Lobster lunch in Halifax

Does anyone have any recommendations of places not too far from the cruise terminal? More importantly, are there some we should avoid. Sometimes, in a tourist area, there may be some that are not so good.

Both the above are excellent suggestions. If you want a whole lobster it is difficult to go wrong with any of the places along the waterfront. McKelvie's is very nice. Less fancy and more for tourists, but they can do lobster well, is the Murphy's Restaurant on the waterfront: http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/murphys-restaurant/Location?oid=978105

Both the above are excellent suggestions. If you want a whole lobster it is difficult to go wrong with any of the places along the waterfront. McKelvie's is very nice. Less fancy and more for tourists, but they can do lobster well, is the Murphy's Restaurant on the waterfront: http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/murphys-restaurant/Location?oid=978105

Maryann do you recommend Salty's?

I agree. Very overrated.

Hi Was reviewing seafood restaurants in Halifax to find the best place to find a steamed lobster at a reasonable price. Are we looking at around $25/# for a lunch time lobster meal. Are there any places where you can buy off the boat and have it steamed eating on picnic tables.

Thanks

Dave

Does anyone have any recommendations of places not too far from the cruise terminal? More importantly, are there some we should avoid. Sometimes, in a tourist area, there may be some that are not so good.

We are cruising into Halifax on the Glory on July 10th. I've done some research and decided we are going to have a wonderful lobster roll at Evan's Fresh Seafood in Dartmouth. It is only a very short ferry ride away and is right near where the ferry docks. I have had a couple of locals tell me it is really good and a steal at around $10 with small salad or fries. But I don't want everyone to end up there and make a line up! I'm told they get a lot of people from the cruiseships.

Since there is no lobster fishing right in Halifax Harbour you cannot buy lobster off a boat. You could buy it at a supermarket (There is a Superstore on Barrington Street very near the cruise terminal) or at the Seaport Farmer's Market (at least I think they have it), and then find a place to eat it. There are tables at the market.

You would need to get the seller to crack the lobster for you if you do not have crackers or lobster shears.

Ryer's pound sounds perfect but it is outside the city.

Post this question on Trip Advisor and see if someone in Halifax can give you more information.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be cruising into Halifax this fall on NCL. We visit Bar Harbor fairly often, and are huge fans of lobster rolls. We want to have one for lunch while in Halifax. The ones at The Battered Fish in Halifax have been recommended to us. What say you all? Thanks.

I say go for it ,the Battered Fish is excellent it is on the Waterfront quite close to the Ferry Dock and Nova Scotia Crystal- they have picnic benches there. if it happens to be wet day you can walk up to Scotia Square and have in the food court they have another outlet there. It is all cooked to order the fries are to die for, the sweet potato ones are wonderful everything is excellent.

Hope that helps lol!!!!

I say go for it ,the Battered Fish is excellent it is on the Waterfront quite close to the Ferry Dock and Nova Scotia Crystal- they have picnic benches there. if it happens to be wet day you can walk up to Scotia Square and have in the food court they have another outlet there. It is all cooked to order the fries are to die for, the sweet potato ones are wonderful everything is excellent.

Hope that helps lol!!!!

Thanks so much. We'll definitely try it--it's on the "list"! Now I just have to remember to take it....;)

Thanks so much. We'll definitely try it--it's on the "list"! Now I just have to remember to take it....;)

I had the opportuntiy to try lobster roll this week, sorry to say I did not rate too high it seemed dry, not much flavour and bun not very good.

The fries as usual were excllent hand cut shoe string yummy and friend had haddock excellent. I'll keep trying on the lobster roll!!! lol

Three out of our party of four can't wait to have a lobster roll in Halifax in September but the fourth doesn't eat seafood. Can anyone recommend the best place along the waterfront to satisfy our lobster roll cravings as well as serving non-seafood options. Thanks.

Three out of our party of four can't wait to have a lobster roll in Halifax in September but the fourth doesn't eat seafood. Can anyone recommend the best place along the waterfront to satisfy our lobster roll cravings as well as serving non-seafood options. Thanks.

The Seaport Farmers Market is right on the waterfront 2 mins from cruise dock beside the Fish Shop there is another small shop with wonderful paninis with lots of choices, there are also a great Chinese food outlet with needless to say wonderful fresh local vegatables in all their dishes excellent. Depending on the day there are over 60 different vendors well over 50% with food of all kinds. You can't go wrong.

The Battered Fish and Evans mentioned earlier in this thread have chicken strips, salads and other non fish items.

Hope this helps,

We wont be arriving until the first week in September. Will we still find lobster at yr recommended Seaport Market, McKlevies, and Murphy's? And still find lobster rolls at The Battered Fish? Thnank you.

Hi: We are arriving on a Monday in September and I see that a lot of restaurants are closed on that particular day. How does this change the recommendations for a lobster lunch. Still looking for something informal where you have them cooked and eat at a picnic table. I can bring crackers and picks from home if needed.

Dave

Hi: We are arriving on a Monday in September and I see that a lot of restaurants are closed on that particular day. How does this change the recommendations for a lobster lunch. Still looking for something informal where you have them cooked and eat at a picnic table. I can bring crackers and picks from home if needed.

Dave

The Fish Shop at the Seaport Market by the cruise ship dock would be open and provide what you are looking for, I'm sure Murphy's would also be open on the waterfront.

If you are renting a car or taking a taxi tour Ryers lobsters near Peggy's Cove provides exactly what you are looking for. If the weather is good the picnic tables have wonderful view of the bay from the pictureque inlet.

We did this tour last year with Halifax Cruise Ship taxi Tours it was an excellent tour and the lobster delicious cooked to order.

Hope this helps and have great visit and of course fabulous lobster!!

The Fish Shop at the Seaport Market by the cruise ship dock would be open and provide what you are looking for, I'm sure Murphy's would also be open on the waterfront.

If you are renting a car or taking a taxi tour Ryers lobsters near Peggy's Cove provides exactly what you are looking for. If the weather is good the picnic tables have wonderful view of the bay from the pictureque inlet.

We did this tour last year with Halifax Cruise Ship taxi Tours it was an excellent tour and the lobster delicious cooked to order.

Hope this helps and have great visit and of course fabulous lobster!!

Thanks! We nixed Peggy's Cove as we would need to be there early to beat the crowds, then visit the Maple syrup store and Ryers would be to early for lunch.

Dave

Thanks! We nixed Peggy's Cove as we would need to be there early to beat the crowds, then visit the Maple syrup store and Ryers would be to early for lunch.

Dave

Depends on the day in September how many cruise ships are in Port. Not sure what you had planned for the day but you could tour Halifax in the AM and then head out which would be after the main crowds?

Archived