Limits on landings

I have just been reading that certain towns/cities are going to limit the number of ships and passengers they let in. One country has stated that they are going to limit to 1 ship carrying less than 4,000 passengers per day. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea that RCI built all those large ships. There is more than 1 country talking about taking action to cut down on tourists. What do people think about this.

Southwest Harbor Maine, near Bar Harbor, just voted down allowing any cruise ships over 50 passengers from coming into their port. They don't want what is happening to neighboring Bar Harbor to happen to their town.

I know most Charleston SC locals have been against cruise ship stops or embarkation there.

Look what has happened to Key West. Huge change from that eclectic little odd ball

tropical town. Lost its original flavor totally.

Some folks welcome and love having the cruise ships stop...but some...not so much.

That photo in the article looks like pretty large ships. Is that the only place cruise ships dock in Venice?

Yes.... and no. Along the main canal I've seen (and have pics in my review) of Azamara and Star Clipper docked.

Also way up the channel farther than St Marks I've actually witnessed a large Princess ship a few years ago. I don't think this happens anymore. (note top left of photo below... taken 2011 when I disembarked from Voyager)

DSCF2969_zpsjk3jior7.jpg

Venice has talked about a southern entry for several years, which would eliminate fully the large circular route northward, through the new locks, and through the main canal beside St Marks.... no one will sail by there anymore.

... Venice has talked about a southern entry for several years, which would eliminate fully the large circular route northward, through the new locks, and through the main canal beside St Marks.... no one will sail by there anymore.

Thanks for the info. Is the sailing though the main canal what people are talking about when they talk about the unique experience of sailing into Venice?

Edited by Host Clarea

Thanks for the info. Is the sailing though the main canal what people are talking about when they talk about the uniuque experience of sailing into Venice?

Yes (the area in the picture), but on RCI it's mainly on the way out due to timing. Assuming Venice is the turn around port, most ships come in quite early (5-6 AM) so not as much to see (could even be dark late in the season) as say 5 PM on departure.

Thanks for the info. Is the sailing though the main canal what people are talking about when they talk about the unique experience of sailing into Venice?

We sailed into Venice a few years ago for an overnight visit...arrived at about 3pm...the Venice Marathon was being held that day and it was also pretty overcast so they held us back a bit because departing ships were delayed a bit. Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman were singing "Time to Say Goodbye" over the loudspeaker. It was AMAZING...I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

We sailed into Venice a few years ago for an overnight visit...arrived at about 3pm...the Venice Marathon was being held that day and it was also pretty overcast so they held us back a bit because departing ships were delayed a bit. Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman were singing "Time to Say Goodbye" over the loudspeaker. It was AMAZING...I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

That's similar to other accounts that I have read. It's a bucket list item for us, hopefully before it's irrevocably changed.

We departed from Venice 4 years ago on Splendour- it truly was amazing. That said, we spent a few days in Venice last year before our Harmony cruise out of Rome and taking the local water bus through the canals is also very special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes (the area in the picture), but on RCI it's mainly on the way out due to timing. Assuming Venice is the turn around port, most ships come in quite early (5-6 AM) so not as much to see (could even be dark late in the season) as say 5 PM on departure.

Thx for following up on Bob's question Biker, I had to get back to work!:halo:

Those same turn-around ships that homeport in Venice have a 4pm or 5pm sailaway so they at least get one daylight transit. I woke on Voyager at 6am thinking I'd watch us sail by St Marks and we were already pulling into the pier :mad::mad:.

With regard to Bob;s question, yes... the general views of the entire city as you slowly sail along past St Marks. It's about 30-40 minutes from the pier, past St Marks, and past the main areas of Venice into the Northern channel. The new proposed southern entry would have ships sail directly into the port from the opposite direction and thus miss the entire "canal" view

Note the photo below with Silhouette and Equinox docked... instead of coming by St Marks and turning right into the pier, the ships would come in from the other side (you can see further ocean) and turn left into the pier. Ships would never have a chance to sail by St Marks again

DSC09950_zps89790682.jpg

Here's Silhouette later in the afternoon sailing on by St Marks... rare view in the future imo

DSC00044_zpsd4bc6b91.jpg

DSC00046_zps2d3528c2.jpg