Protecting my head from the sun

I'm not sure if this is the right board to ask this but I'll give it a shot anyway. In the past whenever I spend a lot of time in the sun I end up burning my scalp. Besides wearing a hat, is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening? I really don't want to be wearing a hat every time I'm outside.

Gee I think a light weight hat is your best option short of using a sweet little parasol. They do make shampoos with sunscreen but I have no knowledge re. their reliability. Just google it..there are a ton of brands out there!:cool:

I have actually put sunblock on my scalp. lol. But you may want to try that beforehand and see how your hair does with the shampoo afterwards... greasy or not.

Also, I bought a hat from academy sports that has a brim and sunblock infused in the fabric.

I don't know if http://www.medispastore.com has any sunscreen shampoo or spray in conditioner, but you might try there. They have a 20% off coupon that ends today code: glow20 I love Dermalogica products; they have a solar line and a body line... dont' remember about shampoo though...

I use the spray sunblock on my scalp. Especially on the part...nothing worse than getting in the shower to wash your hair and feeling that burning sensation.

I do this too, I use the sport kind too. They are sweat/waterproof. If I am going to be in the water a lot, bullfrog is good. I have resorted to putting the gell kind in my part before when I did not have spray. Make sure you reapply and use at least a 30. For this reason the spray on kind is easiest.

There are sprays on the market just for your scalp, my daughter is fair with red hair and we had used it for her. It has an SPF of 30, it is called Scalp Screen by Sun & Splash. Good luck, oh ya I bought ours at Wal-Mart.

I googled sunscreen for the scalp and got this:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=151153&catid=92105&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=92105&trxp2=151153&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

and this:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=87927&catid=12101&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=12101&trxp2=87927&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

Ask your hairstylist as well, there are some shampoos and conditioners available that protect the hair from sun damage. When I go into the sun I wear a visor, so my hair and scalp are just out there for the damage to occur. I wet my hair down, apply a thick layer of deep conditioner, vlipp it up and apply sunscreen on my part. It takes a couple shampoos to get out, but way better than a burned scalp and damaged hair.

Whether we like it or not, there nothing better than a good hat to protect your head/face/upper neck from sun damage.

Yes, there are sunscreens, and you should use it IN ADDITION TO HATS. And baseball caps and visors are only useful to protect a very limited part of your head (namely just your upper forehead and extreme top of your head). The scalp of your head, even with hair, gets the brunt of the sun damage because it is facing directly up. The same goes for top of ears and tip of your nose, as well as base of your neck.

I usually recommend my patients (both male and female) to get a "Sophia Loren style" hat when they go on a sunny vacation. What I mean by "Sophia Loren style" is a hat that has a general rim all the away around, instead of a baseball cap. In my opinion, visors are totally useless for sun protection.

And also, sunscreens needs to be re-applied every 2-4 hours...I think sunscreen containing shampoo, if such a thing exists, should be classified under "consumer scams." Also, for any sunscreen to work well, it needs to dry onto the skin. I have no idea how a product that allows you to rinse off will stay on the skin.

Hi,

My two cents as well. I think a hat is the best choice all around. Please wear sunscreen on your face, ears, and neck - instead of rely on the hat to cover these areas. But please wear a hat!

Barbara

Archived