First time cruising - Danube Cruise with Croisi

xiki66

Hello to all as I am new on Cruise Critic forum. My wife and I are booked for a 12 day cruise on the Danube aboard the Vivaldi with Croisi. This is our first ever cruise as my wife was always afraid of sea sickness. I did not find a lot of reviews regarding Croisi, the Vivaldi or Danube cruises in general. I would like to read any experiences you may have had with Croisi and especially if you have done the Danube Cruise. Any other tips or comments are most welcome.

I am reposting here as advised. Thank you all in advance

Welcome to Cruise Criti and welcome to river cruising. I have done a dozen river cruises, including 4 on the Danube, but none with Croisi. Until fairly recently Croisi was (I think) entirely French speaking, but is now marketing in the US and elsewhere. There are reviews at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=175

Thom

On river cruises in general you don't feel any motion onboard at all. I would be more concerned about getting sick on the tour buses doing windy routes than on a river cruise ship. The best thing I've found for most seasickness is Bonine (Meclazine is the drug name). This is widely available over the counter in most drugstores in the US. Take it once a day, in the morning. I have not experienced any side effects from Bonine. For really high seas, we use Trans Derm Scops which is a patch you get by prescription from your doctor. You wear the patch behind your ear for 3 days or as needed. I have used that on Alaska cruises for the ride up to Alaska (not needed once you are up there) and also on a day of terrible high seas in the Bay of Biscaye (going from Southampton to the Med.)

But, for a river cruise, your wife could bring along Bonine and probably will never need to take it - unless she needs it for the tour bus rides. Should she start to become motion sick, have your wife lie down and put either an ice pack or a very cold can or bottle of some kind of drink on the front of her neck. This will almost instantly stop the feeling of needing to vomit. She can then take anti seasickness medicine and keep it down long enough for it to start to work - 15 - 20 minutes by replacing the ice (or can or bottle) on the front of her neck so that the symptoms continue to subside. If your wife is really concerned, then there is a drug call Ondansetron - brand name Zofran which is a tiny mint flavored tablet that dissolves on your tongue. This drug works very, fast to resolve nausea. Ask your doctor for a prescription to take with you on your trip.

If you want to try more cruising after this, besides river cruises, the cruises in the Caribbean are generally very calm during non-hurricane season months. Again, your wife should bring along Bonine but may find she never needs it.

I've never experienced motion sickness with river cruising, if your wife feels anxious, just take some travel sickness tablets tucked away to set her mind at rest.

I have done many river cruises, but not with Croisi. I am booked with them for France next month, and simply judging them against the other lines I use it will be much more basic, no fridge in the cabin, limited meal choices (at least in France) etc. It was also considerably cheaper than my regular lines, so I was sort of expecting it. There is no laundry, no gym, no salon or massage therapist, that sort of thing.

I am looking forward to their slightly different French itinerary and travelling with them. I hope you both enjoy your cruise too!

I've never experienced motion sickness with river cruising, if your wife feels anxious, just take some travel sickness tablets tucked away to set her mind at rest.

I have done many river cruises, but not with Croisi. I am booked with them for France next month, and simply judging them against the other lines I use it will be much more basic, no fridge in the cabin, limited meal choices (at least in France) etc. It was also considerably cheaper than my regular lines, so I was sort of expecting it. There is no laundry, no gym, no salon or massage therapist, that sort of thing...

My analysis without having traveled with Croisi virtually matches yours, and seems like trade-offs that would be acceptable to me. I'm starting to read up on Croisi and hope that you and xiki66 come back and report on your experiences.

I have a pretty steady stomach, but do notice some mild discomfort on occasion (eg someone driving too fast on curvy roads, or a stormy day at sea). I have NEVER even thought of motion sickness on a river boat.

Xiki,

Glad you found your way over here and are getting info from other posters. I never even had the sensation of moving when I cruised the Danube, but everyone is different.

Roz

Since the Danube is very likely the most popular river cruising choice, there are actually lots of reviews and threads on the itinerary. The challenge will be finding them on your chosen line and vessel as they are very new to the North American market.

Croisi is well known in Europe for their breadth of itineraries and value for cost. We were able to go aboard one of their 4 anchor (their internal rating system for the vessels in their fleet) on the Rhone last year. It is one of their most modern river boats. We found it to be very clean, well maintained, open and light in terms of decor, and comfortable.

While IMO Croisi would not appeal to upscale or luxury travelers (I include myself in this group) they certainly do offer a wealth of options at very good prices.

I look forward to your thoughts when you return.

As to motion, we have been on 11 river cruises and the most motion was when we bounced up against the walls of particularly narrow locks. This lasted seconds and was inconsequential.

Have a wonderful trip!

xiki66 if you use the search feature on cc you will find a few notes I have posted about croisiEurope. I have never had any problems with them. I do like the multi national aspect of their ships.
Do you speak French? I have survived self-drive trips in France, but am next to hopeless in speaking French (but do know to say "bon jour" when entering a shop:)). I'm sure that it would be best if I spoke fluent French, but I'm interested in comments on how well non-Francophones do aboard Crosi. MERCI:p

Thom

Thank you all for your advice and comments. Squarevanman, I did not manage to find your review. We are not upscale travellers and our choice of Croisi was based on value for money and their Danube itinerary. We come from Malta. My French is simply non existent but my wife can communicate although she has not practiced the language for a long time. Any other tips, advice or general comments are most welcome.

My French is schoolboy french and I left school 49 years ago so it is very rusty. On my 4 trips so far the smallest English speaking group was last year on the Venice Lagoon with 8 of us on board. We did out number the Spanish speakers though. In Portugal the year before the Engish speakers outnumbered the French speakers. The main language is of course French with English being the second language on board. I have not noticed or experienced any problems by not being fluent in French. The only problem I could forsee is being a solo traveller I could easily be the only English speaker on board. To overcome this I check on dates where British tour operators send groups on the cruise and book the same dates. The only activity I have ever seen taking place in French only is the kids club for the young travellers on certain departures.

Thank you again Squarevanman. Two questions please. What is the dress code for the cocktail reception and gala dinner? What is the age (in general) of river cruisers? Any additional information and comments are most welcome.

Thank you again Squarevanman. Two questions please. What is the dress code for the cocktail reception and gala dinner? What is the age (in general) of river cruisers? Any additional information and comments are most welcome.
Squarevanman will be able to answer far better than I about Crosi, but since you phrased these questions generically:

River Cruisers are largely in their 50s and 60s, often younger retirees. This group tends to have the combination of time and money to take a slow boat ride (a term I am using with affection). River boats by their construction are not particularly friendly for people with mobility issues (scooters are pretty much out of the question). Many younger people want more "action" (nightlife, sports activities, etc) than are present on river boats. I have seen teens interested in history and culture enjoying river cruises, but I have also seen teens bored out of their minds with no one to hang out with. I have also seen people in good shape at 90 enjoying river boats.

I'm sure dress varies between lines, but for the most part neat casual but not a fashion show. Typical dinner dress for men would be khakis with a collared shirt. Captain's dinner will get SOME sport coats (blazers), SOME ties, a few suits, and many in khakis and shirt.

General comment: take at least one good pair of walking shoes!

Thom

Good morning,

We have been on 2 Croisi trips as part of the group Road Scholar. Honestly do not know if non US citizens can be part of the group. Our trips were out of Bordeaux and on the Guadeliever (?sp.) in Spain. On both trips there was a wonderful international mix of passengers. On the second trip Croisi was trying to become more like the other lines catering to English speaking passengers. Also is more inclusive than on our first trip. Beverages at any time of day were included. My favorite drink was a Cava from Spain--better than some French "sparkling wines".

Dress code was typical river cruise casual. No shorts at lunch or dinner. In our group there was one gentleman who worn a sport jacket at the farewell dinner because he needed it for a restaurant they had gone to just before joining us on the boat. Most of the ladies worn nice dresses or slacks with a dressier top.

On our first trip the crew spoke passable English--think we were their language professors. This was a brand new boat and a brand new itinerary the year we went. The trip in Spain was just the opposite--English was very good.

We hope to take another Road Scholar trip on the Loire this fall. Happy to answer any more questions. Pat

Dress code was very informal on CroisiEurope even for reception and gala. Ladies ranged fom long evening dresses to short dresses or even designer jeans with a dress over them. Men very rarely wore ties (often I was in the minority) and even less wore jackets. On my Douro cruise the one U.S man on board wore shorts to evey dinner including the gala and no one to my knowledge batted an eyelid.

Age group is difficult as it depends on the nationalities on board. Being French it seems families holiday together. I have seen upto 4 generations ranging from 1 year old upto great grandmother in her 90's. As far as English speaking passengers go the youngest I met was 12 and the oldest 94. CroisiEurope passengers in the main seem to be late 30's to mid 60's. However on the Venice Lagoon last year there was a very large group of Belgians in there 60's and 70's. Therefore it is very difficult to generalise.

Thank you Thom, Pacmom and Squarevanman. Your feedback has been very reassuring and valid. Next question please!! Should I book all excursions or is it more fun to do it on your own. We usually plan our own holidays from A to Z. This time I was tempted to book the excursion package and just go where they take me. What are your ideas please? Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

Four of us were on a Croisi cruise, the Beethoven from Strausbourg to Vienna. There were 156 on board, 6 from USA. Over 100 were French, the remainder were UK and Australia.

I liked the itinerary and drinks being included. I did not like the limited menu and uncomfortable, narrow beds. The main crew members spoke French and English, some waiters did not speak English.

Thank you Thom, Pacmom and Squarevanman. Your feedback has been very reassuring and valid. Next question please!! Should I book all excursions or is it more fun to do it on your own. We usually plan our own holidays from A to Z. This time I was tempted to book the excursion package and just go where they take me. What are your ideas please? Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

In the past I have always taken the excursion package. I have found them pretty good value and informative. However this year for Paris and the Seine I have not booked anything. As the ship docks only 10 minute walk from the Eifel Tower and that is a pick up point for the hop on hop off tour I have decided to do that instead. Also as I have visited the Normandy beaches I may give that a miss as well.

• 8 months later...