Cagney's Ribeye on The Dawn, anyone?

Just off the Norweigian Dawn this A.M. too. Went to Cagneys first night of cruise. I had the Ribeye bone in. It was as expected, done to my liking medium/rare. It was a good quality.

Sons girlfriend had Bison Strip. I got a bite, it was good and done medium/rare. It was way more tender than I thought it would be.

Had the Rib Eye in La Cucina too. It too was good.

Had the 32 oz. steak in La Bistro. It was good, but was a tad more overdone than I ordered.

I've never been that impressed with Cagney's. It's good, but not fantastic. That said if I want steak I always go to La Cucina. The cost is $15.00 and the steak is great and the service on the NCL ships I've been on is wonderful.

Hi all,

Leaving a week from tomorrow on The Dawn and CANNOT WAIT. Been counting down for months.

I'm a big steak fan, ribeye particularly. We last sailed The Dawn in 2012 and I had one at Cagney's. I was not impressed. It was tough, sinewy, and not really marbled, just pure grizzle running throughout.

I'm hoping the ribeye has improved since then, or we just had bad luck. Has anyone ordered one recently? Any feedback?

We are booked for Cagney's our first night of the cruise and I'd love a great steak. Wondering if I should chance another ribeye or just pick something else. What are your favorite cuts?

Happy Sails!

I have had the Ribeye,it was good but my cousin got it once (not on theDawn) and it was more fat than steak. Just like your favorite land restaurant you can get bad on occassion, but usually it is good. I will add, ribeye isn't my favorite steak anyway.

I do have to say, I am surprised yours was tough. I don't think I have ever had a tough ribeye. It almost sounds like you didn't get ribeye.

Since you have already left and here we are telling you our steak experiences, be sure to report back and let us know if things worked out better this time.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I've never been that impressed with Cagney's. It's good, but not fantastic. That said if I want steak I always go to La Cucina. The cost is $15.00 and the steak is great and the service on the NCL ships I've been on is wonderful.

its kinda funny going to italian place for steak with two steakhouses available lol

Haven't left yet! Friday! Maybe I was wrong calling it tough, Nita. It was filled with chewy grizzle, not the kind of marbling you get in a good rib eye.

ok, well enjoy your cruise and decide for yourself about Cagney's. As I said, I was happy with the steak, I am just not a lover of CAgney's and our son in law would rather eat there than anyplace on the ship.

its kinda funny going to italian place for steak with two steakhouses available lol

Not when the Italian place is $15 and the steakhouse and French restaurants are double the price. (Getting the steak at Le Bistro incurrs a $10 surcharge in addition to the $20 fee.) If you have the UDP, then yes, it's silly to eat at "Olive Garden Lite."

Anyone know if they have a lobster night on the Dawn? Was on the POA last month and lobster night was Wednesday at Cagney's & La Bistro. Wife and each had our own whole lobster & split an 8 oz. filet. Cost an extra $10 each for the lobster, but oh so good.