Assigned a full ADA wheelchair accessible room that we don't need - Westerdam

ohioNCLcruiser

Hey Everyone,

I've only cruised with HAL once so not very familiar with how they handle this so I figure I'd ask the experts!

My friend and I are doing a 14 day cruise out of Shanghai on the Westerdam and were assigned SY 8068 which is a full wheelchair signature superior veranda cabin. My friend and I do not need this but its the only cabin left in that category. We called HAL and let them know we don't need it and would like something else. My worry is that for selfish reasons another cabin won't open up and we won't get the tub, double sinks etc that the regular cabin has. My non selfish reasons is I worry that someone might actually need this cabin. We answered yes to the generic booking question of, "Would you like a free upgrade if available" but anything else we would do besides calling every so often? I assume if someone calls them and tries to book a wheelchair cabin they will see if we will take a different category cabin?

Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

James

We had a similar situation a few years ago. I, too, was worried about "taking" an HA cabin from someone who needed it. I was assured that if someone actually needed it, it would not have been available as an upgrade (we were upgraded from the category we booked). We did sail in the cabin; it was not a suite so can't comment on the loss of the one sink. I enjoyed the walk in shower but my DM not so much. She loves her baths.

I hope you can change the cabin but think it unlikely. Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

If you booked with a HAL PCC, you would have their name and extension number.

IF you have that info, I would suggest you call and explain your situation If you do not have the name, any phone rep at HAL should be able to tell you who took your booking. If it was just a random phone rep, you likely will not hear from them again.

Maybe that name is on your confirmation of booking.

Usually people who need such cabins book them well in advance, and they only assigned to people who don't need them fairly close to sailing day. My guess is that you will not be moved unless there is a late cancellation that would give you an upgrade.