Sugar Free Desserts

Melady

I'm not only watch sugar and also carbs, do you think it would be helpful to contact the NCL department that handles special dietary needs. Looking at pictures and menus for appetizers, main course, etc., don't think I'll have any problems, however sure would be nice when desserts are served in the MDR's & specialty restaurants to have an option??

• Like 1

The main dining rooms have a sugar free dessert each night. We have been making the special dietary request and have found that the specialty restaurants will arrange to get the sugar free dessert for you from the main dining rooms on request.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The sugar free desserts in the main dining rooms tend to be very good. In the buffet, not so good. There are no sugar free desserts on the menus of the specialty dining restaurants.

Edited by MaryLS
spelling

I'm not only watch sugar and also carbs, do you think it would be helpful to contact the NCL department that handles special dietary needs. Looking at pictures and menus for appetizers, main course, etc., don't think I'll have any problems, however sure would be nice when desserts are served in the MDR's & specialty restaurants to have an option??

Most "sugar free" desserts are very high in carbs. Often the total carb count is higher on sugar free desserts than the sugar included version. That's an observation from on shore; I've never seen any nutritional information on the desserts on board (but I also haven't been looking for it, so they might have it).

There are two ways to look at this issue if you are just keto, paleo or low carb for general health / weight loss reasons and don't have to avoid sugar due to diabetes or some other medical condition. One is to consider the cruise one of your "honey tree" events (if you are paleo) and avoid the excess carbs and sugar alcohols and just eat the regular desserts. It's one week out of the year. If you are a keto warrior this may not be acceptable; you will definitely be thrown out of ketosis. This is what I've decided to do now that I'm back to a LCHF / Keto diet.

The other option is to avoid anything that is carby, and that includes the sugar free desserts. NCL does have a nice cheese platter available every night for dessert for those that truly want to avoid carbs. You can ask what's on the fruit plate as well; last week on the Jewel they had plenty of cantelope and honey-dew melon (about 8 grams carbs per 100 grams serving) but also tempted you with watermelon and grapes (which you can give to your table mates).

They have plenty of gluten free desserts, but these are typically high in carbs too, and the worst kind ... usually made with rice flour or a similar "simple carb" that spikes insulin response more quickly and higher than sugar.

I was thinking the same thing, I've seen a lot of "sugar free" desserts, however carb count.... Might try to contact the special needs department or just bring some true low carb sweet snacks on board. I make a great low carb no crust cheesecake with just eggs, cream cheese and sugar free sweetener. If NCL has such a thing as their version of a sugar free cheesecake, how low carb is it, even if I don't eat the crust???

• 10 months later...

I have type 1 diabetes (amongst a few other autoimmune conditions ;p) and live Keto as well as gluten free. I find that, if I stay true to both (Stevia is my friend), my dessert options often times look a lot like custard, panna cotta, ice cream... or more custard :P This I can make work with Keto... it's the grains--whether they be gluten free or not--that bust a blood sugar spike that disrupts my spin.

The one exception I do make during the cruise is that I will allow a modicum of artificial sweetners to pass my lips :cool:

I have type 1 diabetes (amongst a few other autoimmune conditions ;p) and live Keto as well as gluten free. I find that, if I stay true to both (Stevia is my friend), my dessert options often times look a lot like custard, panna cotta, ice cream... or more custard :P This I can make work with Keto... it's the grains--whether they be gluten free or not--that bust a blood sugar spike that disrupts my spin.

The one exception I do make during the cruise is that I will allow a modicum of artificial sweetners to pass my lips :cool:

I am sure you will find something for your 'sweet tooth'.

Fruit and cheese plate. Berries low in fructose.

Sugar free ice cream. I like mine with a shot of frangelica on top.

Here is my great tip. You can get and pack some of those little water addin packs. There are several no sugar ones. Since sugar free ice cream is not readily available in a variety of flavors. I usually order vanilla. I take and sprinkle a little addin in and swirl. My fave is orange crush. Zero sugar. Five calories. Tastes like a dreamsicle. Next fave is Wylers raspberrry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think most of the replies to the question are wrong. There are NO sugar free deserts. What there are is "No Added Sugar" deserts. They are still sweet, so there must be a heck of a lot of sugar in them that comes from the original mix or other source. While they may contain less sugar than other options (Maybe?) I would not consider them a sugar free option for dietary reasons.