what to do

luv2go4

Here's a cheap option: Walk from the pier to the bus terminal on Market St. - about a 10 min. walk. Then, catch the #17 bus for a dollar or two each down to Nelson's Dockyard. There is a $10 entrance fee as I recall, but it's a pretty cool place to visit. All the buildings and the grounds are restored/rebuilt to the historical period. The museum has some interesting displays and artifacts from Admiral Nelson's time, and you can walk around and look at the yachts in the marina. There are also several restaurants in the Dockyard (but, expensive!). The bus will drop you off and pick you back up right at the entrance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Other than taking a taxi, and doing a beach stop, i can name a few activities that can be done. The presence of a four yr old will limit the amount of activities that can be done.

Snorkeling Antigua this is a shore snorkeling tour in English harbour. Great tour for seeing turtles and possibly rays. There are 1 hr and 2 hr tour, however, your 4 yr old may only be able to handle 1 hr. Great tour guide, gets along well with children. Pick up is included from the port and drop off, all included in the price of 60$ usd per person.

Stingray City this activity is also suitable for your family. You get to pet large southern sting rays and for $25 USD additional to the fee, you get a beautiful photo, of yourself holding one of the giant rays. The cost of this is $50 USD per person. You will need to get a taxi to sting ray city though, however, the taxis usually pool visitors traveling to the same destination to make the cost more affordable per passenger.

• 1 month later...
Other than taking a taxi, and doing a beach stop, i can name a few activities that can be done. The presence of a four yr old will limit the amount of activities that can be done.

Snorkeling Antigua this is a shore snorkeling tour in English harbour. Great tour for seeing turtles and possibly rays. There are 1 hr and 2 hr tour, however, your 4 yr old may only be able to handle 1 hr. Great tour guide, gets along well with children. Pick up is included from the port and drop off, all included in the price of 60$ usd per person.

Stingray City this activity is also suitable for your family. You get to pet large southern sting rays and for $25 USD additional to the fee, you get a beautiful photo, of yourself holding one of the giant rays. The cost of this is $50 USD per person. You will need to get a taxi to sting ray city though, however, the taxis usually pool visitors traveling to the same destination to make the cost more affordable per passenger.

Hi Skylork. I tried asking a question on the snorkeling website but for some reason the contact page kept saying there was an error and I needed to fix my error. I had all boxes filled out so not sure what I was missing. I’m curious how the tours work with cruise ships? We will be on the Jewel of the Seas ship in December( itinerary says we will be there 8-5). We are considering this tour but want to make sure we can make the morning tour and we would be picked up from the cruise port after we are docked and off the ship? Thanks!

Hi Skylork. I tried asking a question on the snorkeling website but for some reason the contact page kept saying there was an error and I needed to fix my error. I had all boxes filled out so not sure what I was missing. I’m curious how the tours work with cruise ships? We will be on the Jewel of the Seas ship in December( itinerary says we will be there 8-5). We are considering this tour but want to make sure we can make the morning tour and we would be picked up from the cruise port after we are docked and off the ship? Thanks!

You can contact them @ info@snorkelingantigua.com for more info. I know they service cruise passengers but it is best to chat directly with them to get the correct info.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the serenade in November and are looking for things to do also. Is this a port where you can get off and just walk around? We are lost for what ports to go to beach at. St John’s,St Kitts and St Croix. My husband and I. We don’t want to only do beaches the whole trip. Already booked beach in st Thomas

• 1 month later...

Kids may find a dedicated trip to Nelsons dockyard a bit boring. They try hard to be an attraction but an hour max.  We did this as part of a catamaran trip which included beach snorkelling and viewing the Island (and the obligatory 'Eric Clapton lives there')

The stores at St Johns also have (like many in Caribbean) 'cruise ship docking days' where prices are changed.