Falkland Islands: penguins

digitl

We'll be arriving on the Veendam on 4 December, 10:00 until 16:00, so Volunteer Point is (sadly) out.

HAL's shore excursions include a three hour trip to Sparrow Cove:

'Drive 30 minutes off road in a four-wheel-drive vehicle for a fascinating visit to a Gentoo penguin colony. You may also see king penguins and Magellan penguins as well as other fascinating wildlife such as red-backed hawks, Falkland skuas, upland geese and the Falkland flightless steamer duck. Walk about 300 feet across sometimes boggy ground, as vehicles are not permitted close to the birds. There are basic restroom facilities and a shelter'

and another four hour tour to an unnamed location:

'The funniest members of the incredibly comedic penguin world are undoubtedly the rockhopper penguins in their natural environment. Due to brand new road construction, this is the very first year that visitors to the Falklands have had the chance to view these comical penguins, rarely found in other locations. Other highlights of the trip include seeing many of the mountains involved in the later stages of the Falklands conflict as well as being able to view and photograph both the capital, Stanley, and your ship from a distinctive vantage point. This tour will travel by minibus and take in the main sights of Stanley, then change to 4x4 transportation at Murrell Farm. From here, an experienced overland driver/guide will navigate the terrain to the rockhopper penguin colony where wardens will be on hand to offer information and assistance. This is a unique opportunity to take amazing once-in-a-lifetime photographs and experience the joy these penguins naturally and effortlessly bring to any audience. There are basic restroom facilities available, as well as refreshments which include tea, coffee and snacks'.

Anyone any ideas on where the second tour might be to?

Would it be 'better' than that to Sparrow Cove?

Are there King Penguins at Sparrow Cove? I thought they were only at Volunteer Point and Bluff Cove.

TIA.

I would also be intertested in any opinions!

On Holland America's web site it lists an excursion to Bluff Cove but when you try and book it and enter your customer number is is not on the list of excursions for the Falkland Islands.

We'll be arriving on the Veendam on 4 December, 10:00 until 16:00, so Volunteer Point is (sadly) out.

'Drive 30 minutes off road in a four-wheel-drive vehicle for a fascinating visit to a Gentoo penguin colony. You may also see king penguins and Magellan penguins as well as other fascinating wildlife such as red-backed hawks, Falkland skuas, upland geese and the Falkland flightless steamer duck. Walk about 300 feet across sometimes boggy ground, as vehicles are not permitted close to the birds. There are basic restroom facilities and a shelter'

'The funniest members of the incredibly comedic penguin world are undoubtedly the rockhopper penguins in their natural environment. Due to brand new road construction, this is the very first year that visitors to the Falklands have had the chance to view these comical penguins, rarely found in other locations. Other highlights of the trip include seeing many of the mountains involved in the later stages of the Falklands conflict as well as being able to view and photograph both the capital, Stanley, and your ship from a distinctive vantage point. This tour will travel by minibus and take in the main sights of Stanley, then change to 4x4 transportation at Murrell Farm. From here, an experienced overland driver/guide will navigate the terrain to the rockhopper penguin colony where wardens will be on hand to offer information and assistance. This is a unique opportunity to take amazing once-in-a-lifetime photographs and experience the joy these penguins naturally and effortlessly bring to any audience. There are basic restroom facilities available, as well as refreshments which include tea, coffee and snacks'.

Are there King Penguins at Sparrow Cove? I thought they were only at Volunteer Point and Bluff Cove.

TIA.

We did the Sparrow Cove excursion. There were mostly Gentoo penguins, but some people did see a small number of King penguins. I didn't see them--probably because I was squinting to keep the freezing, horizontal rain out of my eyes. The tea facilities are in a trailer, and there's a porta-john outside. In the end, we were glad that we had chosen this penguin adventure rather than Volunteer Point, which was a long journey which just made it back to ship in time after having lots of vehicles getting stuck in the bogs.

TIA.

Also, see this posting from another thread:

The rain has certainly caused problems this year with the travel over the peat bogs. We were with Patrick Watts to Volunteer Point on February 22 and the conditions were very difficult. Two hours from the farm over the peat there and 2 1/2 hours back over the peat to the farm. That doesn't count almost and hour each way over paved and gravel roads. There were many times that a vehicle had to be pulled out of the bog. The trip had to be very hard on the vehicles.

As far as Volunteer Point, even in the wind and rain that was with us all day it was still a wonderful sight with large groups of Kings, Gentoos and Magellanics. Glad the seas were calm and we were able to tender in. Princess treats people with independent tours much better and it is not difficult to make it in an early tender. You just need to get in line for tender tickets early in the morning. All of Patrick's group was off in good time.

HAL describe this excursion as 'strenuous'. What did you think?

Ours wasn't particularly strenuous, but you may be going to a different farm. Ours was a half-day excursion. Apparently the farmers/landowners allow access to their property and sometimes choose the drivers of the vehicles. The wire fences had been lowered, and the Land Rovers drove over them on their way to the penguins. We had to clamber into and out of the backs of the vehicles and walk around in the fields, but nothing was really difficult. I did, however, manage to slip and fall into a peat bog (not recommended). :o

We just did the Sparrow Cove with HAL last month. Unlike the other posters our weather was wonderful and according to the captain one of the best they had all season. I wouldn't say the excursion was "strenuous;" however you should have good mobility and be able to handle a lot of jarring about. The 4x4's bounce along the bogs about 20-30 min and they go in groups to help each other out in case one gets bogged down. Once the vehicle stop it is gentle rolling hills not smooth surfaces to where the gentoos and kings are. It was interesting to see that the few kings there were right in the middle of all the gentoos not off to one side. You'll have about 45 min to see the penquins, watch them go for a dip and chat with the local naturalist who's there to make sure you don't try to play with the birds.

The walk from the viewing area to the tea room is about 1/2 mile or so. Their tea room was wonderful as you got your choice of beverage and 3 pastries that were homemade. Try one of the diddledee tarts which is made from the fruit of a bush with dark red berries that you will see riding along the bogs.

The people are wonderful! We very much enjoyed chatting with them and hearing about the war in 1982 from those who were there. The town is fun to walk around as well. Everything here is shipped in once a week or once a month so you won't find many bargains here. If you have the chance try to get out to their museum as well. We didn't get there but were told by others that it does a good job of chronicling the times.

The rockhopper tour was cancelled on our cruise as they had already migrated, but it was late Feb so you should be ok in Dec.

I wouldn't say the excursion was "strenuous;" however you should have good mobility and be able to handle a lot of jarring about

Thanks! I had suspected that 'strenuous' might refer to the bouncing around rather than out and out effort on a difficult walk.

We just need to decide whether the King penguins are more important than a wider view of the island (other highlights of the trip include seeing many of the mountains involved in the later stages of the Falklands conflict as well as being able to view and photograph both the capital, Stanley, and your ship from a distinctive vantage point. This tour will travel by minibus and take in the main sights of Stanley, then change to 4x4 transportation at Murrell Farm) such as the trip to the as yet unidentified location offers.

Did you see much of the island on the way to Sparrow Cove?

Thanks! I had suspected that 'strenuous' might refer to the bouncing around rather than out and out effort on a difficult walk.

We just need to decide whether the King penguins are more important than a wider view of the island (other highlights of the trip include seeing many of the mountains involved in the later stages of the Falklands conflict as well as being able to view and photograph both the capital, Stanley, and your ship from a distinctive vantage point. This tour will travel by minibus and take in the main sights of Stanley, then change to 4x4 transportation at Murrell Farm) such as the trip to the as yet unidentified location offers.

Did you see much of the island on the way to Sparrow Cove?

For our tour, we were tendered directly to Sparrow Cove and then back to the ship, so we didn't see any of other highlights. After returning to the ship, we took another tender into Stanley but didn't have another tour. The weather was beautiful in the afternoon.

For our tour, we were tendered directly to Sparrow Cove and then back to the ship, so we didn't see any of other highlights. After returning to the ship, we took another tender into Stanley but didn't have another tour.

Thanks. How long did all that take? We're only there for six hours: 10:00 until 16:00.

Thanks. How long did all that take? We're only there for six hours: 10:00 until 16:00.

The penguin tour was in the morning--like from 8:00-12:00 or so. The last tender back from town was at 5:00-6:00, so our ship was there 9 or 10 hours. The tender ride itself was maybe 15 minutes to Sparrow Cove and the same into Stanley.

Out of the two tours I would choose the rockhoppers as I could watch them for hours and do :-)

As for Sparrow cove and King penguins, I believe that they "pop in" from time to time so you might get to see them (I've never been to that location so can't say for 100%)

Jason, thanks for the response: appreciated.

I've also had a look at Bluff Cove which would seem to offer a better experience than the two I mentioned above. It's not, however, listed by HAL for our cruise so I have emailed directly for details. I've not had a response yet (though I've had a read receipt). Any chance you could give someone a nudge?

I'm unsure why HAL are not listing Bluff Cove but I'm sure the owners of Bluff cove will be having words. Will have a word with them myself, it might be that HAL have just not opened up BLuff cove at this time for whatever reason.

Hi Jason

Just re-checked the excursions for our cruise (Veendam, leaves Valparaiso 26 November 2010, arrives Stanley 4 December) and Bluff Cove isn't listed for that particular cruise in the 'book your excursions' section when logged in, though it is listed in the itinerary you see before booking.

I'm unsure why HAL are not listing Bluff Cove but I'm sure the owners of Bluff cove will be having words. Will have a word with them myself, it might be that HAL have just not opened up BLuff cove at this time for whatever reason.

Hi

Just got this back from HAL: 'We are still finalizing some of the excursions for your sailing. If you would check back at a later date, we would be happy to check this again for you.'

Two things come to mind:

This response is days/weeks faster than I've had from HAL previously!!

and

'A word' with the owners of Bluff Cove might be useful if they are to get the business they deserve (anyone booking now will book with one of the alternatives...).

the owner is looking into it

Thanks: appreciated (and thanks, too, for the response in the 'other place'!).

I've been back to HAL and asked if we could be waitlisted but they said 'No': 'Unfortunately, we cannot waitlist if it has not been finalized and entered onto the booking screen'.

If we make it to Bluff Cove I'll try and keep an eye open for you.

I tried today to book the "Bluff Cove" excursion that is listed on HAL site but when you enter your reservation number it is not listed anymore as an excursion. Does that mean it is already full? Our cruise is in December.

I've emailed HAL about this and they said 'We are still finalizing some of the excursions for your sailing. If you would check back at a later date, we would be happy to check this again for you.'

Archived