Best Scuba Diving: St. Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, or Amber Cove?

Tales from the Caribbean -- Ask A Question / Share Some Info

Coco Cay - Photo by Eva Beagle

The Caribbean is open! What do you want to know about your favorite Caribbean islands or itineraries?

Are you just back? Please share your experience!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:16 PM.
Tennessee
56 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
I'm trying to get certified before I go in September, so I can do a legit dive, rather than a beginner one. Of these 4 places, anyone have recommendations?
FL(Bradenton)&VA(Ashburn)
1,458 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Uhfolks
I'm trying to get certified before I go in September, so I can do a legit dive, rather than a beginner one. Of these 4 places, anyone have recommendations?
Definitely recommend that you get scuba certified before you go to any of the 4 places mentioned. I received my basic and advanced PADI scuba certification before I went to St. Thomas (my real first legit dive). I am currently PADI Master certified. St. Thomas remains my 1st choice, with Cozumel a close 2nd.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dennis and Bernadette (Bernie)
Meet & Mingle Link: https://secure.RoyalCaribbean.com//ccSearch.do

FUTURE CRUISES:
  • Anthem (September 6, 2018)
  • Grandeur (December 1, 2018)
  • Freedom (January 13, 2019)
  • Freedom (January 20, 2019)
  • Freedom (January 27, 2019)
  • Jewel (February 25, 2019)
  • Jewel (March 13, 2019)
Tennessee
56 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Dennis#1
Definitely recommend that you get scuba certified before you go to any of the 4 places mentioned. I received my basic and advanced PADI scuba certification before I went to St. Thomas (my real first legit dive). I am currently PADI Master certified. St. Thomas remains my 1st choice, with Cozumel a close 2nd.
I've been looking into getting certified, but it seems to be quite expensive. The absolute cheapest I've found is $200 run by a University nearby, but doesn't include any of the dives & is after our cruise anyway. The rest are $400 +

Am I just looking in the wrong places? Or do those sound like fairly typical prices?
Greater Toronto Area, ON
2,370 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Grand Turk followed by St. Thomas. I did my first certification dive in Barbados and second one in St. Thomas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL: Westerdam (old one); Noordam (old one 2x), Maasdam; Ryndam; Noordam (3x); Nieuw Amsterdam[/size]
Princess: Tahitian Princess (2x); Grand Princess (2x); Emerald Princess
Others: Crystal Harmony, RCI Splendour
Jan 2015 - Nieuw Amsterdam 14 days