What to do from Marseille - torn on options!

TupeloHoney

We will be in Marseille for one day in March. And I am just so not sure what we should do. Marseille is our only stop in France then we continue on to Spain, Malta and Italy. We plan on getting out of Marseille, and probably hiring a tour company. I just can't decide on the various options from that point.

We have a group of 9, ranging in age from 6 to 82. (which is a bummer because all the tour companies only seem to be able to handle 8 - so it's going to be expensive to hire two vans)

I want something "French" - as it's our only stop and half of the people have never been to France, the other half haven't been in about 20 years.

Honestly my only requirement is that I get a baguette sandwich (like the amazing one I had in Paris 20 years ago), a croissant (or some other pastry) and a coffee - maybe also a glass of wine. And then just soak up France - some beautiful views. I want my kids (6 and 10) to eat something amazing and to feel like they have been in France.

I was thinking Aix - but my sister-in-law things it looks boring. She's interested in seeing the ruins in Arles, but I figure we'll see plenty of Roman ruins in Italy. I'm okay going to Arles, but I'd like to take on something else too - something more French.

We're mostly interested in food and culture and history. Not so interested in going into too many museums or cathedrals - but one maybe for the history?

I just keep going round and round with this in my head, and my sister-in-law (my co planner for this trip) does too. So thought I would ask for any suggestions.

Merci! ;)

I've not been to Aix but have been to Arles. What I enjoyed about Arles were the forum which was more intact than any other I've seen but also the places in Arles that were painted by Vincent Van Gogh. In Arles (and also in Auvers sur Oise in the north), they have sign posts with a picture of the painting (and descriptions) in front of the subject of the painting. I knew little of Vincent before our French river cruises but know so much more now. It really added to the enjoyment of the trip. Maybe it will for your family, too.

Good luck with your planning!

This post caught my eye whilst skimming through the new posts.

We visited Marseille last year and as we are fairly local being in the UK didnt want to "do" Marseille so we took a ships excursion. That I realise is probably not an option for you. However we really enjoyed the day out so I will put it forward as a suggestion for you to look at.

We wanted to go to Avignon and had thought of going on a river cruise but they are (we feel) very expensive compared to an ocean cruise. So on the basis that we were saving at least £4000 by not going on a river cruise we would spend whatever it cost on a ships tour.

Like you we went in march it was warm enough but it did rain - a shower or two with sun between in the time we were there. Luckily it was rain when we were in the popes palace and fine when we were walking the town. You will miss the Lavender being in bloom but your guide driver should tell you a bit about it and you will see the fields. He should tell you some of the history of the area IIRC that part of France was Spain at some time ( I dont listen too well - prefer to see the country as we pass through)

I will try and add a scan of the tour so you can check out the places. We didnt miss out on some of Marseille drove us back through the town to the Notre dame basilica with views over the old port.

If you are interested and want to see a few pictures I will put some in an album you can view.

Also I spotted this for you - a car for 9 wow!

http://www.day-tours-from-avignon.com/shore-excursions-departing-from-marseilles-cruise-port/

might be a bit crowded? Anyway it doesnt come with any recommendation you can check it out for yourselves.

It looks as you will want a whole car so you can probably negotiate a price for whatever itinerary you chose.

abIsI-m2gcM_cEtHdOtpufMfhg1DgQprpFNojNK1Y9z2Fli9oA4L_LYw5S24LoRgu9G5Z4HHVspyF1I7DqbUEC0GixUK7Izh2v6HvK_Nr09D5PyBiEkfpXUKAj5IIuYJB2L7nZbNVMAi4IiPlce-C5TdUdSmc1xbh627WoF4BuQ02aX8D5GdS46phU4mu60yuuTj6MiWMJsjj812egvGvIEpe670OfLm2PvxhKZT_V_CMMWYXZJYACHXj4DMLBYj_BkxbzigqDPSfTqTOL-pQlIcWohRRQyPcqUHrqGQtH96WHZ43iD4Ma5E4sNVKrfoJ3ltYgPkChJlat8l2DMCmqT-AbAx032EwPtjAzRWOQf1t3x085IbeNLvpbEXhVea_t9Oe1kPaMeJKNfS3wVSZf3D7MbN44krFp3i0fzZtsjYPSgoqMX6Qsa86DN8_QxcyG71azV-OyTRwMVvS-DreiYxTFmpDfNkSEuz7EjkP5FDMMhllQIaoQMyKfrK8Y9en8fHAEl4WvJpe6aBRWq6VWJP4REW3ZgifBgtd7ZoO5by_l7f9xRL5qLPV43g0aUbNIx6_SoO5MG1DOUsuIfvxdKkfcVujiWTugYmlQ8=w1152-h648-no

I want something "French" - as it's our only stop and half of the people have never been to France, the other half haven't been in about 20 years.

Honestly my only requirement is that I get a baguette sandwich (like the amazing one I had in Paris 20 years ago), a croissant (or some other pastry) and a coffee - maybe also a glass of wine. And then just soak up France - some beautiful views. I want my kids (6 and 10) to eat something amazing and to feel like they have been in France.

OK, so you have a romantic idea of France - small villages, beautiful landscapes, great food - and that is wonderful. The problem is where to find it. Yes, it is out there. No, it is not in the larger cities (which would be the real, actual France). And, yes, you need a tour company.

First, let me recommend an excellent tour company: Tour Designer in Provence http://www.provence-travel.com/ Book them quickly, they are in high demand.

Ask them to plan a tour for you to some mountain villages: Fontaine de Vaucluse, Gordes, L'Isle Sur La Sorgue. That is what you are looking for, trust me.

An alternative with more conventional stops would be Les Baux, St Remy and Avignon.

Research these places and get in touch with the tour company.

Bon voyage.

Since it is March, I would probably lean toward Marazul’s second option, unless tourism picks up early in Provence. When we were in the hill towns on a November land trip, things were so quiet, it was weird (except L’Isle Sur la Sorgue on market day). Even Arles was eerily deserted. Avignon, Les Baux and Aix were lively, but not overly crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an idea here. Since there are 9 of you and your sister-in-law has different things she wants to see in this port, possibly you might be willing to split up that day. Solves the “too many for one van” problem too. I cruised with a group of 12 one time, we normally were split into 6 and 6. Easier for decision making and logistics too.

Hi,

I prefer Arles than Aix en Provence. More authentic, more peaceful, more heritage and Van Gogh !

If you can combine Arles with Les Baux de Provence or Saint Remy its a must.

I had a great tour with ProvencePrivateTour.com. They are very competitive. See what they can offer.

Regards