Another room service question...

PresDuLac

We never ordered room service on our earlier cruises but did so, more than once, on our Elation cruise.

Now that our Conquest cruise is on the not too distant horizon I'd like to know....

I'm used to room service in nice hotels.

They bring your tray into the room and set up anything that needs to be done.

You sign and tip and say thank you - they're on their way.

I *expected* my Carnival room service to be brought into the room.

When I stepped aside so they could do so, they looked at me like I was crazy or an ax murderer or both and I'm a chick and not scary at all.

I chalked it up to that particular server.

But then... I did it again and again :eek: same crazy look.

Btw, I tipped a few bucks each time so it wasn't that.

Yes, I'm aware of that quote attributed to Einstein: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Guilty as charged :p

Are we just supposed to take delivery at the door or what? :confused:

On the FREEDOM last June, we ordered coffee every morning, and the steward brought it in and set it on the coffee table.

We're sailing on the CONQUEST very shortly, and will see how it goes there....

We LOVE our room service. They always bring it in and place it on the table, or where ever we ASK them to place it. I have had both males and females deliver never had a strange look from any of them...It has been the same on all 3 cruise lines I have sailed on...

nothing at all like hotel room service where there is a large menu to select from (including full hot meals) and you pay dearly for every morsel of food or drink, they bring it on a trolley - roll it in and set it up and you give them $10-20 on top of the charges. The items on the ship are limited (no full hot meals) and are usually carried by a crew member, on a tray, on a swaying ship and you pay NOTHING except a tip - they will place the tray on a table but that is about it and for this they MAY get a couple of bucks. I think some staff are leery about entering a cabin so I just take the tray from them and give them their tip

They've always brought them inside the cabin. It would be kind of hard to hold the door open, with a tray in hands, and sign the ticket, plus give tip....that wore me out thinking about it...lol we always make sure our robe is close by, that way we're decent. Maybe that service team were trained differently?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Some of you guys cracked me up.

Naked? Trust me, that's not happening. :eek:

Thanks for answering. :)

Maybe it was just a weird Elation thing. I don't know :confused:

But it was definitely weird and I. Was. Not. Naked. :eek:

I'll be a fairly experienced Carnival cruiser and room service order-er (is there such a word?) by May so time will tell.

Did you have a pile of stuff on the table & desk so that he didn't know where to set it down ?

Was somebody still sleeping in the bed ?

Those things might give them pause...

No, not at all.

I'm OCD, very personable, imo, and no where near scary looking (I don't think):D

Made the hubby get dressed and out of bed when I ordered

I didn't even let him answer the door.

I'm sensitive to those kinds of issues myself, that's why I thought it was so weird.

Thanks for all of the answers. :)

The only time I had a problem was when we were sat on the balcony and I didn't hear anyone knock at the door, I called them up and they said there was no reply when they were trying to deliver so they took the food back to the kitchen.

Other than this one time, the food has been bought into the cabin.

I'm just wondering if maybe you didn't hear a knock at the door? Were you out on the balcony, or had ear phones in etc? Just a thought.

L

Last cruise we had a rough time in costa maya and ordered room service for dinner. I was in my robe in bed. I probably scared that poor girl to death. :eek: hahaha, maybe I'm the reason for the change! DH was up and dressed, answered the door. Those all inclusives can sneak up on you. :p

Dh is ALWAYS in bed....lol...I do clear the table off the night before...lay out tip money...they always bring the tray in and set it on the table...I sign for it and tip him...and off he goes...and I have my early morning coffee:D

Just a heads up, holding the door open is not a problem. We just got off Fantasy and there's some kind of strong magnet that holds the door open. It took strength to jerk it off the magnet to close it. I just opened the door, until the magnet caught it, then stepped back so he could bring in the order. I remember they used to have a wedge around. No longer. It works very well, just a bit more of a tug to get loose. lol

They generally do whichever you ask. If hubby is still sleeping I always take it from them and ask them to hang on. They want you to sign the ticket even though it is free of charge so they will wait while you set it down and bring back the tip.

If we are both up and dressed, I let them bring it in and set it on the table. I have never had anyone tell me I couldn't take the tray or anyone hesitate to bring it in when asked. This must have been a ship specific thing.

Now talk about scary, that's me in the morning with my uncombed hair and no makeup. I bet they all talk about it behind our backs. lol

We always get room service in the morning .... coffee and juice usually. Hubby usually still in bed and I'm always asked if they can come in ... I say yes and they put the tray on the coffee table, I sign and give them a tip and they are on their way. One of my favorite things ... coffee out on the balcony watching the sea and especially coming into port. We relax out there before showering and going down for breakfast and start the day. Love it! :)

Oh, and we've sailed Royal, HAL and Carnival and it all has worked the same on all lines .... and they are usually right on time (I fill out the card the night before) and I get a call first to let me know they are on their way. Works for us! :)

Always brought it in for me. Sometimes they have a look like "this is awkward" but I always thought that was because the space to get into the room with the tray is not very big, at least to me. I've tried to help but they always want to put it down for me. Once the guy asked if I needed anything and I said "did they remember salt and pepper?" They hadn't and this guy actually went and got some for me which I thought was really, really nice! Tipped him the second time too, I was very impressed.

They have the freshest, most beautiful salads and I love the shrimp salad too.

Archived