Amtrak Miami to Miami cruise port?

toxicfairy

So after looking into flights for our July Seaside cruise for the 4 of us I decided we are not flying. $2300 plus change( goes up and down a few $$). Then considered renting a mini van and driving until I factored in gas and tolls and parking. So looking at taking Amtrak from 30th St station in Philadelphia to Miami. Yes it is a 28 hour ride in coach seats. But driving would be the same minus maybe 3 hours. On the train however we can get up and move around, not have to beg the DH to make bathroom stops, and we can go into the cafe car to get a change of scenery. And for less then renting the van with all the gas and tolls and parking.

Does any one know how far the Amtrak station is from the cruise port? Does anyone know of a hotel close by the Amtrak station?

Thanks for any help.

PS. The train is 1/2 the price of flying so the extra long travel time is not a big deal.

The Amtrak Station is about ten miles from the Port of Miami.

If you google hotel rates miami, you can select one for the dates you need, and check Uber or Lyft for the cost of getting there. Another ride from hotel to port will be necessary.

Don't depend on Amtrak being on time.

It may be a good idea to check hotels near the port. The Brickell area is mentioned a lot on these boards.

Google miami hotel near amtrak miami. Also google miami hotel near port of miami. That will give you an idea what is available and the cost.

Edited by swedish weave

Amtrak is north of the MIA airport. I agree with the above - plan to arrive at least the day prior to your cruise as trains are usually late.

Downtown hotels will offer lots of local dining, shopping and nightlife options. Hampton Inn Brickell, Hyatt, Doubletree, Intercontinental and a variety of Marriott properties are popular choices.

If you want to save a few bucks and just want a shower and bed hotels near MIA may work for you. Budget options include La Quinta East. Hotels in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood (Homewood, Hampton Inn, etc.) are popular - nice are with a local strip mall for shopping and dining options.

Taxi and Uber/Lyft are widely available - you do not need to rent a car.

Good luck with your planning! ;)

So after looking into flights for our July Seaside cruise for the 4 of us I decided we are not flying. $2300 plus change( goes up and down a few $$). Then considered renting a mini van and driving until I factored in gas and tolls and parking. So looking at taking Amtrak from 30th St station in Philadelphia to Miami. Yes it is a 28 hour ride in coach seats. But driving would be the same minus maybe 3 hours. On the train however we can get up and move around, not have to beg the DH to make bathroom stops, and we can go into the cafe car to get a change of scenery. And for less then renting the van with all the gas and tolls and parking.

Does any one know how far the Amtrak station is from the cruise port? Does anyone know of a hotel close by the Amtrak station?

Thanks for any help.

PS. The train is 1/2 the price of flying so the extra long travel time is not a big deal.

That airfare cost is outrageous. You asked about Amtrak info, which I cannot help you with but did you consider flying Southwest from PHL to Ft Lauderdale? Southwest also flies into FLL from Newark and Baltimore, as other possibilities.

That airfare cost is outrageous. You asked about Amtrak info, which I cannot help you with but did you consider flying Southwest from PHL to Ft Lauderdale? Southwest also flies into FLL from Newark and Baltimore, as other possibilities.

Wherever Amtrak stops, you could take Lyft or UBER to port

Pat & Richard

Southern California

you do not want a hotel near the AMTRAK Station ......

the station 8303 NW 37th Ave, Miami, check it out on Google maps

the train station is about 6.7 miles from the port, the airport is about 5.7, the train station is about 1 mile north of the airport.

if you want to try 'exploring' there is a MetroRail station 0.2 miles from the AMTRAK station and this can get you to the airport, downtown or Brickell area ... I'm not recommending this, I'm saying it is there ....

I'd shoot for the Hampton Inn Brickell and taxi or UBER to here and do same to get to the port the next day. Plenty of eating options in Brickell and a safe area to walk about to get to them.

had a relative that refused to fly come visit us in Miami by AMTRAK once from way up north, one of those 24 hour plus rides .... by the time she returned home she decided she simply would never visit us again ... and she hasn't! Husband and kids will fly down, she won't and rather than do the train again she stays home.

Edited by Capt_BJ

When traveling to Miami on Amtrak, I have stayed at Embassy Suites Miami Airport, which is not too far away and was perfectly acceptable. I was traveling with someone else who paid the cab fare. I do not fly, and will be taking Amtrak to Ft. Lauderdale for my upcoming cruise out of Port Everglades. The Miami Amtrak station is not in the best neighborhood. You may want to consider taking the train to Hollywood and staying at a hotel near that station (if you do not want to stay near the port) or take the advice of others and stay near Brickell.

How you will cope with 28 hours in coach will depend on a lot of things. Have you ever taken a long distance train overnight? I would not recommend that long of a trip for a new train traveler older than 35. I certainly would not travel for that long in coach (and I have over 200,000 Amtrak miles under my belt, but am well over 35). If you opt for sleeping accommodations, my guess it will cost much more than flying (although meals are included if you take the Silver Meteor). Rooms on the Silver Star are less expensive, but do not include meals.

Thanks every one. After more research i did find flights on Delta. Its more than I am use to paying but it will go into Miami so that will be a plus and it will still be a bit cheaper than Southwest which is who we have always flown with. I guess I can live with it and my family won't have to take off the 2 extra days they would if we drove or took the train.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Have you checked out the Auto train? Drive to just south of DC, you and your car get on the train, next morning you get off just north of Orlando.

I'm not sure that I would try to make a cruise ship departure in Miami same day as getting off the Auto Train (you would probably be okay but the "penalty for failure" is rather hefty) but it is a fun trip

I just ran the fare and it is $1,300 for four people and a car

I am surprised air fare is that high in July. Makes no sense that PHL-MIA is $575.00/person. I just booked FLL-PHL on Jetblue for $145/pp in 3 weeks from now.

I can almost guarantee you that you will find flights in the $180-$220 range at some point.

I just went on Google flights and its showing $200 range flights all throughout July from PHL-MIA/FLL