Athens Hotels

HBINLA

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel near Parthenon, etc?

Thanks!!!

In July 2015, we stayed for 3 nights at the Athens Gate Hotel. It was perfectly located and has a nice breakfast with a view of the Acropolis. The rooftop bar at night was really special. Our balcony literally looked out at the Temple of Zeus.

Walking distance to the Plaka and great restaurants.

Check them out on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189400-d227384-Reviews-The_Athens_Gate_Hotel-Athens_Attica.html

Or the hotel website:

http://athensgate.gr

I can also highly recommend Athens Gate -- have stayed there twice and very much enjoyed it both times. The location really is difficult to beat.

Hi cruisemom42 - You are the one who told me about Athens Gate! I always benefit from your good advice.

In 2014 you told me about Hotel Britannique in Paris. Your suggestions are right on!

We're planning a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords this year. Have you been to that part of the world?

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie! I had made plans to do the winter trip up the Norway coast on one of the Hurtigruten ferries in March this year. But then I found out about a wonderful (one-time) opportunity for a different kind of trip altogether, so I will reschedule my Norway trip for 2017 in all likelihood. I really want to do the trip in winter for a chance to see the Northern Lights.

I will add another vote for the Athens Gate. We stayed there two years ago primarily because we liked the location. We were a five minute walk from the Acropolis Museum and as we were at the edge of the Platka but not in it where it can be noisy. The roof deck with its near view to the Acropolis was magical a night. The rooms were comfortable and the service was friendly..

Hi Bobbie! I had made plans to do the winter trip up the Norway coast on one of the Hurtigruten ferries in March this year. But then I found out about a wonderful (one-time) opportunity for a different kind of trip altogether, so I will reschedule my Norway trip for 2017 in all likelihood. I really want to do the trip in winter for a chance to see the Northern Lights.

Oh, a one-time opportunity does sound wonderful!

I would love to see the aurora borealis, too. The Hurtigruten ferries are great because they can get into the small ports. We have a friend who did that many years ago, when they were "post boat" cruises.

Maybe when I retire I'll be able to travel when wonderful opportunities (and deals) come up. For now, I must work to support my travel addiction. LOL

Safe travels and hopefully we'll hear about your adventure!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the hotel recommendation. I just booked a Temple of Zeus view room at Athens Gate! Those of you who have stayed here -- any idea what the cost was for a taxi from the cruise port? I'm trying to decide whether to get a taxi or a private transfer. Thanks! :)

Thanks for the hotel recommendation. I just booked a Temple of Zeus view room at Athens Gate! Those of you who have stayed here -- any idea what the cost was for a taxi from the cruise port? I'm trying to decide whether to get a taxi or a private transfer. Thanks! :)

A taxi for 2 with reasonable luggage should be about 20-25 euro from the port to Athens Gate.

If you have more people or a lot of luggage, keep in mind Athens taxis are fairly small!

Two years ago we paid about 30euros for a private transfer from the hotel to the port through Georges Taxis. We also used them to take us from the airport to the hotel (that was a bit more but I don't recall the exact price). The drivers were pleasant, good drivers and the cars were fairly new and in good condition.

Two years ago we paid about 30euros for a private transfer from the hotel to the port through Georges Taxis. We also used them to take us from the airport to the hotel (that was a bit more but I don't recall the exact price). The drivers were pleasant, good drivers and the cars were fairly new and in good condition.

I have been looking at George's Taxi for our transfer from the airport to our hotel. How was your experience? All of his reviews look good. I was also thinking of using him for a day sightseeing tour of Athens.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

You’ll love the Athens Gate! Rooms are modern and updated. The views are amazing, especially from the rooftop restaurant. Sorry, I don’t remember the price of the taxi, but it wasn’t exorbitant- I would remember that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would highly recommend the Plaka Hotel. I stayed there in 2016. We even hosted a pre-cruise party on their roof top bar and about 50 people attended. They were so accommodating!!!! Breakfast was great everyday. Yes, rooms were what you would expect in Europe. But clean, centrally located and great staff.

We stayed at the Plaka Hotel in 2016. Three types of rooms in our group, standard - superior - family. Each of us was very happy with our accommodations. The breakfast was excellent and you could step out the door and be right in the middle of the Plaka. Their rooftop terrace was fantastic and we even hosted a pre-cruise meet and greet up there - the view of the Acropolis was spectacular.

Highly recommend this hotel!

We used Welcome Pickups. It was really nice to have someone waiting for us at the baggage claim with a card with our name on it. We even had a picture of our driver to help us locate him. The cost was no more than an average cab ride and actually saved us a ton as there was a strike that day in Athens so others were paying triple what we paid.

This is also a pre-paid service so you don't even have to worry about paying the driver (you can of course tip). We received little reusable bags with maps, coupons and other information about the city and the driver was something of a tour guide as he drove us to the hotel.

Really enjoyed this service and am using it again this year.