Internet cafes?

etoile

I will be taking a trip on the Oosterdam in September. I saw the prices for shipboard internet access, and being a complete net addict I think I am going to have to forbid myself to access the net at all, because otherwise I will be spending tons of money on it!

When I have traveled in the Caribbean, internet cafes have been plentiful. They are usually competitively priced with each other, and less than half the cost of shipboard access. Are there easy-access cafes at any ports in Alaska? This is a round-trip from Seattle with stops in Juneau, Haines, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Will I be able to pop off the ship for a bit to check my e-mail quickly in a cafe, or are they too far away for easy access?

Thanks!

We bought a Seaport Cyber $5 access card and used it at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Ketchikan location also has plenty of computers and is in one of the stores on the boardwalk at the dock. Juneau location was a bit into town, but not terribly far.

• 2 years later...

I did a search for internet access and found this thread. The price is currently $6.00 an hour which is a pretty good deal. You can use the card at various ports. I surely don't want to pay those high cruise ship prices. If you click on each city, it will give you the address of where you can buy and use the seaport internet access card.

http://www.seaportel.com/Location.htm

I would leave the free internet access to the crew members who need it. The rates for internet on shore are pretty low, compared to the ship, and the speed is much better. I always save my net activity for shore.

If a city is offering free internet to anyone, I see no reason not to take advantage of it. Generally it is limited to a certain time length anyway so no one is denying anyone else of "their" time.

I have used the Seaportel shops but beware in Skagway they are SUPER slow. Also, if you purchase the credit online it is only $5/hour not $6/hour!

John

John, what is the link for online purchase? Thanks

Hmm. I can't seem to find it now. Perhaps you can only purchase online when you have your own laptop? I know that I paid $5/hour last month then asked about using their desktops and they said they could transfer some of the balance from my account to one of their prepaid cards. Probably ask when you get to their location about it, especially since I can't find the link from their site.

John

Archived