Cabin categories

Please explain the cabin categories on Serenade of the Seas. I am being quoted prices for 6D, 2D etc. and I have no idea which is more desirable. Looking for a covered balcony in the forward or mid section.

Also would the forward rooms on deck 7 be noisy because of the theater below? Thank you!

I liked the old category system much better. Still have to look at the charts to figure out this new one.

The old system had too few categories for the bean counters that run every aspect of the company now. More categories means more chances to have higher prices.

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 1:03 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Bob, even numbers hold 2 guests, odd numbers hold more than 2 guests.

I agree that the lower numbers are what the cruiseline considers better locations.

Sorry but I am still confused.  I booked a 2D gty and was assigned cabin 6354 on Explorer, which appears to be a 3D.  So does that make it a better cabin/category?

7 hours ago, KAYTWO said:

Sorry but I am still confused.  I booked a 2D gty and was assigned cabin 6354 on Explorer, which appears to be a 3D.  So does that make it a better cabin/category?

Not necessarily better.  That cabin could be right beside a 2D but it would hold more than 2 guests. 

On 8/13/2018 at 9:43 PM, zumbagold said:

Also would the forward rooms on deck 7 be noisy because of the theater below? Thank you!

I have stayed in Serenade 7540 and there was no noise. I have booked that same cabin for this April. All I can tell you is that the starboard cabins in that area are noise-free.

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not necessarily better.  That cabin could be right beside a 2D but it would hold more than 2 guests. 

Thanks, just wanted to check that we get the gty category that we paid for and not a lower one.  I think I read the plan incorrectly and it may be a cat 3B not 3D.  I find it so hard to distinguish the different shades in the same colours - thank you old age 😉