Passport/Passport Card Question

IrishLassie

My son is bringing his girlfriend on a cruise & she has the "passport card" (not sure if that's what they call it). Does she need any other ID? It's a E. Carib. cruise, in & out of the same port.

The passport card is fine if your cruise begins and ends in U.S. port.

Jonathan

Here's the Dept of State comparison of the Passport card with the Passport book.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

For a Carribbean or Mexican Cruise leaving from and returning to a US port, it is adequate. If there was an emergency and one needed to fly home from the Carribbean, the passport book is normally needed so with a passpoy card there would be extra hoops to jump through.

It also should be fine for a Canadian cruise - though if the cruise starts or ends at a Canadian port, you would either need to get to/from that port by land or sea - e.g. if it was Vancouver, train, bus, car or ferry from Seattle.

I used my passport card when boarding my ship in Vancouver. (I have both the card & the book and it was my first chance to use the card.) The ship staff person at check-in was confused by it, but checked and then accepted it. It's apparently not commonly used there at least on Crystal.

I also used it to cross the border for the bus/train excursion in the Yukon.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Yes, the passport card will be sufficient unless you are cruising on an upscale line. Should something happen at least her information is already in the State Department database which will make it easier for them to assist her.