Balcony Cabin advice

jaxonboy

Planning a cruise on the Nieu Statendam. Any advice on the best deck and area for this class ship? Just a regular Vista cabin, not a suite. We spend most of our days on Amsterdam, but looking at trying this new class.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

This might depend on where you are going, how many at-sea days, and what you like to do onboard. She is a lovely ship. We always like the deck closest to the Lido deck for easy access, in the aft of a ship.

I don't know if Nieuw Statendam will have the exact layout of the Koningsdam, but it appeared on the K. that the cabins with an "obstructed" view (not really very obstructed in my opinion) - in the areas of the indents over the lifeboats, had the seating area closer to the balcony, and the ones that were projecting out had the seating area closer to the door. I liked the first (which is what we had), but others said they preferred the bed closer to the verandah, as the waiters could put their room service meals on the table without having to push past the bed.

Enjoy your cruise. We are very tempted to try her out, too!

We are traveling on Nieuw Statendam in 2019. We chose a Verandah cabin with an oversized balcony on deck 7 (these can be spotted on the NS deck plans). We are traveling with friends who chose a Vista cabin. They are affected a bit by motion so the TA suggested deck 5 for them mid-ship. She said if it weren't for that she would suggest deck 6 or 7. She said deck 8 could be noisy with Lido and pool above but other reports I've read say that the noise travels up, not down - not sure on this.

I carefully looked at the deck plans before choosing a cabin to be sure that I did not get a connecting room. The TA also suggested a starboard side for our itinerary but again, not sure her info is correct. The experiences cruisers on the forum (which I'm not!) tend to have way more accurate info than many TAs.