Pearl Upgrade from SE to SC for Alaska cruise

boppermom

We are sailing on the Pearl in June in current category SE, forward facing penthouse. (Large balcony)

Since the Pearl was added to the upgrade advantage program yesterday, I have the opportunity to bid on SC (two bedroom penthouse) and most of the Haven suites. Although we don't need the extra bedroom in the SC, I find the extra floor space very tempting. My question is would I be crazy to give up the large balcony on the forward facing penthouse SE, for a smaller side balcony with the SC? I have seen some post about forward facing balcony being unusable during sailing. I have submitted a bid on the H3, with the inside space we desire and large balconies which would be our ultimate choice!! My bid probably won't be accepted for H3, so as backup considering putting in a bid for SC. Appreciate any input from seasoned cruisers. :):)

Edited by boppermom
corrected spelling

I would keep the extra huge balcony with the SE over the tiny side balcony of the SC. That forward balcony is prime real estate for Glacier Bay - as well as taking in the views when coming into and leaving port... when the ship usually travels around 5 or 10 knots, which is certainly not fast enough to make the balcony unusable.

You're right... in a perfect world, you would have the H3.

In 2015 we had an SE and last year an H3 both to Alaska. The weather in 2015 was amazing and we were able to use the balcony pretty much any day. Even the sea days it was decent. Last year the weather was not nearly as nice and we did not spend half as much time on our balcony. To us it would be worth the gamble with mother nature. We have also been in an SC. If it is just 2 of you I would stick with the SE or H3 as Alaska is about the scenery and the front of the ship is the place to be. It's like a little neighborhood up there with the few rooms that are up there. Very peaceful also. It is the quietest location on the ship. You can hear the birds wing tips hit the water when you are leaving port and they are getting out of the way of the ship. You get to hear many wildlife sounds you don't hear on any other part of the ship (and we have stayed on both sides, top, front and back).

We haven't sailed in an SC so I can't make the comparison with the SE for you, but we did just sail in an SE on the Jewel in January on a Panama Canal cruise. Because of the forward-facing (and huge) balcony, this was my "dream cabin" for the Canal. We totally loved it. The views -- without fighting crowds -- are just amazing. An added bonus is that because there are no lights in the bow, there's almost no light pollution at night and your ability to star gaze from your balcony is tons better than elsewhere on the ship.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Gatun%20locks%201024x683_zpsekwewkzw.jpg

Cartagena%20at%20sunrise%201024x480_zpsce9gkjh2.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Also, there are some SC's in bad locations, like under the gym. You cannot choose which one you get with the bidding system.

Thanks for the info, good point. The cabins under the gym would probably be the ones NCL would assign. I would be very disappointed to give up my quiet forward area to be under the gym . :(:(:(

In 2015 we had an SE and last year an H3 both to Alaska. The weather in 2015 was amazing and we were able to use the balcony pretty much any day. Even the sea days it was decent. Last year the weather was not nearly as nice and we did not spend half as much time on our balcony. To us it would be worth the gamble with mother nature. We have also been in an SC. If it is just 2 of you I would stick with the SE or H3 as Alaska is about the scenery and the front of the ship is the place to be. It's like a little neighborhood up there with the few rooms that are up there. Very peaceful also. It is the quietest location on the ship. You can hear the birds wing tips hit the water when you are leaving port and they are getting out of the way of the ship. You get to hear many wildlife sounds you don't hear on any other part of the ship (and we have stayed on both sides, top, front and back).

Thank you for your response. We will be happy with out SE if we don't receive the H3 through the bidding process. Since you have been in the SE, do you recall if the bed is queen or king? NCL website indicates queen but someone else posted it was a king.

We haven't sailed in an SC so I can't make the comparison with the SE for you, but we did just sail in an SE on the Jewel in January on a Panama Canal cruise. Because of the forward-facing (and huge) balcony, this was my "dream cabin" for the Canal. We totally loved it. The views -- without fighting crowds -- are just amazing. An added bonus is that because there are no lights in the bow, there's almost no light pollution at night and your ability to star gaze from your balcony is tons better than elsewhere on the ship.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Gatun%20locks%201024x683_zpsekwewkzw.jpg

Cartagena%20at%20sunrise%201024x480_zpsce9gkjh2.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Thanks turtles06, the pictures are good!! Do you recall if the bed was queen or king in the SE?

Thank you for your response. We will be happy with out SE if we don't receive the H3 through the bidding process. Since you have been in the SE, do you recall if the bed is queen or king? NCL website indicates queen but someone else posted it was a king.

I meant to type, we will be happy with "our" SE, not with out. :eek::eek:

It is a queen size bed. The only rooms with king size are the Owners Suites and the master bedroom in the Garden Villa. I'm not sure what the Deluxe Owners Suite has.

I have done Alaska six times... mostly in forward suites and I prefer that view BY FAR especially for Glacier Bay. On one cruise we had the two bedroom suite with my Dad... it was nice, but the view to the forward is not comparable. It can get very windy on the forward balcony, but not during Glacier Bay or when you going in or exiting port. You are not permitted to have your balcony lights on at night due to interference with the bridge... but never a problem for us. But seriously that forward view... I would NOT give up voluntarily!

We are sailing on the Pearl in June in current category SE, forward facing penthouse. (Large balcony)

Since the Pearl was added to the upgrade advantage program yesterday, I have the opportunity to bid on SC (two bedroom penthouse) and most of the Haven suites. Although we don't need the extra bedroom in the SC, I find the extra floor space very tempting. My question is would I be crazy to give up the large balcony on the forward facing penthouse SE, for a smaller side balcony with the SC? I have seen some post about forward facing balcony being unusable during sailing. I have submitted a bid on the H3, with the inside space we desire and large balconies which would be our ultimate choice!! My bid probably won't be accepted for H3, so as backup considering putting in a bid for SC. Appreciate any input from seasoned cruisers. :):)

Stay, stay, stay in the forward facing penthouse. Those are the premier cabins for the Alaska trip - your views are expansive and (IMO) the best in the ship.

The balconies are quite usable underway if you're dressed for Alaska. Bring layers and just put them on if you start to get cold. You can also step back from the railing and get some shelter from the wind, while still having a great view.

Been to AK three times - twice in an SF and once in a balcony. Have also sailed in an SC on the Dawn last fall to Canada and New England. For 2 people I would not trade the SE in AK for anything short of the Deluxe Owners suites on deck 14 (or 15). The beauty of AK is best seen from either the SE or SF suites. That said, with more than 2 people the SE/SF become tight quarters where as in the SC there is enough room for 3-4 without feeling cramped.

Hello,

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. After a little research with mock bookings, I find the SC can be booked for less money than the SE on one site. I wonder why NCL would offer me the SC as an "upgrade" at this point in the booking process? The SC initially caught my attention because of the extra floor space and larger bathroom but I have definitely decided against bidding on an SC. I am going to keep my bid in place for the H3, H2. Passing on the H1 & H5 also. I will still be very happy with my current SE if all bids are rejected.

Edited by boppermom
typo

Well cabin prices do go up and down based on overall sales trends. Typically the price increases slightly from SF to SE and SC then the big upgrade to the H series. I don't understand passing on the H5 - I would take the top of the ship view any day. The only advantage to the Haven is that you will have a semi private outside area to view Glacier Bay as well as the other scenic wonders of AK.