Nationwide Cruise Insurance?

niklynn1

Has anyone used Nationwide Cruise Insurance (Choice option specifically)?

In the past, I've used Travel Guard Gold several times, but in comparing options on Insure My Cruise this time, the Nationwide option showed up, which I've never seen before.

It is significantly less expensive, with seemingly similar coverage, and it some cases better even than Travel Guard Gold.

However, I've never used it or even heard of it, so would like some feedback before I purchase.

Thanks!

I bought the Nationwide coverage for our Oct 14 cruise I am going to purchase Nationwide Choice Cruise plan for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I have no travel claim experience with Nationwide but I have had Nationwide Home and Auto insurance for 40 years ! All my claim experiences have been handled very satisfactorily !

I'm thinking the Nationwide cruise insurance must be relatively new, since I can't find anyone with actual experience?

I ,too, have Nationwide for my home and car and have been extremely pleased with them for a number of years, which is why I am leaning toward purchasing this cruise insurance as well.

I just bought this one also - was interesting that this is the only time I've ever seen coverage if they change your itinerary? Will be interesting to see how they are if (God forbid) need to file a claim!

ITINERARY CHANGE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the

Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – INCONVENIENCE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum NSHTC 2500 NW Cruise – Choice – Ed. 12/1/14

Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that

affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or

5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always purchased travel insurance for my cruises...only had to use it once, when my father got sick and I was fully reimbursed for my lost fare. Now I found cruise insurance, so am buying this rather than travel insurance. The cruise insurance has some cruise specific coverage that I like...such as itinerary change and coverage for returning home. The bottom line is, you have to buy what you feel comfortable with and understand its there to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I rarely use companies like Insure My Trip and others. I have found the few companies we like and just do quotes through them. For now we are stuck on Travel Safe since they offer Primary vs Secondary medical coverage. While i have not had a medical claim on travel insurance. I would expect primary coverage to be less hassle than secondary, which most plans seem to offer.

Nationwide may be a good option if one doesn't want to buy insurance at initial trip payment and can still get pre-existing coverage if they buy the coverage prior to final payment.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I rarely use companies like Insure My Trip and others. I have found the few companies we like and just do quotes through them. For now we are stuck on Travel Safe since they offer Primary vs Secondary medical coverage. While i have not had a medical claim on travel insurance. I would expect primary coverage to be less hassle than secondary, which most plans seem to offer.

Nationwide may be a good option if one doesn't want to buy insurance at initial trip payment and can still get pre-existing coverage if they buy the coverage prior to final payment.

Nothing wrong with Travel Safe! Having something is better than nothing... I think you might want to reevaluate your thought on Primary v secondary insurance and coverage that expires once the trip is over on your future cruises.

I actually think secondary is better... If you read about this on Steve's site then you'll understand why I am saying this.

My policy, Global Alert covers me for up to a year after an issue rather than when the ship returns to port.... It also is secondary so what my own insurance does not cover it covers...

~Steve

Nothing wrong with Travel Safe! Having something is better than nothing... I think you might want to reevaluate your thought on Primary v secondary insurance and coverage that expires once the trip is over on your future cruises.

I actually think secondary is better... If you read about this on Steve's site then you'll understand why I am saying this.

My policy, Global Alert covers me for up to a year after an issue rather than when the ship returns to port.... It also is secondary so what my own insurance does not cover it covers...

~Steve

I read the information on Steve's site. It does seem that secondary insurance will provide more coverage if you have other primary insurance. Secondary becomes primary in the event there is no primary. Though it seems you have to somehow prove that first. With secondary medical on travel insurance you would need to claim through your other insurance first. It seems the only drawback to secondary is the additional administrative work, and delays, to file a claim with primary first.

I was not aware that some insurance provides coverage for up to a year after travel. Is this something unique to only certain insurance companies, or any secondary coverage?

I read the information on Steve's site. It does seem that secondary insurance will provide more coverage if you have other primary insurance. Secondary becomes primary in the event there is no primary. Though it seems you have to somehow prove that first. With secondary medical on travel insurance you would need to claim through your other insurance first. It seems the only drawback to secondary is the additional administrative work, and delays, to file a claim with primary first.

I was not aware that some insurance provides coverage for up to a year after travel. Is this something unique to only certain insurance companies, or any secondary coverage?

The short answer is yes- unique to only certain companies. I prefer the secondary coverage and overages that extend for a year after. I believe that once you understand the differences--- not just that primary covers first and secondary covers after, then you will realize that secondary is simply a better choice but may require a bit more leg work.

The most important factor though is not just reading the coverage's but speaking with someone like Steve who can explain the coverage's. Each policy caters to your particular needs or requirements. So while I may like Global Alert, another cruise might be better suited for Travelex. Having someone like Steve walk you through it ultimately is the best approach. Should you ever have a claim then having someone to actually guide you through the claims process will prove invaluable should you have questions or frustration.

Here is to you never having to use it!

~Steve

• 1 month later...

So has anyone had any actual experience with this policy? The problem with the reviews at InsureMyTrip is that they're generally useless since most of them say "I didn't have to use it" and give it 5 stars. Is there anything obvious missing from it that Travelguard Gold has that I would need for a cruise? We've sailing to Bermuda in August, and we're driving to the port, so I don't need most of the protections you'd normally need when flying to the cruise. Last year I purchased TruTravel Super Saver from IMT; I don't even see it on their website now. And strangely, it didn't show me Travelguard Gold. I do like the payment if they change your itinerary before you leave, since it isn't unheard of for Bermuda cruises to get rerouted to Canada due to hurricanes (although I do hope not to have to use it!).

I did see a negative review for the Nationwide Universal Cruise policy (the low end one). Someone missed their cruise because of mechanical problems on a plane and because it was only a 3 day cruise they could not reconnect with it. The policy did not cover the missed cruise. IMT's reply to the comment: "Unfortunately, the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Cruise plans do not cover mechanical breakdown for trip cancellation or missed connection."

Now, in my case this is not an issue since I'm not flying to the cruise, but it does show how you need to be careful buying policies.

• 2 weeks later...

I had purchased the Nationwide Cruise coverage, but after seeing this thread topic, I called and talked to Nationwide, and yes they will not cover anything related to mechanical breakdown related flight delay or cancellation, so no coverage at all for you to be able to catch up to ship if you miss it or to cancel cruise if you miss ship and no way to catch up. Cancelled policy and repurchased one that does cover flight mechanical delay/cancellation, only two companies that do apparently are CSA and Travelsafe

I had purchased the Nationwide Cruise coverage, but after seeing this thread topic, I called and talked to Nationwide, and yes they will not cover anything related to mechanical breakdown related flight delay or cancellation, so no coverage at all for you to be able to catch up to ship if you miss it or to cancel cruise if you miss ship and no way to catch up.

Yeah, it only seems to be a good policy if you can drive to the port (which I can).

• 4 weeks later...

I have looked at Nationwide several times on Insuremytrip and only see (must purchase within 14 days of initial payment).

I will be very happy if I can still get pre-existing coverage.

I have looked at Nationwide several times on Insuremytrip and only see (must purchase within 14 days of initial payment).

The Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver and Financial Default are not available to travelers over 70

Nationwide has a a Cruise plan and single trip plans. I believe the single trip plans require purchase within 14 days of initial payment the cruise plan requires purchase prior to final payment in order to cover pre-existing conditions.

Nationwide has a a Cruise plan and single trip plans. I believe the single trip plans require purchase within 14 days of initial payment the cruise plan requires purchase prior to final payment in order to cover pre-existing conditions.

I will check out the Cruise plan.:)

:)I found (Cruise Plan) and purchased!!!!

• 8 months later...

We bought Nationwide from Insuremytrip prior to our last scheduled cruise which had to be cancelled the day before departure due to a sudden illness. I am in the process of filling out and submitting paperwork so I will let ya'll know how they handle the process. We did have pre-existing waiver although this illness shouldn't count as such. I will say the paperwork is pretty straightforward and less intensive than AIG which a traveling companion has.

We bought Nationwide from Insuremytrip prior to our last scheduled cruise which had to be cancelled the day before departure due to a sudden illness. I am in the process of filling out and submitting paperwork so I will let ya'll know how they handle the process.

Thanks for posting, I am looking forward to hearing how things go. The reviews on IMT are pretty useless since (when I last checked) everyone was just writing about the purchase process. BTW, with Royal Caribbean getting more cautious about sending ships into bad weather as a result of the Anthem incident, the cancelled/changed port coverage in this policy becomes more valuable (and relevant). I wonder if anyone used them for the later cruise that they sent on a different itinerary?

I just bought travel insurance through Nationwide and went through the policy closely. It says, at least on my policy "You cancel Your Trip two (2) days or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date."

It was one of the few insurance companies that lets you buy Cancel Anytime insurance after the 14 days of your initial deposit. They also have a feature that pays you $1,250 per person if the cruise cancels a port of call before the cruise.

I just bought travel insurance through Nationwide and went through the policy closely. It says, at least on my policy "You cancel Your Trip two (2) days or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date."

It was one of the few insurance companies that lets you buy Cancel Anytime insurance after the 14 days of your initial deposit. They also have a feature that pays you $1,250 per person if the cruise cancels a port of call before the cruise.

I double checked my policy and it does state :

"A Physician must advise cancellation of the Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date". I know all are different.

I double checked my policy and it does state :

"A Physician must advise cancellation of the Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date". I know all are different.

That's not the typical CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason) coverage.

The at least 48 hours in advance is typical for the real CFAR coverage, which is usually optional.

Are you referring to regular cancellation coverage?

(Some of the cruiseline insurance policies seem to have something like this, such that the supposed "Any Reason" isn't really...

... and there have been some complaints here about that.)