Train after departure

dthogue

Will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise from Vancouver in June. Will I be able to make an 11:30 Amtrak train in time or is that cutting it too close? Assuming we don’t do self carry off, what time will be off the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wondering if you were looking at a train from Vancouver to Seattle?

If so, I believe there are only two departures...one in the early morning (around 5:30 am) and the other in the evening (around 6 pm). Neither one works very well following a cruise.

Amtrak does have an 11:30 am bus however. Both the train and the bus are listed on the Amtrak website.

As mentioned above, the 11:30 Amtrak is a bus (as are all other departures except for the too-early-in-the-morning-for-cruise-disembarkers and the early evening train - they use totally different numbering systems and also if you look carefully on the Amtrak site you'll see different little logos for the train and bus services). Trains, and only trains, will do immigration pre-clearance in Vancouver (there is a token stop at the border southbound, CBP agents will board and sometimes walk dogs or geiger counters through while hassling a few pax with extra checks of passports even though their own colleagues literally just cleared you all an hour or so before).

Buses stop at the border in both directions for immigration - regardless of which bus service you use. While there's a dedicated border office for just buses, it's shared with all companies and nobody has priority despite claims to the contrary - first come, first served. Also, you share the same road with cars and trucks until about a quarter mile away - so if it's busy, you get stuck with everyone else.

Amtrak buses are also quite literally the worst option of all the bus companies - they are the most expensive, have the most stops, and are also a pretty old fleet. Bolt are by far the best bus option - cheapest, fastest, and newest fleet - for downtown Seattle. If you are heading straight to Seatac, then QuickShuttle will take you from pier to airport - but charge enough extra for the convenience (US$59pp) that it's cheaper to take a cab on both ends of a Bolt or Greyhound trip for 2+ people, sometimes even a solo!

Assuming that you don't have a same-day flight out of Seatac, the evening train is the most pleasant option - leave your bags at the pier, so sightseeing, come back at 4pm, head over to the train station for 4:30pm (this is the latest you want to arrive - an hour before departure is stated as the minimum because of immigration, but the earlier the better for getting good seats on the right hand side for views on the trip).

As mentioned above, the 11:30 Amtrak is a bus (as are all other departures except for the too-early-in-the-morning-for-cruise-disembarkers and the early evening train - they use totally different numbering systems and also if you look carefully on the Amtrak site you'll see different little logos for the train and bus services). Trains, and only trains, will do immigration pre-clearance in Vancouver (there is a token stop at the border southbound, CBP agents will board and sometimes walk dogs or geiger counters through while hassling a few pax with extra checks of passports even though their own colleagues literally just cleared you all an hour or so before).

Buses stop at the border in both directions for immigration - regardless of which bus service you use. While there's a dedicated border office for just buses, it's shared with all companies and nobody has priority despite claims to the contrary - first come, first served. Also, you share the same road with cars and trucks until about a quarter mile away - so if it's busy, you get stuck with everyone else.

Amtrak buses are also quite literally the worst option of all the bus companies - they are the most expensive, have the most stops, and are also a pretty old fleet. Bolt are by far the best bus option - cheapest, fastest, and newest fleet - for downtown Seattle. If you are heading straight to Seatac, then QuickShuttle will take you from pier to airport - but charge enough extra for the convenience (US$59pp) that it's cheaper to take a cab on both ends of a Bolt or Greyhound trip for 2+ people, sometimes even a solo!

Assuming that you don't have a same-day flight out of Seatac, the evening train is the most pleasant option - leave your bags at the pier, so sightseeing, come back at 4pm, head over to the train station for 4:30pm (this is the latest you want to arrive - an hour before departure is stated as the minimum because of immigration, but the earlier the better for getting good seats on the right hand side for views on the trip).

Thank you that is very helpful! I misspoke I was looking at the train. We will reconsider and take the train!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where would leave our bags at the pier?

As you leave the ship and walk through the terminal you'll enter a very large space. If you turn left immediately before the exit doors to the cabs, buses, etc., you'll see a small counter in front of a room. Unfortunately, I forget the exact name of the baggage-check service. Whatever, there will be people at the counter to scan your credit card and tag your bags. You MUST return to pick them up before 4 p.m.

I do it all the time. Whenever I cruise out of Vancouver I always take the late train back to Washington. I always check my bags at the terminal. Works fine for me.