Cockleshell, Shipwreck or Discovery

Jt4428

Really depends on what you want in a beach. We went to Shipwreck 4 weeks ago. It is a small rustic semi-rundown spot that is laid back and cool. Food, drink and service is good. The lounge chairs are well used and the sand is black. It looks brown until the waves wash over it and then it turns black. Pretty cool. We enjoyed it, but we don't care much about amenities.

While there I took a hike a 1/2 mile or so down the beach to Carambola. It is nice, as in fancy. They had palapas, lounges, jet skis, kayaks, etc. Beautiful place.

Couldn't resize my pictures for CC.

Edited by clackey

Which beach would you recommend? or are there others?

There is also Frigate Bay - closest to the port. It is more of a local beach with a good nightlife and bar action after the sun goes down. More sand on the beach than the other two, but not as many amenities.

We spent a couple of hours close to Discovery and really enjoyed it. The only downside was that there were too many rocks in the water until you got out maybe 20 yards from the beach - then it was nice and sandy. There were a lot of fish, however, and the black sand was a nice change of pace.

Is the sand soft on the beeches with black sand?

I went to Shipwreck and the black sand is more course but unique. The beach bar is a funky shack with cold drinks and good basic food. Monkeys and mongoose are on the hillside behind the bar. The beach is narrow so water reaches the loungers at high tide, the beach is wider at Discovery just a short walk up the beach.

I went to Shipwreck and the black sand is more course but unique. The beach bar is a funky shack with cold drinks and good basic food. Monkeys and mongoose are on the hillside behind the bar. The beach is narrow so water reaches the loungers at high tide, the beach is wider at Discovery just a short walk up the beach.

Thank you.

Been a few years but the Snorkel at Cockelshell was not that great. I think we are going to try to go to Discovery or shipwreck this time.

How hard is it to get to Discovery? Can the cab get there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Given a choice between Discovery, Shipwreck and Carambola what would you choose?

We chose Discovery this past December when we were there. But, it really depends on what you are looking for. We were only there for a couple of hours and did not need chairs, umbrellas, or food. We just wanted to enjoy the beach and swim/snorkel a bit. So, the area by Discovery worked great for us.

There will be 8 of us all adults going later this month can we just grab a taxi and go to one of the beaches? Any idea of taxi prices? Thanks

Yes, taxis are readily available right at the end of the pier. Just tell the person organizing them how many you have in your group and where you want to go. There are three main beaches: Frigate Bay ($3 person), South Friars ($4 person) and Cockleshell ($7 person). Prices are each way. If you arrange to have your driver come to pick you up, you will pay the total after he/she drops you off back at the pier.

Yes, taxis are readily available right at the end of the pier. Just tell the person organizing them how many you have in your group and where you want to go. There are three main beaches: Frigate Bay ($3 person), South Friars ($4 person) and Cockleshell ($7 person). Prices are each way. If you arrange to have your driver come to pick you up, you will pay the total after he/she drops you off back at the pier.

Thank you this is very helpful :)