Another question for you Packers of Alcohol

What if royal Caribbean decided that they were going to have a NO TOLERANCE POLICY toward alcohol being brought on the ship at Embarkation.

If bought in a port of call it must be checked in upon returning to the ship.

They post sign at the luggage drop off that says they have A NO TOLERANCE POLICY and that this is your last chance to dispose of any alcohol you may have with you, before giving your bags to the porter.

Luggage will be screened as always and in addition randomly searched.

If they catch you, you will be denied boarding, or asked to leave the ship.

NO OTHER OPTIONS.

How would you look at it then??

Why does what others pack in their suitcases concern you to such a degree to ask the question?

I've brought alcohol back in port - sent it through the scanner and left it up to the screeners what to do with it. I've had screeners give me alcohol back when returning from port - they only wanted the big stuff.

Does that mean I should have been left in Cozumel?? Not sure what you're getting at, unless you're trying to cause a ruckuss and get negative responses.

What good is going to do RCCL to alienate several hundred passengers and their families? Kind of a ridiculous scenario. A more realistic question would be, what would you do if they confiscated all alcohol and didn't return it? In my case, oh well. :cool:

What if royal Caribbean decided that they were going to have a NO TOLERANCE POLICY toward alcohol being brought on the ship at Embarkation.

They post sign at the luggage drop off that says they have A NO TOLERANCE POLICY and that this is your last chance to dispose of any alcohol you may have with you, before giving your bags to the porter.

NO OTHER OPTIONS.

Well I don't drink alcohol so I have never brought any onboard but I think what you are suggesting is over the top. I could understand RC choosing to hold the alcohol to the end of the trip or confiscate it at the most. Putting passengers off the ship over such a minor infraction would not be good for business so I really don't see them choosing to do this.

NO OTHER OPTIONS.

You have to remember - RCCL is a corporation - a "thing" if you will. There's not a "revenge" or "punishment" .... the word closest to what I am trying to convey is perhaps "EMOTIONAL" charge behind anything they do. They are in it to make money. Period. Nothing wrong with that - we ALL are in that boat (no pun intended) to a degree - we all have to make a living. Anyway, if the cruise lines implemented a boarding denial if liquor is found in luggage, it would cost them dearly where it counts - in their financials. It would also raise a stir with legal battles and lots of lost revenue. In the end, they are handling it the best way possible. If they find "banned articles" (not illegal - just banned such as alcohol) in screened luggage, simply confiscate it. Period. There really is no further action necessary. Why make a huge deal when you can solve the problem quietly, effectively and definitively?

NO OTHER OPTIONS.

This IS the policy!

If they catch you, you may be denied boarding if you refuse to dispose of the alcohol... has it ever happened? Not to my knowledge but they certainly reserve the right to do so...

As it stands now, if they find it... it's confiscated and if you refuse to comply, I am sure you will be denied boarding... I shudder to think there is anyone stupid enough not to comply... you would not be entitled to a refund... there is no legal recourse you can take, because the policy is clear and published...

I have always had to check alcohol purchased while in port and it is returned to me before disembarkation...

The policy is on the website, in the brochure, and in your cruise documents...

if you have managed to get it onboard without penalty, consider yourself lucky... if you have managed to buy alcohol in port without having to check it in, consider yourself lucky...

but your hypothetical "policy" is actual...

It they took that bold step, then it will be time for us to seek alternate cruise lines or other vacations.

Having A special bottle of wine to enjoy on a special occasion while on a cruise is more important to me than sailing RCCL.

There are many other lines that will not cause folks to sneak wine on board and will gladly allow me to bring a special bottle(s) and pay a corkage. A win/win for both.

Cheers

M

I think you ought to give it a rest. This subject seems to upset you and it sure isn't worth it. Life is too short for such petty bickering.

Who is bickering. Seems to me the only ones who are upset, are the packers like you. Where on this thread did I say you should not do anything, or did I make fun of anyone. I asked a question.

Most of you people think RCI is just a money grubbing company, so you are going to show em, & bringing your own booze. OK!

Only one one person on this thread even came close to understanding my question, let alone answer it.

Everyone is allowed to express an idea, or criticism, or opinion here. Did I attack you??

If RCI was really concerned about revenues lost from people bringing on their own booze, then they would do a lot more to prevent it.

I understand that when I go on one of RCI's ships or someone else's, what policies they have and I abide by them, whether I agree with them or not. So do most of the other passengers.

If you want to bring your own, fine, however don't try to justify it. It just makes one look that much sillier.

If you don't like me expressing thoughts or opinions that are either my own, or possibly how someone else may feel about the situation , too bad.

I know we are a little hung over from Friday night and might need help keeping our trembling fingers on the keyboard, but I think most of us got your original question. Did you get any of the responses that didn't agree with your supposition?

NO OTHER OPTIONS.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I see no point to this question. What if while your drinking something on the ship...someone came up to you and through you off the side of the ship...ya....what about that?

NO OTHER OPTIONS.

I'll answer your question, if no one else will. If that were the policy, then I wouldn't bring any alcohol onboard. I don't see a big deal in bringing something on, if they're going to basically look the other way, just as I don't see a big deal with driving 5 mph over the speed limit, if the police are going to tolerate it.

To me, bringing my own isn't a must, though, and I like the RCI product, so if they became really serious about cracking down on alcohol, it wouldn't prevent me from sailing with them.

"Through" you off the side of the ship?:rolleyes:

I suppose for that question, I'd say I would try to talk them out of it, but if they insist on going overboard, I'd step aside and not make them go through me.

Curly,

Take a chill pill, worry about your own life and stop worrying about everyone else. You insert yourself into or instigate this argument a lot and are very unpleasant about it.

This is going to happen. RCCL would be taking further precautions if they were really feeling like they were loosing money. This is more a protection so that they can say their servers were able to stop serving to people who drank too much. That way they can have a defense in any lawsuits by saying they don't allow people to overinduldge.

If it really was a matter of them loosing money, believe me their accountants and board of directors would jump on it.

Sorry, Curly. I must have misunderstood. Apparently we're all supposed to harrass you for posting the question, rather than actually answering it. I'm new to this.

Ahhh, see, you are still new to this. Like me you thought he was actually interested in our opinions and responses to the topic, in reality he doesn't care what the answer is if it doesn't support with his position. ;)

Ahhh, see, you are still new to this. Like me you thought he was actually interested in our opinions and responses to the topic, in reality he doesn't care what the answer is if it doesn't support with his position. ;)

Do you really know what my position is?? I don't ever recall attacking, or being nasty to you, ever. What position support have I asked for here??

Seems like you and Briggy need to chill. Or learn where you ignore button is, if you don't like what I write.

Who is bickering. Seems to me the only ones who are upset, are the packers like you. Where on this thread did I say you should not do anything, or did I make fun of anyone. I asked a question.

Most of you people think RCI is just a money grubbing company, so you are going to show em, & bringing your own booze. OK!

Only one one person on this thread even came close to understanding my question, let alone answer it.

Everyone is allowed to express an idea, or criticism, or opinion here. Did I attack you??

If RCI was really concerned about revenues lost from people bringing on their own booze, then they would do a lot more to prevent it.

I understand that when I go on one of RCI's ships or someone else's, what policies they have and I abide by them, whether I agree with them or not. So do most of the other passengers.

If you want to bring your own, fine, however don't try to justify it. It just makes one look that much sillier.

If you don't like me expressing thoughts or opinions that are either my own, or possibly how someone else may feel about the situation , too bad.

Seems you have a more passive agressive attitude towards the topic. If anyone does not jump right on your bandwagon and agree with your scenario they are silly, perverting the system or however you care to phrase it. Like I stated before, you don't care what the answers are if they are not along the lines of "Heck yeah, throw the bums out."

So to answer your last question - we were trying to carry a civil discussion of the topic. You seemed to be bothered by it, so you charge some of us with attacking you. So, apparantly it was a sarcastic topic and we changed the tone of our responses in keeping with that. :cool:

Seems you have a more passive agressive attitude towards the topic. If anyone does not jump right on your bandwagon and agree with your scenario they are silly, perverting the system or however you care to phrase it. Like I stated before, you don't care what the answers are if they are not along the lines of "Heck yeah, throw the bums out."

So to answer your last question - we were trying to carry a civil discussion of the topic. You seemed to be bothered by it, so you charge some of us with attacking you. So, apparantly it was a sarcastic topic and we changed the tone of our responses in keeping with that. :cool:

Nothing sarcastic about the topic. I asked a simple question. There was no discussion needed. I didn't go into a tirade on whether I thought it was right , wrong or whatever. If you cannot answer the question then fine. Since you seem to want to got into a bunch of jibberish about it, then I can do that too, if that is what you want your dicussion to be.

Curly,

I bring alcohol on board because I am cheap. I bring it on board because it's a challenge. Most of all, I do it because I feel like it.

What would I think if they denied boarding to people. I would change lines. Simple. I would not give my money to the company. It's not an angry issue to me. It's more just simple. If they do several things, I would go elsewhere. We are one cruise away from being diamond on Royal. We like Royal, but it would not hurt my feelings to go to a competitor if the line does not meet our standards any longer. That would be one way that could happen.

Take care.

Nothing sarcastic about the topic. I asked a simple question. There was no discussion needed.

Lol that's exactly right! You don't want a discussion! Just a bunch of people agreeing with you...and you state it in your own response above!

Curly, I don't understand the big deal. I was the first to post my opinion of your scenario.

Scenario - an imagined or projected sequence of events, esp. any of several detailed plans or possibilities:

Lol that's exactly right! You don't want a discussion! Just a bunch of people agreeing with you...and you state it in your own response above!

LOL - bad as me, just can't walk away from the train wreck. :D

Archived