Please recommend tour company for Anan Creek Bear viewing in Ketchikan?

ttulipss

There is an Alaska Bear Adventure I can book through Costco (we booked our cruise through them and can just add this to our itinerary), but it says: "Depending on weather conditions the day of the tour, your pilot will either take you to Polk Inlet, located on Prince of Wales Island or Traitor's Cove on Revillagigiedo Island." Is this as good as Anan Creek Bear viewing?

Simple answer, Anan is superior.

My opinion, only, you are making a big mistake going with discount booking option. In the case of costly bear tours, you want to know where you are going and be certain you are peak. This isn't the place to look for bargains. The vendor likely being used is Taquan, I would suggest you book directly with them and to a location that is known.

When I visited Anan Creek I used Family Air. I have flown with Island Wings before also, but she had no openings for that day and I was recommended to familyairtours.com We had a wonderful time with Dave and would love to go back again.

I booked with Island Wings last April for this August. They contacted me in October to let me know that they got the permit. I would start calling right now because they're are limited numbers of permits per day.

I'm envious of your good fortune! I had no clue that their Anan Creek bear-viewing tours had to be booked so much in advance. I had contacted Island Wings in November, but they told me no Anan Creek tours were available for the day on which I'd be in Ketchikan this July, and that they were being booked up to 2 years in advance. I'm now booked for their regular Misty Fjords flightseeing tour, but I'm certainly still excited about that.

Have a great time on your bear tour!

I'm envious of your good fortune! I had no clue that their Anan Creek bear-viewing tours had to be booked so much in advance. I had contacted Island Wings in November, but they told me no Anan Creek tours were available for the day on which I'd be in Ketchikan this July, and that they were being booked up to 2 years in advance. I'm now booked for their regular Misty Fjords flightseeing tour, but I'm certainly still excited about that.

Did you try any other vendor? Anan is certainly more exciting than Misty. (and frankly, during peak times, not to be missed :) )

Did you try any other vendor? Anan is certainly more exciting than Misty. (and frankly, during peak times, not to be missed :) )

I only remember researching Family Air, but I never inquired with them about availability. I wasn't familiar with Southeast Aviation (whom you recommended above). Ultimately I really wanted to do a tour with Island Wings, even if it wasn't Anan Creek, having read so many great things about the company.

Our ship will only be in Ketchikan from 7am to 2pm, so I thought that might be a bit of a time crunch fitting in a bear tour anyway, since I'd also like to spend a little time just walking around town. So the flightseeing/landing tour will be just fine for this trip. This gives me a reason to look forward to planning an Anan Creek tour for another visit!

BTW, thank you for all the great advice that you provide!

I only remember researching Family Air, but I never inquired with them about availability. I wasn't familiar with Southeast Aviation (whom you recommended above). Ultimately I really wanted to do a tour with Island Wings, even if it wasn't Anan Creek, having read so many great things about the company.

Our ship will only be in Ketchikan from 7am to 2pm, so I thought that might be a bit of a time crunch fitting in a bear tour anyway, since I'd also like to spend a little time just walking around town. So the flightseeing/landing tour will be just fine for this trip. This gives me a reason to look forward to planning an Anan Creek tour for another visit!

BTW, thank you for all the great advice that you provide!

That's what happens when a company gets hyped on these message boards. Carlin Air, Family Air and Southeast Aviation all give a tour that is at exactly the same level of service & entertainmet that Island Wings is.

Your missing out if you just limit yourself to one vendor. The Anan bear viewing is that once in a life time experience. The thing I like about Dave Rocke at Family Air is that if time permits he'll fly you through the Misty's on the way back from Anan if you ask.

I really enjoyed Anan, and I have to say I really liked the tour guy that went with us - from Island Wings. That said, the path is well marked so I think worth going with or without a guide, using, as mentioned, Carlin Air (very nice to work with as also had some dealings with them), Family Air, etc. This is from gov site, and if lucky to get passes yourself, could then try to find someone to fly you there... I know I reached out to many vendors, hoping someone would be able to secure permits,,,

Requesting reservations for 2015 - On each day from July 5 through August 25, there are 20 passes available to the general public for early booking. Due to a historical high demand for early booking, these 20 passes will be distributed by lottery. Lottery Requests must be submitted by February 28, 2015 to be considered. The lottery will be open to the public, and conducted on March 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM at the Wrangell Ranger District Office. To submit requests, please send an email to anan@fs.fed.us include “lottery request” in the subject line, maximum group size of 4 individuals per request, independent contact information (mailing address, phone and/or email) must be provided for each individual. If individuals are requesting passes with the assistance of an authorized commercial guide, the name of the company must be included in the request. There are no fees for entering lottery requests. Confirmed reservations will require the payment of a $10/pass plus a $6 reservation fee per group. Payment information will be included with lottery result notification.

Thanks! I called as soon as I booked my cruise. Going to Anan was my top priority tour and I would have switched cruise dates if I wasn't able to get it. I would have booked Family Air because they had a buy three get the fourth free but he didn't have an armed guide that goes with you. I would have been okay without a guide but two of my party would be nervous wrecks about it.

Thanks! I called as soon as I booked my cruise. Going to Anan was my top priority tour and I would have switched cruise dates if I wasn't able to get it. I would have booked Family Air because they had a buy three get the fourth free but he didn't have an armed guide that goes with you. I would have been okay without a guide but two of my party would be nervous wrecks about it.

Thousands and thousands of people have taken this tour without an armed guide. Never in Anan's history has anyone been attacked or mauled because they didn't have a guide. Most of the guides that take this trip do it simply for the free trip to Anan and the "tips".

Edited by bearbait

Thousands and thousands of people have taken this tour without an armed guide. Never in Anan's history has anyone been attacked or mauled because they didn't have a guide. Most of the guides that take this trip do it simply for the free trip to Anan and the "tips".

Yeah, I researched bear attacks too, LOL! I know it, you know it but my fellow travelers were not as confident. Just trying to keep everyone happy.:rolleyes:

I called Island Wings today for the Anan Creek excursion. Our cruise is July 10th, will be in Ketchikan on the 12th (this year). They are booked. I'm looking for another recommended vendor, but have a feeling we might be too late. Good luck.

I called Island Wings today for the Anan Creek excursion. Our cruise is July 10th, will be in Ketchikan on the 12th (this year). They are booked. I'm looking for another recommended vendor, but have a feeling we might be too late. Good luck.

Call all of the air taxi operators in Ketchikan. Taquan, Family Air, Carlin Air or Southeast Aviation. They all fly the same route to get to Anan. Since it's basically a charter flight you'll get good commentary from all of them on the trip up and back. I don't know where people get this idea but Island Wings isn't any better then any of the other operators for flightseeing trips out of Ketchikan.

Call all of the air taxi operators in Ketchikan. Taquan, Family Air, Carlin Air or Southeast Aviation. They all fly the same route to get to Anan. Since it's basically a charter flight you'll get good commentary from all of them on the trip up and back. I don't know where people get this idea but Island Wings isn't any better then any of the other operators for flightseeing trips out of Ketchikan.

Thanks for the info Bearbait. Much appreciated.

Another question. Are the mosquitos bad in Ketchikan or Anan? It would be mid July when we are there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Ketchikan on Aug 2, 2015. Island Wings is full for Anan & is checking availability for Traitors Cove. Would that be worth going to? I know it is only black bear which is disappointing for my husband who has seen bear before. I'm checking with other vendors to see if they have availability for Anan, which I would prefer. However, there would not be a guide. I'm a bit nervous about that. Also, Island Wings' trip to Anan is 5.5 hours while all the rest are 4-4.5. Thoughts on location, guide & time allotted??? Thx!!

I will be in Ketchikan on Sun, Aug 2, 2015. Island Wings is already full for Anan & is checking into availability for Traitor's Cove. That would be a bit disappointing for my husband who has seen plenty of black bears. I'm checking with other vendors for Anan. Island Wings' trip to Anan is 5.5 hours and all the other vendors are 4-4.5 hours. Also, they are Unguided. I'm a bit nervous about that. Thoughts on location, time difference & not having a guide? Thanks!!

You do not need any "guide" at Anan. There are stationed staff there. Anan is likely to also be black bears, as browns aren't common.

Either tour, I highly recommend Southeast Aviation, perhaps see what they may have available for your particular day?