Hotel stay in Vancouver pre-cruise

oops

got confused..on our last Alaska cruise we flew in the morning of the cruise....little over an hour flight and leave every hour so was not worried about missing flilght

we stayed at Radisson Vancouver airport pre cruise..but cruise left out of Honolulu and came back to Vancouver. Stayed in Vancouver the night before our flight to HNL took the train into Canada Place area.

we had previously stayed at an airport hotel for an Alaska cruise That time we stayed at the Quality Inn which was not as nice as Radisson but had a deal on parking. We drove to Vancouver that time.

Nobody really cares about any of this but I hate giving incorrect info.

Radisson was nice and Skytrain was close.

I am booked at Days Inn downtown Vancouver. Inexpensive by Vancouver standards (from my research). It runs about $300 CAD, at least at the time I am booked.

I’ve never been to Vancouver and booked based on location.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your location is fine - a little more in the financial district than the busy tourist areas around Robson - it's the old Abbotsford Hotel which was spruced up many years ago.

Area is safe at night - our only real challenge in the down town which is where I currently live is a large number of homeless people.

They are more of a nuisance than a threat - just ignore them - keep walking and down engage in chatter.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers

Dennis

:):):)

Is this the Holiday Inn Express at the airport? Does it also include transportation from the airport to the hotel, from the cruiseport?

Thanks.

The cruise package is with the Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport - Richmond at 10720 Cambie Rd in Richmond.

Search ihg.com and find this hotel. Pick "Offers" (near the top of the header) and scroll down. You'll see "cruise ship package." They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then the cruise ship package includes room, breakfast, and a shuttle to the pier.

The cruise package is with the Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport - Richmond at 10720 Cambie Rd in Richmond.

Search ihg.com and find this hotel. Pick "Offers" (near the top of the header) and scroll down. You'll see "cruise ship package." They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then the cruise ship package includes room, breakfast, and a shuttle to the pier.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am booked at Days Inn downtown Vancouver. Inexpensive by Vancouver standards (from my research). It runs about $300 CAD, at least at the time I am booked.
Hope you are not staying there on a Friday or Saturday night.... the adjacent bar can be noisy until 3am.

Fairmont, Westin and Hyatt are great if budget is no concern. If budget matters, the Marriott Pinnacle, Metropolitan, Coast and Holiday Inn are also viable options in on the action. In summer rates really skyrocket.

That skyrocketing of Summer rates really makes the decision difficult: what it seems to me is that while these hotels are expensive, the second-tier hotels are almost as expensive. Specifically, they're all simply raising their price by the same amount, the summer premium. That ends up making the difference between them a smaller percentage of the whole. When we looked at our options, we found it really hard to choose a second-rate hotel for just a few percentage points less expensive then a truly premium hotel.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

We booked the Radisson Airport on Cambie for late September. 2018. We booked a non refundable rate for $199 USD.

The nice thing is they are totally renovating right now. This includes the pool and the dining.

They have a complimentary airport shuttle (2 miles). Cab from hotel to cruise port is $31 (USD) for up to 6 passengers.

... Cab from hotel to cruise port is $31 (USD) for up to 6 passengers.

Nope - cabs from anywhere except the airport are, by law, metered. Rate thus depends on traffic and is usually $40+ from any 'airport' hotel even if the cabbie doesn't take a roundabout route, with the Rad pricier than most as it's further south than many and not close to the main highway heading toward downtown. Cabs from airport are fixed CAD$35 to the pier - with US rate depending on what the current real exchange rate is and how much your cabbie pads the rate in their favour.

6 seater cabs are also very, VERY rare in Vancouver (I see one every ~2 years on average). With typical cruise luggage, even the 5 seater minivans actually only seat 4 comfortably - you'd need to be traveling light to fit all bags in the trunk area.

Nope - cabs from anywhere except the airport are, by law, metered. Rate thus depends on traffic and is usually $40+ from any 'airport' hotel even if the cabbie doesn't take a roundabout route, with the Rad pricier than most as it's further south than many and not close to the main highway heading toward downtown. Cabs from airport are fixed CAD$35 to the pier - with US rate depending on what the current real exchange rate is and how much your cabbie pads the rate in their favour.

6 seater cabs are also very, VERY rare in Vancouver (I see one every ~2 years on average). With typical cruise luggage, even the 5 seater minivans actually only seat 4 comfortably - you'd need to be traveling light to fit all bags in the trunk area.

That skyrocketing of Summer rates really makes the decision difficult: what it seems to me is that while these hotels are expensive, the second-tier hotels are almost as expensive. Specifically, they're all simply raising their price by the same amount, the summer premium. That ends up making the difference between them a smaller percentage of the whole. When we looked at our options, we found it really hard to choose a second-rate hotel for just a few percentage points less expensive then a truly premium hotel.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

As someone who travels to Vancouver monthly for work and pay ~$100-129/night government rate most of the year and get quoted $400/night in the summer I feel your pain. Of course depending on your budget, there is a difference between $400/night for second tier and $600+/night for the premium hotels.

We booked the Radisson Airport on Cambie for late September. 2018. We booked a non refundable rate for $199 USD.

They have a complimentary airport shuttle (2 miles). Cab from hotel to cruise port is $31 (USD) for up to 6 passengers.

True... however the Radisson offers a logistical benefit.

The Raddison Vancouver Airport is located in Richmond. Richmond cab advertises 6 passenger service. Look at the bottom right corner of this FAQ. http://www.richmondtaxi.ca/faqs

The Raddison Vancouver Airport's location makes it easy to request and schedule a 6 passenger vehicle for clients. Otherwise, the 20 minute $4 subway ride across the street is another option.

Keep in mind with 6 passengers.... your luggage may be sitting on your lap all the way into the airport. Otherwise.... the minivan offers lots of luggage space for less passengers.

The Raddison Vancouver Airport is located in Richmond. Richmond cab advertises 6 passenger service. Look at the bottom right corner of this FAQ. http://www.richmondtaxi.ca/faqs

The Raddison Vancouver Airport's location makes it easy to request and schedule a 6 passenger vehicle for clients. Otherwise, the 20 minute $4 subway ride across the street is another option.

Keep in mind with 6 passengers.... your luggage may be sitting on your lap all the way into the airport. Otherwise.... the minivan offers lots of luggage space for less passengers.

I take Richmond taxis frequently and I have never seen their vans with six seats because they have always in those I've been in had the wheelchair ramp replacing the third row of seats. This is anecdotal, but based on dozens of trips the past 5+ years I tend to agree with the other poster about them being hard to find. I also note that the faq mentions that drivers aren't permitted their phones, yet they always are on them with the Bluetooth earpiece.

Two taxis or the train are your most likely scenario and nothing wrong with either option aside from being a little more than the single taxi option. Never know maybe you'll get lucky.

Never know maybe you'll get lucky.

That's exactly the kind of thing that I like to try to avoid on vacation, relying on luck rather than assurance.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

That's exactly the kind of thing that I like to try to avoid on vacation, relying on luck rather than assurance.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Fair enough, but when the consequence is saving $40 vs solidifying an extra $40 for certainty does it really matter? In this case, certainty is accepting they may need two taxis, not a deal breaker IMO.

We don’t need a 6 passenger. Just making the statement about the rate in case someone needs it; same price for 6 passengers as it is 2.

Thanks for all the info on Taxi though. One thing I find with the boards is the information is usually most helpful for someone even if not the OP. [emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked Holiday Inn Express on Bridgeport in Richmond. We get in early and they said there is a place we can store our luggage so we can explore Vancouver. They also have transportation to the pier and airport shuttle. Price is not to bad either. You have to remember the price is in Canadian dollar. I had to call them to get the US dollar price.

• 4 weeks later...

Any input about Days Inn Vancouver Airport and Accent Inn Vancouver Airport? I've booked on before and one after our cruise. They get decent ratings and aren't outrageously priced (There are 3 ships in port, so everything downtown was $250 plus.)

I'm wanting to use the Skytrain as transport, so any info in that regard would be appreciated.

Days Inn is about half a kilometer (googlemaps) from Bridgeport station..easy to do if you do not have luggage, with luggage may be easier to take shuttle to airport and board skytrain there (fee for use of airport station though)

Accent Inn is further from station. has a free shuttle to airport. stayed at the Accent Inn a long time ago. clean and basic room.

last year pre hawaii cruise we stayed at the Radisson Vancouver Airport. nice modern hotel very close to a skytrain station. stayed there the night before flight to Hawaii to take cruise back to Vancouver. used skytrain to go in and see downtown...Soarinig over Canada at Pan pacific hotel and gassy Jack etc. but we have been to Vcr lots so had seen stuff before.

if you can get decent rate for Radisson I would try it. it has a free shuttle from the airport (have to call for it from aiport courtesy phone bank)

How far in advance would you have to book the YWCA?

Depends how many fellow cruisers have read my posts;-)

But in all seriousness, I'd book it right now if they'll let you - it does sell out consistently, especially the 'regular hotel room' rooms with en suite bathrooms.

Depends how many fellow cruisers have read my posts;-)

But in all seriousness, I'd book it right now if they'll let you - it does sell out consistently, especially the 'regular hotel room' rooms with en suite bathrooms.

I have been looking at the YWCA Hotel but wasn't sure of safety in the area but I saw your earlier post that says it is [emoji4]. Is it close to a transit stop? We are also planning on using the hop on/off trolley for a day, do you know if it is close to one of their stops or what the closest cross street would be? Our cruise isn't until next May so hopefully I can keep checking for them to open bookings and snatch a room with a private bathroom.

I have been looking at the YWCA Hotel but wasn't sure of safety in the area but I saw your earlier post that says it is [emoji4]. Is it close to a transit stop? We are also planning on using the hop on/off trolley for a day, do you know if it is close to one of their stops or what the closest cross street would be? Our cruise isn't until next May so hopefully I can keep checking for them to open bookings and snatch a room with a private bathroom.

Downtown Vancouver is small enough that there really isn't a notably safer/less safe area in terms of personal danger or casual property theft for tourists - in the former case you're probably safer than in the average small US town and in the latter if you leave a rental car parked with visible shinies anywhere in the city, assume you'll return to a broken window and your stuff missing! There are areas which LOOK scarier than others, but to be quite honest you'll see more beggars in the touristy and businessy parts of downtown than in the 'bad neighbourhoods' as beggars go where the money is, which means tourists and commuters... if seeing 'street people' makes you uncomfortable, you have to either suck it up or avoid all large West Coast cities. The YWCA is also quite possibly the single safest hotel in the city - it's primarily used as an income stream for the YWCA's support of various programs but is also used as short-term housing for women & kids fleeing abusive spouses. Security guards are in the lobby and do not mess around - no hotel key, no entry, end of story!

YWCA is walkable from the nearest Canada Line station or the pier - but with lots of bags you might feel more comfortable taking a cab (map here with SkyTrain, Hotel, Pier). Nearest HOHO stop is the central library, Robson & Homer, only a couple of blocks away. Buses run within a block and the older Expo/Millennium SkyTrain line has a station just 2 blocks away in case you're heading anywhere east of downtown on public transit.

Over a year out I don't think they'll take bookings - try in May this year once you drop under a year away.