Which would you do: hawaii-11 days on legend or 14 days on splendor?

Brooke71991

I have only ever been on one carnival cruise and it was a 5 day bahama trip on the fascination in 2014, but I have decided to do a honeymoon cruise to hawaii. I originally booked an 11 day trip to hawaii on the legend, but have noticed a few weeks later there is a 14 day on splendor. I am having trouble deciding and here are my reasons. A longer trip always sounds better, but the 14 day does only have 4 islands instead of five and takes off one of the best, but I have never flown before. The 14 day on splendor begins and ends in cali. The plane trip will only be five hours. The 11 days trip will be 7 hours to Vancouver and 13 hours back from Honolulu. I get very restless, so I'm not sure how that will go. Not to mention the round trip ticket rate for the Cali tickets are cheaper than both the trip to vancouver and the trip back from honolulu, so the extra price for the 14 day cruise evens out. Many people have said it is about the ports many times and not the ship. I am going to be having many sea days. I need a good ship with lots to do and not get bored after a few days. I do not know much about legend or splendor, but I do know legend goes into dry dock next year before the cruises, so it may be more updated and cleaner than splendor at that point, especially with the technical issues splendor has been experiencing. So any thoughts? What would you do and why? Thanks in advance!!

I'm making a couple of assumptions but here goes.

The 14 day is probably a round trip, and the 11 day is a repositioning cruise. The price per diem if probably a LOT less on the repositioning cruise (we paid $1058 PP. When I saw the 14 day cruises first offered, I was blown away at the initial premium price).

The Spendor, when it first went to Hawaii, could not fit in the narrow port on Kauii, so it had to skip that port. Not sure if that's been addressed, but I found that the best of all the Hawaiian stops.

From personal experience and based on the opinions of the 5 others who cruised with us, I would NOT cruise to Hawaii. We wish we had put the money toward a land trip visiting more of the islands OR go on that other line like my sisters did. They saw so much more than we did. Thats just my opinion.

Have to disagree. We had a car waiting for us in each port, and did SO MUCH MORE than people who were relying on tours. We found we saw more than people that did a land trip. And we did 4 islands.

I have friends that frequent Hawaii. They swear by flying to Hawaii and then cruising island to island.

We loved our cruise so much that a honeymooning couple friends of ours did that. THEY HATED IT. There was no down time. It was 7 days of intensive touring.

And these days, only NCLA offers that. No way would I give a dime to that company. 2 of there 3 ships had to give up that itinerary being it was unsuccessful.

We did 2 NCL cruises to Hawaii. The first we did 4 ports but also had to cruise to a non US port ( Fanning Island) witch was 1100 miles away. This took up 3 of our 7 days (1 cruise there, 1 docked,, 1 cruise back). Although we greatly enjoyed Fanning island- took a suitcase full of crayons, pencils, and coloring books for the kids of the island, rented a bike to ride around and deliver these. And it was on new ship-Norwegian Star had only been in service for 6 months.

But I didn't want to spend 3 of my 7 days on my next NCL cruise going to another island, we decided to cruise Norwegian Pride of America with over night on Kauai and Maui.

Great cruises but then a land resort, Princeville on Kauai. Also fabulous.

My thinking is-if your cruising or in Hawaii- ITS A GREAT DAY!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CKM
Not finished

• 1 month later...
We did the Legend to Hawaii the best cruise so far because we stayed 7 days post in Honolulu can't wait to return only if the cruise begins and end on the island on Honolulu

I have a cruise from Honolulu and ending in Vancouver. Would you recommend spending a couple of days before in Honolulu? I'd like to do a couple of extra days in Vancouver...

I have a cruise from Honolulu and ending in Vancouver. Would you recommend spending a couple of days before in Honolulu? I'd like to do a couple of extra days in Vancouver...

We did pre cruise 3 days in Vancouver and post stay 1 week in Honolulu because we have never been to either, we always stay extra days in places we have never been to.

These flight times are from where I live. The ship leaves out from Vancouver and I would have to fly back from Honolulu. Whereas a flight to LA is only about 5 hours from where I live.

I live in Vancouver . Doing the trip on the Legend , staying another 6 days in Honolulu and flying direct in 6 hours back to Vancouver

We've sailed Splendor & Legend, & are doing the 15 day to Hawaii in Dec 2017 aboard the Miracle. While I liked the deck plan of the Legend (spirit class) better than the Splendor, I liked the slightly larger size of the Splendor more than the Legend- more to do onboard. I didn't "love" either ship's décor, but décor doesn't make or break a cruise for me. Splendor had a wonderful crew this February, but that could change by the time of your honeymoon cruise. Personally I'd take the longer cruise, but that's my choice. We are really excited to be taking the Miracle to Hawaii in Dec. Love the idea of 4 sea days on each end of the cruise & quite a bit of time at each Hawaiian port. Hope your decision works well for you, enjoy your honeymoon.

I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago - 14 day on a Splendor or 10 on a Legend. And Legend won. I know it's a shorter cruise, but we are embarking in Vancouver, visiting 5 ports in Hawaii, finishing in Honolulu, flying back to Europe via San Francisco. I've never been to any of these places; never been to Canada. Now I'll get to see them all on the same trip.

So it depends what you want and what you prefer. If you enjoy more sea days and just want a longer cruise, then Splendor is your option. We decided on a Legend, as it's already long journey for us, we might as well try and see as many places as possible. :halo:

We made our choice and chose the Splendor! :D

Awesome. :) We are booked for our 4th Hawaii cruise on the Splendor next Oct.

True, she doesn't go to Kauai, but we did go there on our last 3 cruises.

This one is a family cruise, and DS wanted a '5 year old friendly' ship, and he wanted CCL.:cool:

Patti