Why no beach discussion?

js

Hi. I am sure I am missing something, perhaps it has to do with American Visas? Not sure.

I was thinking about booking a May Cuba trip to visit beaches in Cuba but in looking last night on CC

it doesn't seem that there is much, if any, talk about beach days. Can you please let me know why.

Thank you so much.

Hi. I am sure I am missing something, perhaps it has to do with American Visas? Not sure.

I was thinking about booking a May Cuba trip to visit beaches in Cuba but in looking last night on CC

it doesn't seem that there is much, if any, talk about beach days. Can you please let me know why.

Thank you so much.

Most likely because tours are not offered to go to the beach, because they would not qualify for people to people. Next, people do not go to Havana to see a beach. Why would anyone pay a "premium price" for a cruise to Havana just to go to a beach, when you have so many other islands to go to with beautiful beaches at a much lower price? Lastly, someone asked this on my cruise, and the answer given was that the beach is just a beach, with no facilities. They don't have bathrooms, umbrellas, people walking around selling you a drink, chairs, and water toys. They are just a beach and you can take a taxi to it. But remember, to go to the beach, you just paid a $75.00 fee for the visa, and a taxi ride.

Most likely because tours are not offered to go to the beach, because they would not qualify for people to people. Next, people do not go to Havana to see a beach. Why would anyone pay a "premium price" for a cruise to Havana just to go to a beach, when you have so many other islands to go to with beautiful beaches at a much lower price? Lastly, someone asked this on my cruise, and the answer given was that the beach is just a beach, with no facilities. They don't have bathrooms, umbrellas, people walking around selling you a drink, chairs, and water toys. They are just a beach and you can take a taxi to it. But remember, to go to the beach, you just paid a $75.00 fee for the visa, and a taxi ride.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Havana in the mid to late 80s with the US Interest Section. the water around Havana was not clean and the local beaches, are on the outskirts and most are rocky. Varadero the gorgeous beach resort is a couple hours away.

With that said, Americans would not qualify for a day on the beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't see them, but apparently one of the Habana Bus (hop on hop off bus) routes DOES go to the beaches on the outskirts of Havana.

Good luck getting on the bus. Our guide told us it's nearly impossible to get on a bus because so few have cars. People will share taxis easier than a bus

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Cuba as an extension of my Caribbean cruise (I stayed at an AirBnB for 10 days). I was at the beach on Wednesday... dead easy. You go to the place where the Hop On Hop Off bus leaves and get on the T3 bus for the beaches. You pay 5CUC and its about 20 minutes to the Santa Maria stop, where I got off. The beach is fine white sand and the water was very clear. There were umbrellas and chairs free to use on the beach and the local restaurant sold beer, soda, and water and would bring down a table and serve you food. I had the fresh fish dinner for 10CU which When I was ready to leave, I walked back up to the bus stop and got on the bus back to Havana.

• 2 months later...

Example 3 to 31 CFR § 515.574:

An individual plans to travel to Cuba, rent a bicycle to explore the neighborhoods and beaches, and engage in brief exchanges with local beach vendors. The individual intends to stay at a hotel that does not appear on the Cuba Restricted List (see § 515.209). The traveler's trip does not qualify for this general license because none of these activities promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba.