Tri Rail from FLL to MIA?

KCMiller

Has anyone ever taken the Tri Rail train from FLL to MIA before a cruise? We're flying into FLL the day before our cruise, and the hotel we're thinking of staying at has a free shuttle from the MIA airport. Just curious if anyone else has done this - it's just myself and my DH, and we will have one rolling suitcase apiece.

thanks!

The FLL Tri-Rail station is not actually in FLL itself; there is a free shuttle that will take you from the terminal at FLL to the Tri-Rail station (Griffin Road & I-95, about a 10-minute ride).

Uber may be quicker as you can get picked up at FLL and taken directly to your hotel. No need to hassle with luggage and you have door-to-door service.

Has anyone ever taken the Tri Rail train from FLL to MIA before a cruise? We're flying into FLL the day before our cruise, and the hotel we're thinking of staying at has a free shuttle from the MIA airport. Just curious if anyone else has done this - it's just myself and my DH, and we will have one rolling suitcase apiece.

thanks!

What you describe is very feasible and easy. As mentioned above, there is a 10 minute shuttle from FLL to the TriRail station and then the TriRail terminates at MIA.

Uber was suggested and is not a bad idea, but I suggest you get an uber estimate of the cost so that you can make an informed decision.

Uber should be about $35+ - Tri-Rail should be under $5 each, plus the shuttle to the train station, a walk on the MIA end, and another shuttle to your hotel. Lots of hassle to save $15-20 It is your vacation and your call. ;)

I don't think the money saved ($20-$30) is worth the hassle. The Tri-Rail does not run often, so you could easily be waiting 45mins+ at the station at FLL, not taking into account the 10min shuttle, waiting for the shuttle. You then have the train ride, then you need to exit at MIA, and find the airport shuttle, which usually leaves from the airport, so that would be a monorail ride away as well.

In all that time you could get in an Uber, spend around $35.00 and be there in half the time door-door.

What time are you getting into FLL?

As a side note, don't make hotel choices in Miami based on port shuttles. There are a lot of great hotels very very close to the port to stay at, especially if you have the day/evening to spend in Miami.

I missed that option -- you could stay at a hotel just a shuttle ride from FLL and be in your room in about 10 minutes; the next morning take a $15 per person shared shuttle (SAS, QLS, etc.) or Uber (about $35) to POM. Skip the Tri-Rail and the area around FLL is MUCH nicer than the area around MIA. ;)