Viking star- repositioning Cruise.

jucaha

has anyone sailed Viking Star on their repositioning cruise....New York to Bermuda and into the Carribean ....in October? I’m concerned about the weather (hurricane season)....and 15 days with 5 sea days. Any guidance would be appreciated!!

has anyone sailed Viking Star on their repositioning cruise....New York to Bermuda and into the Carribean ....in October? I’m concerned about the weather (hurricane season)....and 15 days with 5 sea days. Any guidance would be appreciated!!

You can't predict weather and October is still hurricane active month though not is bad as September. It's up to you - do you want to risk it or not.

You can't predict weather and October is still hurricane active month though not is bad as September. It's up to you - do you want to risk it or not.

I agree...that is my concern. I live on the coast and know the unpredictable weather. I’m hoping to hear from some one who has done this trip. I have cruised from Philadelphia to Bermuda in early November...

Got for it. Get good travel insurance. We ended up missing a port last October, and also tacked on an extra day at the end because of a hurricane. Just be prepared for worst case and cover your bases.

We once cruised in September from NJ to Bermuda and it was very rough going on the way over; smooth sailing on the way back. We've also done transatlantics in the fall and hit good and bad weather. You really never know. One thing, however, is that the Captain will always steer the ship into the pathway of least resistance. If you do feel lucky and book the cruise you'd be wise to be prepared just in case--have seasick meds on hand. Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't give 5 sea days a second's though. There is so much to do on board you'll hardly have time to fit it all in. There are lectures, cooking demonstrations, a spa to be enjoyed, movies, etc. You won't be bored.

The annual hurricane season is winding down, but in the Atlantic Ocean, the weather is always unpredictable. The storms are tracked from inception and ships receive weather routing to ease their passage. Lots of ships remain in the Caribbean, with a very small percentage of sailings affected by storms.

After a few port days, you will look forward to 5 relaxing sea days

I generally don't like sea days, but I DID manage to survive 5 in a row on an 18 day cruise in the South Pacific on another line. It CAN be done! I really prefer being out in a port, but have to admit it wasn't hard to fill up sea days with activities and other stuff. Viking doesn't seem to have quite as many activities as some other lines do, but certainly on the 3 cruises I've taken on VO, I wasn't bored. There's quite good and totally free internet, so that was a plus for me. On a cruise ship I use the time to google, email, load and edit pictures, read a book, do activities, use a spa pool if it's free, do laundry if necessary, and learn about the next port of call - oh, and of course, eat!! The days pass quicker than I think they will.

Insurance is good, but if you miss a port of call due to weather, insurance seldom reimburses you anything, unless possibly if you made a deposit or payment on a non-ship's excursion and the vendor won't refund your money.

Edited by roothy123

We're booked on that sailing and have no weather concerns.

Have sailed from Bayonne to Caribbean a number of times in fall and winter and it's been our experience that while north Atlantic seas can at times be choppy, once you round Cape Hatteras and enter the gulf stream it's smooth sailing.

Hurricanes don't just pop up. Their tracks are known well ahead of time giving the captain ample opportunity to steer clear. By day 8 we'll be in the ABC islands which are outside the hurricane belt.

I personally love sea days, but if they're not for you maybe you'd be happier sailing from Florida or PR.

We're booked on that sailing and have no weather concerns.

Have sailed from Bayonne to Caribbean a number of times in fall and winter and it's been our experience that while north Atlantic seas can at times be choppy, once you round Cape Hatteras and enter the gulf stream it's smooth sailing.

Hurricanes don't just pop up. Their tracks are known well ahead of time giving the captain ample opportunity to steer clear. By day 8 we'll be in the ABC islands which are outside the hurricane belt.

I personally love sea days, but if they're not for you maybe you'd be happier sailing from Florida or PR.

Thank you for your response.

We are confirming our booking tomorrow! We are from south Jersey...i had to laugh at the Viking rep today...they tried to offer us air from Newark! I said..you clearly don’t know the area! We plan to take the train into NYC then Uber to cruise terminal. Perhaps we will meet at CC meet n greet! See you in October.