Uncruise: any experience?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:01 AM.
San Diego, California
456 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Ok then.......that all suits me just fine! And so an Uncruise is now on our list to to-do's
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next: Tall ship sailing, March 2018

Since 2000: on Sailing Ships
Arabella (7), Diamant (4), Vela (2), Mandalay, Polynesia, Sagitta, Star Clipper (4), Star Flyer, Wind Star (4), Wind Surf (2)

Pre 2000: on small cruise ships
Caribe I, Seabreeze, Oceanbreeze, Renaissance III, Columbia Queen
Charlotte NC
53 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Did 2 of their Alaska trips (superb), 2 of their Portland OR trips (one wine, one regular, both superb), and a Costa Rica/Panama trip. Latter OK, but I would strongly recommend taking the pre- or post-cruise extension in the mountains. This cruise line has offered the best experience we've had since our days of yore on the Mandalay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
- S/V Mandalay, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Windward Islands & Panama
- M/V Grande Mariner, Blount, Great Lakes & Erie Canal
- M/V Safari Endeavor, UnCruise, Alaska
- M/V Legacy, UnCruise, Colombia & Snake Rivers
- M/V Infante Henrique, CrossiEurope, Portugal
- M/V Glory, American Cruise Lines, Florida

- M/V Safari Voyager, UnCruise, Costa Rica & Panama
- M/V Variety Voyager, Vantage, British Isles

Planned:
- M/V America, American Cruise Lines, Mississippi River
- M/V American Duchess, American Steamboat Co., Nashville
451 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
We just booked the Baja's Bounty Sea of Cortez cruise on Uncruise for February 2018. Looking forward to trying this new cruise line. We took a similar type cruise many years ago on the now defunct Temptress and it was our best vacation ever. Would love to hear tips from those who have cruised on Uncruise about things we shouldn't miss while on board.
19 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Hi all,

I'm going to be on the Wilderness Discoverer this fall for the Uncruise San Juans trip, and I was hoping that I could get some specific information to help me pack. Any idea when I can expect my packet? All I have from my travel agent is the electronic itinerary.

I've done some googling and I know the Navigator cabin is small with a wet bathroom. I'm wondering if there is an integrated clothesline in the bathroom or if there is something I can hook my bungees to dry out sink hand washes. (And I was just assuming to bring the travel sink stopper)

It also sounds like earplugs for engine noise is important.

Additionally, the brochure seems to imply that you can rent boots (some ships they are included but it doesn't look like they are for this one based on my reading of the brochure... and that they will be *needed*!). Are they any good or is this something I need to shop for? I have goretex hiking shoes and boots- would those boots be sufficient or should I go shoes + rubber boots? The googling I've done shows forest hiking, and the people don't appear to be especially muddy.

Finally, it appears the kayaks will be in heavy use- do they have the upgraded seat/backrest combos?

Oh, and Is there anything that you considered the must see part of the cruise for those of you who have taken this trip? When I took a trip on the Safari Quest with American Safari, there were only 10 passengers, so we all did the same thing except a couple stood where you could choose not to kayak or paddle board. I'm assuming with more passengers, there will be more options.

Thanks!