Gratuities/tipping for excursions?

slidebite

So, without sounding completely naive (which I am!), what is a recommended gratuity/tip for multi-hour excursion? I know Regent is all inclusive, but I presume tipping a tour operator/host for a great excursion is still appropriate and proper etiquette?

Yes tipping tour guides and/or drivers is expected (and recommended by Regent). I'll let others discuss the amounts or you can Google "tipping tour guides" and see what others tip. Note: We almost always tip tour guides and drivers unless the tour guide or driver is very poor (not talking about accents as many have them - just based on how they treat passengers and how they manage the tour).

For a good job by the respective individuals, I usually tip the local equivalent of $5 for the guide and $2-3 for the driver for a half-day excursion, and $10 for the guide and $5 for the driver for a full-day. If I don't have local currency, I may tip a bit more in dollars or euros because I've shifted the expense of the currency exchange to them. However, I don't do this if the currency in which I'm tipping is commonly accepted in the country in question even if it isn't the local currency.

Sounds about right to me too. however that would be my minimum for the tour guide. If the guide has been really excellent s/he gets more... driver doesn't get a tip at all if he has not been driving carefully.

I usually factor in the size of the tour group. If it’s a small group I will tip more . If there are 40 people on a tour and everyone tips $10 to the guide, he gets $400. If there are only 10 people on the tour, he gets $100.

Very subjective and many things to consider, but I generally go with my gut and hopefully error on the side of being generous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am probably guilty of tipping the driver more than a guide, if they have been a good driver and having had 24 years of driving anything from 7 seater disabled coaches to 70 seater coaches, I know a good driver.

This is the person that we, as passengers, put our faith in to transport us safely whilst remembering to make certain that they give you, the passengers a comfortable ride, slow for things of interest and know alternative routes if there is an incident on route and lastly they probably get a much lower rate of pay and unlike the guide, don't get to go home when you get off, but they have to ready the vehicle for the next trip, which may be later the same day, refuel, and check all the levels and possibly wash the outside.

We have been on excursions where we have been the only passengers to tip the driver!!

But back to tipping amounts, we normally tip the equivalent of £5pp for a short tour [3-4hrs] and £10pp for a all day tour, but this may well increase for an excellent tour.