Punta Cana as a Cruise Port?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:07 AM.
81 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
We took a taxi from our private excursion to that beach then taxi back to the port.

There were 8 of us in cab and I think it was like $5-7pp to get from beach to port.
West San Jose, California
1,387 Posts
Joined May 2011
Would be delighted to read any others' thoughts and reviews of this port. don't be shy, anything will help.

Scanditaly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005-Celebrity Mercury,Alaska, 2005-Celebrity Mercury, Mexico
2006-Silversea Silver Cloud, Fjords,
2009-RC Mariner, Mexico,
2011-Celebrity Eclipse, Italian Med,
-Princess Sapphire, Mexico;
-April, Celebrity Equinox, Caribbean; June, Emerald Princess-Scandinavia/Baltic; Sept, Celebrity Century, Calif Coastal; December, NCL Star, Mexico.
2014-April, Grand Princess-Pacific Coastal; Dec 20 & 27, RC Serenade, New Orleans Bahamas and Carib;
2015-April 5, 2015, RC Navigator, Galveston Western Caribbean; August 7, 2015 Celebrity Solstice, Alaska
2016-April 3rd, NCL Jade, Western Caribbean out of Houston; June 10th, Celebrity Solstice, Alaska out of Seattle, December, NCL Jade, Western Caribbean from Tampa
2017-April 2nd, Celebrity Infinity WB Panama Canal
2018-February 18, Celebrity Silhouette, Western Caribbean
Idaho
169 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by DR Cruiser
Hello, here is Celebrity Equinox in Cap Cana (Punta Cana) on September 1st.
https://www.facebook.com/cruisecapcana/

Thank you for posting!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aug /2001 - S.S. Chevron Mississippi - Not a cruise but a tearful 9 day tribute (burial at sea) to my Grandfather who spent 50 years at sea. (Thanks M.S.T.S. and Standard Oil/Chevron!!)
3/04/2006 - Disney Magic - FIRST CRUISE - Addicted!!!
3/18/2008 - RCL - Mariner - First RCL
7/12/2009 - RCL - Mariner - BAJA (Capt. Johnny on the West coast)
7/09/2011 - RCL - Oasis of the Seas - Western
6/30/2012 - NCL - Pride of America
6/21/2014 - NCL - Gem - NYC to Bahamas
3/21/2015 - Princess - Star - SFO to Hawaii
3/27/2017 - Princess - Grand - California Coastal

Idaho
169 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Next March will be our first stop in the Dominican Republic. Reads all the posts but two questions:

1. Has anyone ever been on one of the Celebrity ships and had the port cancelled due to weather or rough seas?

2. Has anyone done the segway eco tour? It says it is about 4 hours long.

Several months before we go, so will keep watching this post.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aug /2001 - S.S. Chevron Mississippi - Not a cruise but a tearful 9 day tribute (burial at sea) to my Grandfather who spent 50 years at sea. (Thanks M.S.T.S. and Standard Oil/Chevron!!)
3/04/2006 - Disney Magic - FIRST CRUISE - Addicted!!!
3/18/2008 - RCL - Mariner - First RCL
7/12/2009 - RCL - Mariner - BAJA (Capt. Johnny on the West coast)
7/09/2011 - RCL - Oasis of the Seas - Western
6/30/2012 - NCL - Pride of America
6/21/2014 - NCL - Gem - NYC to Bahamas
3/21/2015 - Princess - Star - SFO to Hawaii
3/27/2017 - Princess - Grand - California Coastal

69 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Capt. Johnny
Next March will be our first stop in the Dominican Republic. Reads all the posts but two questions:

1. Has anyone ever been on one of the Celebrity ships and had the port cancelled due to weather or rough seas?

2. Has anyone done the segway eco tour? It says it is about 4 hours long.

Several months before we go, so will keep watching this post.
Just returned from 8-days on the Equinox. Scheduled to stop in Punta Cana as one of 5 stops.
Were never allowed off the boat due to unsafe conditions for the tenders. Two to four foot swells made the 15-20 minutes journey to the marina too dangerous. The weather that day was absolutely gorgeous, so I hate to see what it looks like when the weather is a bit off. This was a huge disappointment for us, not just because we missed Punta Cana but it came at the beginning of a planned sea day which meant we ended up spending 4 days at sea on an 8-day cruise vs. 3 days at sea. Frustrating part is the Equinox was the ONLY ship on the Punta Cana manifest for the entire month of May. Not sure why Celebrity continues to try this destination? I for one will never again book a cruise that has Punta Cana as a scheduled stop.
1,387 Posts
Joined May 2011
Thank you, Tablet. We too are booked on the 8-day Equinox sailing. Hopefully, others will post their experiences here, so we can get a longer term notion of successful shore excursions. Hope you otherwise enjoyed the Equinox.

Scanditaly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2009-RC Mariner, Mexico,
-April, Celebrity Equinox, Caribbean; June, Emerald Princess-Scandinavia/Baltic; Sept, Celebrity Century, Calif Coastal; December, NCL Star, Mexico.
2014-April, Grand Princess-Pacific Coastal; Dec 20 & 27, RC Serenade, New Orleans Bahamas and Carib;
2015-April 5, 2015, RC Navigator, Galveston Western Caribbean; August 7, 2015 Celebrity Solstice, Alaska
2016-April 3rd, NCL Jade, Western Caribbean out of Houston; June 10th, Celebrity Solstice, Alaska out of Seattle, December, NCL Jade, Western Caribbean from Tampa
1,387 Posts
Joined May 2011
Does anyone wish to share their experiences about porting and visiting Punta Cana? I would really like to hear about it.

Thanks, Scanditaly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2009-RC Mariner, Mexico,
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by scanditaly
Does anyone wish to share their experiences about porting and visiting Punta Cana? I would really like to hear about it.

Thanks, Scanditaly
I did a review of our Oct 2017 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise that included a stop in Punta Cana. A link to our site is in my signature. I hope it helps some. It isn’t a great port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean
Oceania Marina - September 2019 - Amsterdam to Lisbon

1,387 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by MVPinBoynton
I did a review of our Oct 2017 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise that included a stop in Punta Cana. A link to our site is in my signature. I hope it helps some. It isn’t a great port.
Thank you for your very detailed very interesting travelogue. Can you please help me differentiate between Cap Cana, Amber Cove and Punta Cana?

TIA, Scanditaly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2009-RC Mariner, Mexico,
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,964 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Thank you for your very detailed very interesting travelogue. Can you please help me differentiate between Cap Cana, Amber Cove and Punta Cana?

TIA, Scanditaly
Cap Cana is the port for Punta Cana. Amber Cove is also in the Dominican Republic. Below is the map of our cruise showing the two different port locations.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean
Oceania Marina - September 2019 - Amsterdam to Lisbon

Minnesota
2,450 Posts
Joined Jul 2008

Thanks, Scanditaly
Cap Cana (at Punta Cana) became one of our ports last fall on a Nieuw Amsterdam cruise after our planned stops encountered so much hurricane damage. (We were on the same cruise with MVPinBoynton.)

We did a tour with Outback Adventures but because they had a contract with Holland America, we had to book the excursion through the ship. However...HAL has a 110% price guarantee on their tours so I was able to get the difference in the ship price and the price if I had booked independently with Outback Adventures refunded (plus 10%).

The tour was a bit shorter than first advertised, but I attribute that to confusion from this being a new cruise ship port. Other than that, we really enjoyed our day and it was nice to be able to see a little of the "real" DR.

I have a description of our tour and quite a few pictures on my blog. Here is the link if you would like to get an idea of what we did: Outback Adventure Tour from Cap Cana

I also did a video of our cruise and the segment on Cap Cana starts at 9:00 minutes into the video.

Video of our Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise
It looked like the area around the port was being developed, but when we visited, you really needed to take a tour since there wasn't much to do near where the tenders dock.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Souvenir Memories...a photo blog of our cruises and other travels.

Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 10/17 Photo Blog of our Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise
Norwegian Sun 5/17 Photo Blog of our Alaska Cruise
Norwegian Pride of America 3/16 Photo Blog of our Hawaiian Cruise from San Francisco
Carnival Glory B2B 3/15 Photo Blog of Carnival Glory Cruise
Coral Princess 5/14 Photo Review of Coral Princess to Alaska, Photo Blog of our Alaska Adventure!
Emerald Princess 12/13 Emerald Princess Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 1/12 Victory Review with Photos
Carnival Legend 8/10 Legend Review with Photos
Carnival Freedom 7/09 Freedom Review with Photos
Carnival Victory 8/05 Victory Review
Carnival Paradise 6/04 Paradise Review
Carnival Paradise 6/02
1,387 Posts
Joined May 2011
Thank you so much, AryMay, love the video.

Scanditaly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2009-RC Mariner, Mexico,
Gastonia, NC
13 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
For those who have already stopped in Cap Cana / Punta Cana, would you recommend a cruise line shore excursion or just taking the shuttle bus to the beach?

We're scheduled to stop here on our next Celebrity cruise, and their shore excursions seem a bit pricey. We have a bit of extra on board credit to use, so I'd like to book a shore excursion in either Punta Cana or Nassau. Since we've been to Nassau many times before and know we won't get off of the ship without a shore excursion, I'm leaning towards a shore excursion in Nassau and just doing the shuttle bus to the beach in Punta Cana.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12/21/18 - Holland America Koningsdam
11/16/18 - Celebrity Equinox
12/22/17 - Holland America Westerdam
07/15/17 - Norwegian Escape
11/19/16 - Celebrity Reflection
12/27/15 - Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam
07/05/14 - Carnival Sunshine
11/22/10 - Carnival Imagination
03/16/08 - Carnival Sensation
06/01/03 - Carnival Paradise
Wisconsin
641 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by LizO830
For those who have already stopped in Cap Cana / Punta Cana, would you recommend a cruise line shore excursion or just taking the shuttle bus to the beach?

We're scheduled to stop here on our next Celebrity cruise, and their shore excursions seem a bit pricey. We have a bit of extra on board credit to use, so I'd like to book a shore excursion in either Punta Cana or Nassau. Since we've been to Nassau many times before and know we won't get off of the ship without a shore excursion, I'm leaning towards a shore excursion in Nassau and just doing the shuttle bus to the beach in Punta Cana.

Thoughts? Thanks!
I’m looking for the same thing. I was surprised to see how pricey the Celebrity shore excursions are! I considered doing a hotel for a day, but that costs more than the shore excursions. We are taking our daughter and boyfriend for their college graduation so paying that much for 4 people is really getting expensive. I just can’t justify $600-$700 to go to a resort for a day, but we would really like to do something.
Somewhere in Ohio
966 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by LizO830

Thoughts? Thanks!
I posted this on 11/27/17

We returned today from our 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette and one of tbe stops was Cap Cana. It took sometime to load the tenders because of rough waters but we made it on shore.
We decided to go to Juanillo Beach, which is about 25 min ride. The round trip on the shuttle was 20/person and it left every 15 or 20 min. A cab with scheduled pick up time was $65/car so convenient if it is more than 3 in your group. Once there we went to Little John restaurant and settled in a cabana style seats and table. Payment was consumption but you could negotiate. Beach was nice but there was a lot of seaweed and water clarity was not that great. The other option was API beach for $15 round trip per person. It looks like they put a net out in the water to prevent seaweed from getting to shore.

The shops at the marina were open but there really wasn't much to see.

The tender on the way back was much better. This is a port I would not mind missing in the future.

Excursion to same beach was 109 per person. Too pricey IMO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Edge - Caribbean on 3/24/19

Past Cruises
10 Celebrity Cruises
3 Royal Caribbean Cruises
Whitby ON
140 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Sandy1975
I posted this on 11/27/17

We returned today from our 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette and one of tbe stops was Cap Cana. It took sometime to load the tenders because of rough waters but we made it on shore.
We decided to go to Juanillo Beach, which is about 25 min ride. The round trip on the shuttle was 20/person and it left every 15 or 20 min. A cab with scheduled pick up time was $65/car so convenient if it is more than 3 in your group. Once there we went to Little John restaurant and settled in a cabana style seats and table. Payment was consumption but you could negotiate. Beach was nice but there was a lot of seaweed and water clarity was not that great. The other option was API beach for $15 round trip per person. It looks like they put a net out in the water to prevent seaweed from getting to shore.

The shops at the marina were open but there really wasn't much to see.

The tender on the way back was much better. This is a port I would not mind missing in the future.

Excursion to same beach was 109 per person. Too pricey IMO

Thanks so much for your report back. My sister and I are on the Equinox in January and hard to find info on this port. Think we will try Juanillo beach as you did (if we are able to tender). I try to avoid tendered ports when booking cruises with my husband but sister liked this itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums