Is the tour to see the new locks of the Panama Canal worthwhile?

oceanfan1212

Have you been to the "Historic" locks before. If the answer is no, then that would be your first consideration.

If you have, then the new locks really aren't that exciting. I did it just to say that I saw them. Plus I wanted to visit Limon....which didn't turn out the way I waned it to (could not get a tour to the Jaguar Sanctuary). Yes, it is another marvel. Yes, we had a fantastic guest lecturer. That will make all the difference in the world. But exciting? Not really.

While I don't want to say anything that will dissuade from taking in the new locks as they are worthwhile, but I have no idea where your interests lie or what other tours you might be considering. I also don't know what else is involved in the tour or if that is the big only item on the excursion. Did I put enough disclaimers in the first two sentences;):D? OK, as unvarnished as I can be... The Agua Clara Visitor's Center on the Atlantic side give you a great view of the Locks, Gatun Lake and a great view down the approach channel all the way to the Caribbean entrance. You will also be able to see ships locking through Gatun Locks in the not too far off distance. There is also a place to purchase snacks/ drinks as well as a restaurant on the premises, some depictions of the construction, audio visual presentations and a nature walk as well. Once you have a chance to view the lock complex and have the operation explained to you, what remains is to visit the attractions at the Center that I mentioned earlier. To be honest things move a lot slower at the new locks than they do at the original locks and there is a lot less items to attract your attention, such as the lack of the "mules" and only one lane of ship traffic. Which brings me to another point, there may not be a ship at the locks when you are there.

I enjoyed my visit there even though it was still under construction but, I do realize that it may have limited appeal. If you are traveling from the Pacific side, there is more transportation involved, so you can see more of the country... which may be a plus or a minus

While not on Princess (it was HAL), I took the tour because I had not seen the new locks from the new visitor center. I just wanted to say that I had done it.

And I enjoyed it, but being a guy, seeing the rolling gates, water retention/recycling system, tugs, etc, in action as ships made passage thru the new locks was (IMO) really cool. It was a busy day for northbound ships.

Having seen the old locks several times I enjoy the contrasts between the old and the new.

Took tour when we were anchored on Pacific side overnight from Island Princess. Didn't realize that the new locks on that side have no visitor center so they take you on expressway across to the Caribbean side. Fourth transit for us and wanted to see the new locks finally in operation. Worth the trip if you are interested in lock operation.