Hotel in Rome, Westin Excelsor?

RJB

I have walked past this hotel and it is a nice area on Via Veneto but it is not very central for the tourist sights.

We stayed nearby in our first 5 night stay in Rome. The villa Borghese is close. For our last visit we chose somewhere in the historic centre right next to the Pantheon which was less flash but a better experience all round.

Albergo Del Senato or somewhere in that area is my suggestion.

Edited by helpthejuggler

I stayed there last May twice. I did it because I get a great rate from my employer. But, unless you have a really great rate or want to use your Starwood points, I would suggest something closer to the Centro Storico. For me, it really isn't bad - it about a 15-20 minute walk down from there to the Pantheon area or about 8-10 minutes to the top of the Spanish Steps.

Via Veneto is where many of the big international chains have their upscale Rome hotels. But, no good places to eat outside of the hotels, at least I didn't find any. I had one place that I'd stop in the AM and grab an espresso before starting the walk down to the Centro Storico.

I won't recommend against it, but it would not be first on my list if I was paying full price.

I actually prefer the Via Veneto area as it it a lovely area and away from the noisy traffic and congestion.The Westin is at the upper end -- we usually stay at the Eden at the lower end. Unfortunately we could not get in for our upcoming June trip so we are staying at a lovely little place ion charming Via Margitta ( watch Riman Holiday and this will make sense) which is down the hill between the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo. called Hotel Manfredi. I will report back.

I actually prefer the Via Veneto area as it it a lovely area and away from the noisy traffic and congestion.The Westin is at the upper end -- we usually stay at the Eden at the lower end. Unfortunately we could not get in for our upcoming June trip so we are staying at a lovely little place ion charming Via Margitta ( watch Riman Holiday and this will make sense) which is down the hill between the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo. called Hotel Manfredi. I will report back.

I'd walk past the Eden every day/night when I went from the Westin on Via Ludovisi. It's currently closed for a massive renovation - why you couldn't get in . When it was in the Luxury Collection, I could get in there. But, now that the Sultan of Brunei owns it, I won't go...

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at the hotel santa maria in the travestere area. It was very charming. We sat out in the garden area in the morning with the orange trees drinking our cappichinos. Granted, it was a bit further walk to the sites but I loved the charming area with cobblestone streets. It is right by the santa maria church too. I would stay in that area again. It's like country in the city, lol..