (dated May 31, 2017) for iPhone/iPads

Newest Android version is v3.1.236 - added functions included for these releases. Both Apps are best downloaded ahead of cruising, about 40 MB in size for iOS and 18 MB for Androids.

I've attached screenshots, based on the last App - newest one looked nearly identical on the popular menu functions & options. "My Vacation Planner" function was active already last month and useful, it showed reserved/booked dining & shows, etc. on the sailing. These connect to the ship's WiFi inTRAnet only, with restrictions and is free.

Calling functions is optional with a one-time charge and has its own built-in "Dialer" as per screenshot taken. Calling & texting other registered users on the ship requires paying a one-time fee ($9.95 on the Gem & Breakaway currently) with no other charges or need to have paid WiFi inTERnet.

Calling off the ship to land or others is free of that one-time charge; but calls are billed, currently, at 79 cents a minute - no paid WiFi data used or needed.

Screenshots included on what the typical SSiD for ships looked like, and, if using paid WiFi data (by minutes or MB) - the usage screen to help keep track ... best to log-off and then log-in again when NOT on any unlimited plan. Please use these as a general planning guide as changes are made by NCL from time to time.

As always, please check with your home/cellular carrier first to verify - based on your postpaid or prepaid plan coverage, what is included and not included - while at sea on the ship; and, while in non-US ports once docked - to understood your options and costs. Calls to customer care/611 and global/international support & help desk to your carrier is usually toll-free from anywhere (it might be a special number to call from overseas).

Terms that are often used, confused and asked: Airplane Mode, Roaming data, Cellular data, Voice, SMS or Text Messaging, and WiFi Calling.

150a5742b9b55b2aed9dd2e9c02bdf3e.jpg

128d29ea3ef5519ea361ab567452460a.jpg

82c2d6fac9f3802dfdf6941bed113c0b.jpg

ffab4e7ca4c9cca6ca298f0ce0d5f1af.jpg

2d6edf68a79d7b2bc8b80c6b80a62e54.jpg

Thank you for the detailed information and update. I have used this app on my past cruises. Both the free and paid version.

I loved that the daily schedule is on there. Very handy. My only issue that I have ever had was to "keep" the app from cruise to cruise. I have always had to delete and download again before each cruise.

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Can I use the iconcierge app with a deactivated iPhone 5? I have my phone service connected to a new iphone but the wifi is still working on my disconnected old one Do I need to be connected to a carrier for the app to work to make calls back home? I'm thinking if I use my old phone that doesn't have service there would be no way I could mistakenly be charged for long distance roaming?

I am sure you could. What I have done and has worked like a charm is I connect to app, turn phone to airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. I have never been charged.

Can I use the iconcierge app with a deactivated iPhone 5? I have my phone service connected to a new iphone but the wifi is still working on my disconnected old one Do I need to be connected to a carrier for the app to work to make calls back home? I'm thinking if I use my old phone that doesn't have service there would be no way I could mistakenly be charged for long distance roaming?

Should be fine- that's the same as using an iPad that doesn't have cell service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of people probably have old iPhones/smartphones sitting around in a drawer. iConcierge says it requires iOS 7.0 or later (I don't know about the Android version), so any iPhone less than 4 years old should be able to run it. Assuming the phone was still working OK when you replaced it, obviously. So this can be a good solution for families/groups who need more wifi-enabled devices for everyone to keep in touch on board.

Can I use the iconcierge app with a deactivated iPhone 5? ... Do I need to be connected to a carrier for the app to work to make calls back home? I'm thinking if I use my old phone that doesn't have service there would be no way I could mistakenly be charged for long distance roaming?
It should work just fine, as the App is intended to work over WiFi, as long the device itself is running - based on the tech info on Apple Store, iOS 7.x or newer.

Most iPhone 5 and 5s should be running iOS 8.x or newer, mine is running 9.3.5 (the latest) and the newer iPhone 6/S and/or 7's should be running 9.3.5 or higher, if updated continuously - at iOS 10.x

Without a nano Sim card and/or carrier info, absolutely true that there would any chance for billing errors or using "roaming" or home cellular voice or data minutes.

For Android smartphones, it stated that OS 4.x and later are supported - most (newer) devices in use these days should be running 5.x or higher.

As far as installation, I can report that it's an easy update, got them on our iPhone 5S (running 9.3.5) and 2 Androids so far (running 6.0.1 and 7.1.2) - curious to see/know what "extra" functions had been added or activated within - based on the menu screens, I really don't see any major difference. Have fun with this, for anyone sailing soon, and please share & let us know ... curious about its "Calling" functions.

Word of caution, the fine prints, stated now that calling is only supported on iPhones and not Androids ??? - that, if true, would be "foolish" to say the least - taking away a fair # of users ... assuming it's "accurate".

My only issue that I have ever had was to "keep" the app from cruise to cruise. I have always had to delete and download again before each cruise.
I assume this is because of the constant, erroneous notifications about connecting and disconnecting from the ship's wifi when you're back home? You can turn those off or kill the app so it stops running the background (at least on iOS, don't know about Android). And who knows, maybe they have even fixed this bug in the new version.

Deleting and reinstalling for each cruise works, too, but there are simpler solutions. I prefer to keep it installed, and let it update itself (I didn't know about the update until I opened this thread, then I saw that the new version was already on my devices, ever since May 31.)

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I assume this is because of the constant, erroneous notifications about connecting and disconnecting from the ship's wifi when you're back home? You can turn those off or kill the app so it stops running the background (at least on iOS, don't know about Android). And who knows, maybe they have even fixed this bug in the new version.

Deleting and reinstalling for each cruise works, too, but there are simpler solutions. I prefer to keep it installed, and let it update itself (I didn't know about the update until I opened this thread, then I saw that the new version was already on my devices, ever since May 31.)

No...if I leave the app installed the next time I go on, it won't let me adjust my ship or cabin number. I use an android if you have any suggestions. Thanks

i have an android tablet, google play says my device is not compatible. If you have the same problem, download the APK file from the play store and sideload the app on your device. The app itself seems to be fine on my tablet, i dont need all of the extra caller/dailer features.

No...if I leave the app installed the next time I go on, it won't let me adjust my ship or cabin number. I use an android if you have any suggestions. Thanks

in the application manager, try clearing the app cache and data (temp files)

i have an android tablet, google play says my device is not compatible. If you have the same problem, download the APK file from the play store and sideload the app on your device. The app itself seems to be fine on my tablet, i dont need all of the extra caller/dailer features.

Thanks....we will see what happens on my next trip. Hopefully its a smooth transition.

Is there a way to put in more info about your cruise before you are on board? It lets me enter my departure date for a countdown, but I can't enter ship info or anything or see my bookings, etc. It would be nice if you could do that before you've boarded.
I think all of that info is fed to your app by the ship locally, not by accessing NCL's reservations database over the internet. So you have to be connected to the ship's network (and it has to be during your cruise).

So ... excuse my stupidity ... is this an app where you can text other members via this app? just a little confused what the purpose is...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, as long as the other guest has the app you can text while on the ship. You can also call the state room. As well as the other items stated above

I asked my husband to download this app to his iPhone. I told him the app was free to purchase but he said that since you would need WiFi to run it, that you would have to pay NCL for the WiFi. Is this app actually free to use or would you have to purchase and NCL WiFi package?

Thank you.

You need to connect to the ship's wifi to use the app, but simply connecting to the wifi doesn't cost anything. It's only if you want to use the wifi for internet access, in that case you need to have an internet package.

iConcierge is completely free if you only use the basic features.

• 1 month later...

Which APK file there are multiple options, and how do you sideload an app? Thanks.

Does the social media plan include device to device messaging via iConcierge or do you still need the $9.95 device charge? While I'm on the subject, what about the unlimited plans?

Does the social media plan include device to device messaging via iConcierge or do you still need the $9.95 device charge? ... what about the unlimited plans?
From what's posted thus far, this Summer - the new 3-tiered plan with the social media (lowest cost) option hasn't been expanded to other ships in the NCL fleet ... only on the Escape & Getaway, not even on the Breakaway (I stand corrected on this, if anyone sailed this month & can share/update) The Pearl is still on the "older" plan ... by the minutes, with the unlimited plan and no social media package.

Regardless, the WiFi inTERnet access option does not cover the use of the iConcierge App to text and/or call other registered & activated devices onboard the ship, the $9.95 fees still apply for each device.

Two more FAQ/Guide for using ship's WiFi and iConcierge App, where the Speednet App is recommended to be downloaded & installed pre-cruise.

edb4a0a2a6fb1ea223d79c050f1fd827.jpg

9668db02aba3d9b0748883c49dad9ea8.jpg

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

From what's posted thus far, this Summer - the new 3-tiered plan with the social media (lowest cost) option hasn't been expanded to other ships in the NCL fleet ... only on the Escape & Getaway, not even on the Breakaway (I stand corrected on this, if anyone sailed this month & can share/update) The Pearl is still on the "older" plan ... by the minutes, with the unlimited plan and no social media package.

Regardless, the WiFi inTERnet access option does not cover the use of the iConcierge App to text and/or call other registered & activated devices onboard the ship, the $9.95 fees still apply for each device.

Thanks. We're on the Escape. Interesting that you have to add the $9.95 device option on top of the $35 social plan or the $200+ regular plans. Considering that the Android version lacks calling, it doesn't seem to provide much value.