Cancel For Any Reason Insurance by NCL

razor7_us

I am a Federal employee and with the Government shutdown myemployment status is listed as essential and all leaves would becancelled. Hard pill to swallow when youhave been waiting almost 400 days for this cruise (10 Day Caribbean on the Jadeout of Miami) and embarkation is this Friday. So, not yet in panic mode, I called NCL to inquire if my NCL purchasedtrip insurance would indeed cover me in the event I had to cancel. The NCL rep stated that it “sounded like Ihad a good reason” and didn’t see any problems. She recommended that I call AON Affinity and spoke with a representativewho informed me that I would not be covered in the event the Government did notopen back up and allow me to take leave. I inquired as to the Cancel for Any Reason banner and was told thatapplied to the "covered reasons" outlined in the policy itself.

My question to those that know. Is there a recommended travel insurance sitethat is indeed a cancel for any reason and can anyone share interactions,positive or negative. It is better or on par with the policy that NCLsells. Thanks in advance for any and allinput

Thankfully, the Government shutdown ended and it is businessas usual for at least the next 3 weeks, but I will be back at home by then.

When it comes to cruise line travel insurance you have to remember that you get what you pay for; secondary insurance that usually requires that you file a claim with your homeowners insurer and your credit card company before they will even consider your claim.

That being said I have always bought AIG travel insurance that has gotten a bum rap by some reviewers.

We had a claim and followed all of the instructions. It took some time to fill out all of the forms but we received a check within two weeks even though we were told not to even call to check on our claim for at least six weeks.

I believe that those with bad experiences may not have followed all of the instructions and expected someone else to do all of the leg work.

Good luck.

Is 'cancel for any reason' truly any reason?

...such as "I paid $2000pp at final payment and now the room is on for $900pp and I'd like to rebook at the lowr rate (or book the subsequent week)"?

Travel insurance is generally a poor deal for the consumer but if a person could do this, it might level the playing field.

Is 'cancel for any reason' truly any reason?

...such as "I paid $2000pp at final payment and now the room is on for $900pp and I'd like to rebook at the lowr rate (or book the subsequent week)"?

Travel insurance is generally a poor deal for the consumer but if a person could do this, it might level the playing field.

Yep, any reason.

Just remember you're not getting a refund, but rather a future cruise credit (75% or 90%) that can only be used with NCL. I don't know if the credit can be transferred like CruiseNext certificates or not.

Cancel for any reason policies tend to be more expensive, and like NCL’s version don’t usually refund the full fare. But the difference with an outside company is you would get a refund as opposed to a future cruise credit for the amount.

In your situation though, not sure you would have needed a cancel for any reason policy. There are 3rd party policies that allow you to include cancel for ‘work reasons’ that would be a 100% refund with a lesser cost than ‘cancel for any reason’.

On a personal note, it’s terrible that they can jerk you guys around like that. I’m a city employee and while there’s a provision that they can revoke vacation time if the city is in a ‘state of emergency’; that’s only happened once in the city’s history as far as I know. Luckily a ‘government shutdown’ isn’t available locally. Once in the 10 years I’ve been there we came to a budget deadline without one being approved and in that situation, the budget proposed by the city manage automatically goes into force (which that year involved significant layoffs). With how often this happens federally, I’d be afraid to schedule anything over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums