freestyle dining on carnival

uncleboo

hi going on carnival next week.

do i need a reservation to go to freestyle or do i just show up when i am ready to eat

please advise asap thank you sooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Freestyle dining is a term used on NCL..Carnival calls it "Your time dining". If you chose that when you booked your cruise and your cruise docs show you have YTD, then you don't need a reservation. Show up when you want. There may be a short wait, (occassionally on formal night). If so, they will give you a pager. It has only happened to us once, and we have done YTD on about 7 cruises.

on carnival they have traditional dning with assigned tables for the entire cruise and you have two different times early 6:15 and late 8:15, and then you have any time dining which is anytime between 6:15 and 9:15 I think. You have to choose at booking. You can't switch btween traditional and atd. Your dining time will be on your sign and sail card.

It is best to reserve it before you cruise, I just switched to it last week from an assigned dining time. Its not a problem to switch as long as they have the space. I would call and see if you can switch, else try once you get on board.

Enjoy your cruise

do i need a reservation to go to freestyle or do i just show up when i am ready to eat

When you booked your cruise you selected your dining time. It will be noted on your ship card. if you have free style or anytime dining as it is called on carnival it will be noted. If you don't have it then your assigned dining time is noted on your card along with your table number.

You have to use the dining method that was selected, but if you have freestyle then by all means just show up at the designated dining room whenever you want to have dinner.

freestyle to me is wasted restaurant space to get want you want to eat at different locations, as opposed to just ordering what you want off a larger, revolving menu.

you will have to already be assigned to any time dining to partake on carnival, and then, yes, you can make a reservation, or just show up when you're ready.

We just got off of the Victory and had anytime dining. Every night we got a booth for two, the same wait staff, and never waited more than 30 seconds to be seated.

WAY better than our last cruise...20 years ago, when we were seated at a table for four with the most obnoxious man I have ever met and they couldn't move us. We had requested a table for two or eight at the time.

We really enjoyed this cruise :)

What happens if you asked for Your Time Dining when booking and you're waitlisted? When do they resolve this?

We waitlisted your time dining when we booked our cruise in mid March for the Dream next month. Having never booked last minute like, this we didn't expect it to get resolved, and to be in assigned dining. However, we got the email confirmation last week that Carnival was able to grant out request and Your Time dining now appears as "confirmed" on our cruise manager. You will get an email if they are able to accommodate you. I honestly think it depends on how many cancellations or changes they get.

Good Luck!

We waitlisted your time dining when we booked our cruise in mid March for the Dream next month. Having never booked last minute like, this we didn't expect it to get resolved, and to be in assigned dining. However, we got the email confirmation last week that Carnival was able to grant out request and Your Time dining now appears as "confirmed" on our cruise manager. You will get an email if they are able to accommodate you. I honestly think it depends on how many cancellations or changes they get.

Good Luck!

OK, thanks. I'm not too worried either way, so long as they let me in the dinning room at some point!

I seem to remember that my PVP said all dinner options were waitlisted, so probably this has to do with the Magic being a new ship?

What happens if you asked for Your Time Dining when booking and you're waitlisted? When do they resolve this?

You don't resolve it - if there is space that becomes available then they go to the waitlist, you can't go to the Maitre d like you do if you want to change table size or dining time - you can certainly check with them and something may come up but it goes to the next person on the waitlist

freestyle to me is wasted restaurant space to get want you want to eat at different locations, as opposed to just ordering what you want off a larger, revolving menu.

you will have to already be assigned to any time dining to partake on carnival, and then, yes, you can make a reservation, or just show up when you're ready.

Anytime dining is in the regular dining room (on the outside of the lower level Chic on the Freedom) not at a different location and the menu is exactly the same - no bigger no smaller.

yes. please reread my post slowly.

It might simply be that said poster has never cruised on NCL too so they didn't get your poSt :)

Edited by gemsm
I hate autocorrect

They ask you at the time of booking what dining time you prefer--Early, Late, or Anytime. If you call soon, you might get changed from whatever you chose to Anytime. If you already have ATD, you just show up at the designated place whenever you want to eat, between the designated hours.

yes. please reread my post slowly.

Okay - so I read it slowllllly and I am sorry but where did I go wrong. You still cannot make reservations at ATY on any cruise I have been on and the menu is the same in both and this is Carnival site so I had no idea that you were referring to NCL - I did not see it anywhere in your post. I apologize if I misquoted but what the heck - not a big deal in the scheme of things.

• 3 years later...

I love when I find the answer to my questions in posts from several years ago! :) Such a wealth of information on this site! I'm desperately needing to book another cruise, and we just moved to Florida so I have so many options! But it's looking like Carnival might have the best deals, with itineraries that tickle my fancy! Might be taking my first Carnival Cruise this year!