scooter annoys ablebodied

Ians Grandma

Last year my son and I were on a cruise to the South Pacific which we throughly enjoyed. My son is confined to a wheelchair. We wanted to see a crossing the equator event on deck so we got there over an hour before the event to get a front row seat as it is the only way that he could see. We have found that people always stand in front of him if we don't get a spot in the very front and he has no way to see around them. I was saddened to later read online that someone was angry because his scooter blocked people who wanted to go up front and take photos. If they wanted to be up front they could have sat in the sun for an hour, as we did. It is hard live with a disability but also hard to have to fight all of the time for basic acceptance in a group. I am just venting but do other cruisers who cannot walk at all find the same thing? We do try to blend in as much as possible and not be demanding. We are going on a cruise again soon and I feel a bit worried.

No matter where you go in the world, there will be cruel and rude people. I've always said that if every single person could be disabled for just a few days, there would be a whole lot of understanding. I would bet that every single person with a disability has faced the same thing you have, and unfortunately, that's the way of the world. I know that when I've cruised and taken the ship's shore excursions, I've had nasty comments thrown my way by people saying things like "Oh great. She walks slow and will hold up the entire tour." But the great thing is, for whatever reason it seems that those same people get bit in the butt. The same ones who said I would slow them down were the ones who got back to the bus at least 15 minutes later than the guide said they should. After the third late arrival, one of the passengers went up to this couple and said, "So, you were complaining about this lady holding up our tour? Well, at least she has the common courtesy to be back on the bus on time while you make us wait at each and every stop".

Those of us with disabilities have to put up with the jackasses of the world, and just do what we can, while ignoring them. I wish you many happy, and stress free cruises.

Everyone deals with insensitive people regularly. It doesn't matter is you're disabled or not. I personnally have experienced this on cruises, while using a scooter. Not being shy, I'm quick to nicely remind them that I was not always disabled and they too may suddenly find themself in the same position. Also how will they handle it when people make the same snide remarks to them ?

Have heard the full range of comments from " It you weren't over wieght you wouldn't need that scooter ". Yes I need to loose weight but I have MS and that's why I use a scooter. The one I personally love was when I was slowly walking through a revolving door , the person behind me yelled at me " Hey lady are you crippled ? Hurry it up ! I was going into a major medical center and the person who made the comment was a medical student. When my answer was "As a matter of fact I am and you apparently missed class the day they taught patient sensitivity ! " Comments such this usually shuts them up fast.

Just let it roll off your shoulders. Agree whether abled or disabled they should have arrived early for a good position.

Book another cruise and just enjoy. Forget the narrow minds of the world as they will always be around.

What everyone else said. People are either kind or not. Selfish or unselfish. One thing about being disabled, it CAN happen to anyone, in the blink of an eye. So people who are complaining should pipe down and count their blessings instead. You did the right thing for your son and that's all that matters. Forget the nasty people.

I seriously doubt that you son was blocking the whole front. Sounds like someone was just being whiney. :rolleyes: I know my mom only comes up to mid-chest height on me when she is in her wheelchair. I can easily take photos over her head (and have done so ;))

Everyone deals with insensitive people regularly. It doesn't matter is you're disabled or not. I personnally have experienced this on cruises, while using a scooter. Not being shy, I'm quick to nicely remind them that I was not always disabled and they too may suddenly find themself in the same position. Also how will they handle it when people make the same snide remarks to them ?

Have heard the full range of comments from " It you weren't over wieght you wouldn't need that scooter ". Yes I need to loose weight but I have MS and that's why I use a scooter. The one I personally love was when I was slowly walking through a revolving door , the person behind me yelled at me " Hey lady are you crippled ? Hurry it up ! I was going into a major medical center and the person who made the comment was a medical student. When my answer was "As a matter of fact I am and you apparently missed class the day they taught patient sensitivity ! " Comments such this usually shuts them up fast.

Just let it roll off your shoulders. Agree whether abled or disabled they should have arrived early for a good position.

Book another cruise and just enjoy. Forget the narrow minds of the world as they will always be around.

When I was first diagnosed I was on crutches. I worked in a major medical center that had heavy brass doors at the entrance (pre-

ADA). I was leaving the building on my crutches. I managed to open the door and was leaning against them to allow someone more disabled than me get through. All the while staff was using the door I was holding open on crutches without a thought. I finally gave a very loud, very embarrassing speech to some of my fellow health care workers!

To the OP..narrow minded people are all over, you just have to ignore them. I am a firm believer that they should teach disability awareness in school. I have people step on my cane and pull the rubber piece off, I've been pushed out of the way on the subway so an AB person can get a seat. I was on the subway once with my cane. I was having a good day but I managed a seat. I saw a woman get on. She was pale while and having trouble breathing. After seeing people ignore her and look away, I gave her my seat. She tried to refuse but I insisted. Someone got up the next stop and some AB tried to take the seat but the woman blocked it. We got to talking and it was her first day back at work after open heart surgery. Her doc wanted her out longer but she needed the money. I felt so bad for her and gave her the access a ride info for our city. I hoped she contacted them.

I have actually had people post that they don't like to cruise HAL anymore because there are so many walkers, scooters and wheelchairs. Some ignorant people simply don't like to cruise with Handicapped people. They would prefer not to look at us I guess.

Many AB say that HC cruisers annoy them, but those AB sure like to book our cabins don't they. :eek:

I have actually had people post that they don't like to cruise HAL anymore because there are so many walkers, scooters and wheelchairs. Some ignorant people simply don't like to cruise with Handicapped people. They would prefer not to look at us I guess.

Many AB say that HC cruisers annoy them, but those AB sure like to book our cabins don't they. :eek:

More like the prefer not to look at themselves in the not too distant future. There but for the grace of God.

Sometimes if we don't slow down and say no, God does it for us. Past year, been dealing with aftermath of stroke. Was doing too much - including taking care of locked-in-syndrome DS. Being AB now, doesn't mean you will be AB in future.

More like the prefer not to look at themselves in the not too distant future. There but for the grace of God.

• 1 month later...
We have a overweight friend who sometimes, but not always, needs a cane or a walker. If she were to cruise, I would strongly encourage her to rent a scooter. She was quite slim until her jeep ran over an IUD in Iraq during Desert Storm! Would you know this by looking at her? NO!! Would she bother to tell you any of that so that you'd know that she really REALLY NEEDED a scooter and wasn't just renting it because she was "fat" and "lazy"? Absolutely not!!

Next time you try to be FAIR & NEUTRAL, try to keep in mind that you don't know all of anyone's life. FAIR & NEUTRAL really shouldn't sound as judgemental as your post.

Oooops - should say IED not IUD. :o

Being a full time WC user for 18yrs I have seen alot, some good some bad

I try to blend in and go with the flow. I don't use my handicap as a excuse

I loss the use of my legs so to make up for it ,my arms do all the work.

I have seen people in scooters during a cruise who need them and alot who don't. If you have a weight issue due to a illness, why is the table filled with food ,as your scooter is blocking the hallway. Even being in a chair I have been smashed into and been cut off trying to get into the evalators. My wife ,being the more vocal person ,has stated more than once as we wait for the elevator as AB people try to blow past us on the open elavator that her husband would love to use the stairs that are right behind us BUT HE CAN'T

Fair and Neutral? Hardly. Rude and condescending, perhaps. You have absolutely no idea why a person needs a scooter and you have no right to judge why a person is overweight. I, for one, am unable to exercise due to my disability, and therefore I'm not svelt. Do not judge until you run a hundred miles in my scooter. Many times, a disabled person is unable to control their weight for many, many reasons beyond their control. Disabilities and weight issues, many times, go hand in hand. Are scooter riders sometimes out of control? Yes. Are able bodied persons sometimes rude, mean and horrible to those with disabilities? A very big YES. We must coexist, so try and not judge a person's weight issues and call them lazy. They may not be able to help the size they are.

No **** ... Having been diabetic since 1980, I have been on a seriously tightly controlled diet for the majority of my life. I had my body tank on me and gained 150 lbs in 3 years [the navy docs in their infinite ability to **** up a wetdream kept telling me it was because I was and I quote the frelling doctor 'sitting on my ass watching tv and eating bonbons' to myself and my husband. Husband went up the food chain and got the ***** reprimanded.] Now I have a degenerative joint issue, but I still maintain an 1800 cal/day diet as always. If I decide to arrange what I eat to go out for dinner and take a dessert, you would not believe the GLARES I get. If I use a scooter or chair out shopping in the grocery store, I have heard mutters of 'fat pig needs to get up and walk off that fat'. Like any of you that are also heavy, I would *love* to lose weight, but realistically, there is not much I can do for exercise - I live out in the country and the nearest lap pool I could conceivably access is 35 miles away. Hubby works 50 miles in the opposite direction and we have one car. Not much option for me. With the house market and loss of my job, moving is not an option [besides, the house is handicapped modified and we would have to start all over again on a new place.]

Being a full time WC user for 18yrs I have seen alot, some good some bad

I try to blend in and go with the flow. I don't use my handicap as a excuse

I loss the use of my legs so to make up for it ,my arms do all the work.

I have seen people in scooters during a cruise who need them and alot who don't. If you have a weight issue due to a illness, why is the table filled with food ,as your scooter is blocking the hallway. Even being in a chair I have been smashed into and been cut off trying to get into the evalators. My wife ,being the more vocal person ,has stated more than once as we wait for the elevator as AB people try to blow past us on the open elavator that her husband would love to use the stairs that are right behind us BUT HE CAN'T

YEP, I know what you mean. Multiple plates piled high overflowing with food. Personally when I go to a Buffett, I fill my plate in a NORMAL manner. I know I can always go back for more. This way, 1.) I dont waste food 2.) I dont eat more than I am really hungry for 3.) I make sure I really like what I have taken & not wasted it (Like #1)

I will agree with DFW Airwolf on one thing -- everyone who uses a mobility should operate it in a safe manner. Sometimes though, this just doesn't happen, and I've seen accidents too. One year at an Abilities Expo my friend had her foot broken when it was run over by someone test driving a scooter. Personally I thought it was a recipie for disaster -- having inexperienced scooter users test driving them at such a crowded venue. So yes, we should all strive for safety. ABs too. They need to be aware of their environment and not cut in front of folks or turn abruptly. I think we could ALL benefit from being more aware of our environment.

As for having to have a docs note for a scooter, well I'm totally against that. First off, you can get any other kind of a mobility device without a doctors prescription. Second, some slow walkers may not even need to go to the doctor. If you have some extra aches and pains (let's say they are age related) or if you just don't have the stamina you used to, then why shouldn't you take advantage of technology to make life more comfortable for you? I don't think it's infringing on anyone if everyone behaves responsibly.

As for overweight people on scooters. I know some folks who can't exercise because of heart conditions. My point is, we have no way of telling why a person is using a scooter just by looking at them. And frankly, it's none of my business. If someone feels they need a scooter for whatever reason, then they should be entitled to use one, as long as they are capable of operating it safely.

Candy

This is kind of interesting. All the threats of arrest, litigation from this person against scooter operators, who, on another board, said he would drop his drinks (albeit "accidently") on any smoker---all this on the Carnival board. So I guess this person feels it's OK to "assault" another person by dropping drinks on them. Just saying.......

DFW Airwolf,

Whether for good or ill the ADA long ago now made the determination about what can be required as "Proof" of any disabilty and by whom and under what circumstance. These rules cut both ways for those of us who need accomodation.

As for Fat/lazy. Many disabilties cause overweight or a person cannot excercise at all because of a condition. and even dieting alone does not do it with no excercise.

That is just a biased comment.

As for scooter owners/riders running into people. Yes it happens it often happens through no fault of the scooter driver also. Ever try to get out of Disneyworld at closing going down main street with people pushed in against you on all sides? going in a scooter as slow as possible with peoples butts actually touching my sides, I have "run over" someone's foot. I was very sorry but they had been so close and someone had nudged them and their foot ended up under my wheel.

I have also had people stop DEAD in front of me and while I was STOPPED had people turn and walk right into me.

I have also while in a wheelchair had people turn and fall into my lap, and also one that walking again at Disney to the side of me, in my wheelchair, the person was smoking a cigerette, not supposed to be, and swinging it at their side, they swung their hand back and burned my face JUST UNDER MY EYE.

Able bodied people are COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to people on scooters or in wheelchairs, just do not see them there at all. and they pull all kinds of stupid moves in front of them.

Most scooters do not stop on a dime, there are a few that do, because that tends to JAR the disabled person on board causing pain in many cases so they stop over a second or so.

I do think it is too bad that people who have never ridden one don't have the sense to realize they need to practice first. We often suggest that someone go to a grocery store and try the cart there before they go rent or buy one.

This is kind of interesting. All the threats of arrest, litigation from this person against scooter operators, who, on another board, said he would drop his drinks (albeit "accidently") on any smoker---all this on the Carnival board. So I guess this person feels it's OK to "assault" another person by dropping drinks on them. Just saying.......

Dropping a drink on someone does NOT send them to the ER with a Broken Foot or other type injuries. I am talking about ASSAULT with INJURY. You get knocked to the ground, have diffuculty getting back up while someone drives off muttering SORRY, but he has to hurry & get to where they are going. Never mind I may have someplace I need to be in just as much as you do. Now I am the Walking Cripple. Or I may not be able to continue on because I have to detour to the Dr or such. What I am saying is TAKE RESPONSIBILITY & dont think just because you are handicapped it give you additional rights to assault or inconvience others.

Also I am very familiar with ADA laws. They state REASONABLE accomidations. This doesnt mean WHATEVER IT TAKES NO MATTER WHAT IT COSTS.

These are the types of threads that I don't usually post on but I just wanted to make one observation.

My wife (who is a full-time wheelchair user) and I travel overseas quite a bit and to us it's amazing how many people are overweight/obese in the US as compared to any other country we've been to. Among the countries we've been to are Japan, England, France, Italy, Greece, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, & India. Obviously this is just a personal observation and isn't statistical in any way but the differences seem very obvious.

Why in the US does it seem like more people are overweight/obese with disabilities that other countries? Just a question, not meant as an attack.

And just for reference, both my wife and I are also not "svelte" to use someone else's term. We just eat more calories that we burn, cruises don't help. :)

Why in the US does it seem like more people are overweight/obese with disabilities that other countries? Just a question, not meant as an attack.

I see to Major Reasons

!. We Eat More... Our friends from the UK are amazed at the portion sizes of meals when we eat out in the US.

2. We Put more JUNK in our Processed Food than anywhere else in the world...

As for Scooters, Most of you here seem to be very considerate when using your devise but remember there are those users with "Attitude" out there given all of you a bad name...I am very courteous to wheelchair/scooter users as both my Mother & Father In Law are disabled and I travel with and without them... but I have seen some users that make you just shake your head... I guess they became that way because of the insensitive jerks that you are describing here :confused: Sure would be nice if everyone could be "Understanding"

Here is another broken foot off a cruise but it would never occur to me to question a persons right to use an aid. On the other hand I cannot see you coming from behind either and maybe I am just no accustomed to the amount of space you need to manouver your wheelchair a bit of curtesy from both sides will go a long way to solving the problem but in todays society this ME ME business is starting to show in all "walks" of live (pardon the pun)

These are the types of threads that I don't usually post on but I just wanted to make one observation.

And just for reference, both my wife and I are also not "svelte" to use someone else's term. We just eat more calories that we burn, cruises don't help. :)

A couple of issues (and these are all generalizations...if we were face-to-face, we could narrow this down, more :o):

1) Food is much more plentiful and cheaper in the US. Unfortunately the "cheap" food is also highly processed, loaded with fat and sugar, and can really put on the pounds.

2) We tend to not eat as much fresh food -- fresh fruits, veggies, even bread. Packaged food ..well, see number 1

3) Americans don't get enough exercise. (An aside -- there is a gym that I pass on a regular basis..always fun to see the folks working hard to park as close to the door as possible, so they can hurry in and "work out". Seems like if they'd just park at the far end of the parking lot, they'd be able to reduce their gym time! :) )

4) My European friends are always surprised when they come to the US to see how little walking or bicycling people do here. American is a "car nation"...we want to go 3 blocks, we jump in the car. To be fair, mass transportation is very limited here. Except for the large cities, it's nonexistent in a lot of areas. No buses, trams, any of that, And everything is way spread out. There aren't "downtown areas" anymore where there might be a series of shops to provide necessities -- you end up driving from store to store.

There aren't even taxis where I live, in rural America. Combine that with no sidewalks, foot paths, but lots of large busy highways -- people will jump in their cars rather than walk or cycle somewhere.

We know it's a (excuse the pun) huge problem -- Americans are taller and heavier all the time, and diabetes and other health issues are rampant.

Still no excuse to be rude toward obese..even morbidly obese..people, though. :(

Archived