scooter annoys ablebodied

Ians Grandma

Have cruised for many years with family and friends and can say with complete shame that at times I was one of those people who got frustrated when people in scooters caused a traffic jam or ran into me. Never thought for a moment what it would feel like to be the person confined to the chair and what they would give to not have to use it.

Now my best friend, who has Cerebral Palsy, is confined to a scooter. She is not in one by choice, but after many years of trying to use crutches can no longer get around without one. She is active and lively and does everything possible to enjoy life.

We are going on our first cruise together in a few months and as I investigate options, tours, and ships that are going to meet her needs, I guess I would wish that everyone who has ever had not so nice thoughts could have even one day in their life where they or someone they love has to face the same challenges.

So instead of being in a hurry I say enjoy your life and the people in it. I mean really - do you think the food in the buffet will run out?

I completely agree with you. My father is handicapped after a stroke. There are many people who abuse their "handicap". A few stories: my father goes to the grocery store and all the handicapped spaces are taken. Now all the cars have the required permit however a lady cones out walking fine and climbs into her lifted pickup truck with no problems at all. Going inside, there are no scooters available but we find one guy getting out of his scooter and walking all the way down the aisle. Again not having any difficulties. Another time I take my dad for coffee. There are only 2 handicapped spots. Both are occupied by U.S. Postal vehicles. My father tries to be humble all the time but I can see him struggling. I went up to the letter carriers and said "it looks like you guys need those spots a lot more than my father.

For those of you that read this original message as handicapped bashing should take another look. I think that we are both agreeing that there are some real a holes out three. I think that we all agree that handicapped people should take precedence over anyone else. The fact remains that there are some people out there that take advantage of kindness, claiming they are handicapped when they in fact are just as able as I am. I am the first to give my seat to a handicapped or elderly individual. That's how I was raised: to show respect. These others obviously weren't raised the same way: to take advantage of courtesies that should only be extended to those who really need it.

I am going to try & be FAIR & NEUTRAL on this. I take issue with the many people who have begun to abuse the privilige of scooters. They seem to think LAZINESS is a disability. I believe stores offering these to every Fat Lazy person that walks in is part of the problem. I have NO PROBLEM with those people with real illnesses & disability have their use. They usually are very careful with their use. Which brings me to my second gripe. People who use these scooters & ASSAULT others. I have been hit several times by people riding these things that think everyone should get out of their way. They drive them like they are in NASCAR or something. (Probably these are NOT the people who really need them)

Overall I think Cruise Lines should require all people wanting a HC cabin to submit PROOF they are in need or wait until 30 days prior to sailing to be able to get one. Also if you want to bring a Scooter onboard, you should have a DR letter stating its requirement. I also think 1 elevator both Fore & Aft should be disignated for Wheelchair use only (Card Key required) And to the person who said they werent accomadated in the MDR, you should have shown up every night & asked the MaitreD to carry you to the table or just sat in the middle of the Aisle until they found you a compatable table.

Sorry I have no sympathy for those who will not make reasonable accomodations for those that need these thing. And even less sympathy & respect for those who abuse these things.

I am going to try & be FAIR & NEUTRAL on this. I take issue with the many people who have begun to abuse the privilige of scooters. They seem to think LAZINESS is a disability. I believe stores offering these to every Fat Lazy person that walks in is part of the problem. I have NO PROBLEM with those people with real illnesses & disability have their use. They usually are very careful with their use. Which brings me to my second gripe. People who use these scooters & ASSAULT others. I have been hit several times by people riding these things that think everyone should get out of their way. They drive them like they are in NASCAR or something. (Probably these are NOT the people who really need them)

Overall I think Cruise Lines should require all people wanting a HC cabin to submit PROOF they are in need or wait until 30 days prior to sailing to be able to get one. Also if you want to bring a Scooter onboard, you should have a DR letter stating its requirement. I also think 1 elevator both Fore & Aft should be disignated for Wheelchair use only (Card Key required) And to the person who said they werent accomadated in the MDR, you should have shown up every night & asked the MaitreD to carry you to the table or just sat in the middle of the Aisle until they found you a compatable table.

Sorry I have no sympathy for those who will not make reasonable accomodations for those that need these thing. And even less sympathy & respect for those who abuse these things.

I'm sailing in a week and due to a grade III MCL tear in my left knee and a severe back injury, (I have 3 cracked/broken discs) I will be using a rented mobility scooter. I'm also overweight and due to my injury I can not exercise. The doctor has restricted my movement and I can not lift anything heavier than 1 pound.

I am extremely careful when I use a scooter, I say "excuse me" and I let others go ahead of me on the elevator, I try not to block the walkways.

I'm sorry if you see me as a fat, lazy person because my injuries require use of a scooter when I don't have obvious disabilities.

Should I place a copy of my handicapped placard on the scooter? Perhaps a copy of my handicapped ID card? What should I do to make my disability known so that insensitive, uncaring, assuming jerks can be assured that I'm not just another fat, lazy woman playing around on a scooter.

BTW...what kind of scooter hit you because I honestly wasn't aware that they went that fast?

BTW...what kind of scooter hit you because I honestly wasn't aware that they went that fast?

Lol. I have been hit by a few scooters. I've never been sent to the ER though! Must be a super hoveround that are special order only. I bet you are thinking about swapping out that slow rental you got now that you know that there is a scooter out there capable of inflicting major injuries! I don't care if it is an able bodied 10 year old using a scooter. As long as a polite excuse me is used. I hope either way that everyone continues to cruise. It's the best vacation out there. I couldn't possibly let someone standing in front of me or running into me ruin my vacation.

I sincerely hope that you have good health and continue to be able bodied

My husband wasn't so lucky--at age 40 he was diagnosed with chronic progressive MS and has to use a scooter. It gave us a different outlook on life.

We have also found that most people try to be very helpful--holding doors, elevators, etc.

It is true that you dont know what is wrong with people you have no idea. My husband had a massive heart attack at the age of 43 and has been on the heart transplant list since then. Just by looking at him you would never know he has this condition. He can get winded just walking across a room. He has a scooter but will hardly use it because of the way people look at him. He also cannot excercise he is not huge by any means but you need to realize that some people cannot help their weight and yes when we go on a cruise we enjoy ourselves and back to the diet when we get back.

My 16 year old is also disabled and has been all his lift and there are so many rude and inconsiderate people out there I hate whne we go into wal mart and people stare and let their kids just stand and stare. That is ridiculous. We also have the problem of people standing in front of him when we are trying to get him to be able to see stuff and it irritates the crap out of me. I have said something at times and I try to just realize that they are just too stupid to have any manners but its hard sometimes.

I completely agree with you. My father is handicapped after a stroke. There are many people who abuse their "handicap". A few stories: my father goes to the grocery store and all the handicapped spaces are taken. Now all the cars have the required permit however a lady cones out walking fine and climbs into her lifted pickup truck with no problems at all. Going inside, there are no scooters available but we find one guy getting out of his scooter and walking all the way down the aisle. Again not having any difficulties. Another time I take my dad for coffee. There are only 2 handicapped spots. Both are occupied by U.S. Postal vehicles. My father tries to be humble all the time but I can see him struggling. I went up to the letter carriers and said "it looks like you guys need those spots a lot more than my father.

I am sorry about your father. It must be difficult.

However, I've said it before (and so have several other people) and I will say it again: You simply cannot always tell on first appearance who has a handicap/ disability.

For example, my 30-something son looks like a fit young man. He doesn't use a cane or stick to walk and he appears to walk normally.

But, he has had an above-knee amputation of his right leg. He can only walk for short distances, because the prosthesis rubs on his stump and causes blisters if he walks too far. He needs a handicap parking space and he would need a scooter to get around a cruise ship.

That lady you saw coming out of the store could be just like my son. How could you tell?

My mom uses a scooter and I see both sides of this issue. My mom can't walk at all and is thin as a rail. She refuses to use a wheelchair as people treat her different in a wheelchair instead of a scooter.

My mom has used her scooter for the last 7 years and is very experienced with it. She hasn't hit anyone yet but many people have hit her. I don't think able bodied people see her as she is in a lower field of vision. Many, many times people step or stop right in front of her and she has to be very quick. Scooters don't have brakes just on/off. Many people also step right into her and then say "you hit me" when in fact she wasn't even moving. They just didn't look where they were walking. I have tried to use her scooter(just to park it) and have to admit I am a moving danger zone. I hit things and run into walls just going a few feet. :eek: It's a lot tougher than it looks. I just don't have the experience my mom has with it.

I also dislike people who rent scooters and have never used one before and think they are expert drivers after just getting on one. I've seen them. I think they should have to take a safety course or practice adequately beforehand as they can be a danger to others and themselves.

There are always going to be people who abuse the system but don't lump them altogether.

We ran into a similar situation 10 days ago on a ship's excrusion in Trinidad where a gentleman (and I use the term loosly) didn't like DW's wheelchair on the bus and wanted her to put in on her lap. Said he was going to report it to Princess...which I encouraged him to do and gave him our card. The interesting thing is that he appeared to be a stroke victim and had some disablities of his own.

While exiting the elevator on my last cruise, the woman behind me loudly announced "THOSE PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED ON A CRUISE SHIP" She was quite proud of herself in making that statement.

My first thought was just to ignore it but than decided I was going to politely address the issue. As I approached the woman in question , her husband turned to his wife ( he was not in the elevator to have heard her ) and asked what had she done now ? He turned to me an apologized for his wife's behavior and proceeded to say the very thing I would have said to her. Which was "Just remember what you said if the time ever comes that you're disabled and wanting to continue cruising. "

Some people just don't get it !

At stores, DH asks me why I insist on using a shopping cart, and walking slowly, instead of using electric scooter. Folks just don't see a person in a scooter. :cool:

My mom has used her scooter for the last 7 years and is very experienced with it. She hasn't hit anyone yet but many people have hit her. I don't think able bodied people see her as she is in a lower field of vision. Many, many times people step or stop right in front of her and she has to be very quick. Scooters don't have brakes just on/off. Many people also step right into her and then say "you hit me" when in fact she wasn't even moving. They just didn't look where they were walking.

Last year my son and I were on a cruise to the South Pacific which we throughly enjoyed. My son is confined to a wheelchair. We wanted to see a crossing the equator event on deck so we got there over an hour before the event to get a front row seat as it is the only way that he could see. We have found that people always stand in front of him if we don't get a spot in the very front and he has no way to see around them. I was saddened to later read online that someone was angry because his scooter blocked people who wanted to go up front and take photos. If they wanted to be up front they could have sat in the sun for an hour, as we did. It is hard live with a disability but also hard to have to fight all of the time for basic acceptance in a group. I am just venting but do other cruisers who cannot walk at all find the same thing? We do try to blend in as much as possible and not be demanding. We are going on a cruise again soon and I feel a bit worried.

There are rude people everywhere - even on this thread - and they have no idea what challenges face a person with disabilities.

I am amazed at how ugly some people can get - how discriminatory they can be - how judgmental they are.

As someone else said, people should spend a few days in a wheelchair -- it would open their eyes.

I remember once when DH and others in line in wheelchairs got to enter a venue ahead of everyone else. [it was at Disney World] An AB woman in line said "That's not fair."

No - it isn't fair that DH can't walk, can't access most of the rides, misses out on so many things OTHERS take for granted.

As far as scooters/wheelchairs injuring others, I am constantly amazed at the AB people who are so CLUELESS they walk into the path of a wheelchair or scooter.

These devices don't have brakes.

So if someone walks directly into the path in front of DH, all he can do is let up on the power.

It's not going to stop on a dime.

Which brings me to my second gripe. People who use these scooters & ASSAULT others. I have been hit several times by people riding these things that think everyone should get out of their way. They drive them like they are in NASCAR or something. (Probably these are NOT the people who really need them)

After accompanying my mom many many times in public, I have seen people who are able bodied and don't want to acknowledge the presence of someone with a disability and "scooter or wheelchair" I have seen probably hundreds of them cut her off and once she stops, then she can hardly find an opening to get going again because she is too polite. Plus their false imaginings that her scooter will stop on a dime!

I have told mom that she has just as much right to the walkway as they do, and if they get run over it's THEIR fault for jumping in front of her. So if you're jumping in front of people on their scooters and get your toes run over or your ankles hit , or see her backing up and you can't step backward a couple of feet(i.e.; assaulted), then it's your own fault. You can't possibly be in such a hurry that you can't wait a few seconds to go behind them or side step out of the way.

I am of the opinion that even the most insensitive will get their personal payback sooner or later.

Usually the person who goes out of their way a little bit to give mom room will relate their personal story how they or a close relative was in a scooter or wheelchair and it changed their entire point of view. and, bless those who are naturally sensitive and never had to have that experience to make them courteous to those with assistive devices.

Good luck!

There is a lot of room for improvement in the ways that we deal with each other. On my last cruise, I got stuck in an elevator for a while, and so used the stairs for the rest of the cruise, unless a family member was with me.

By using the stairs, I got more exercise and freed up space in the elevators for others. One woman in a wheelchair spoke to me as I stepped up the final step to a deck where she had just exited the elevator. She said, "thank you for using the stairs so that there is more room in the elevators!" I said, "you're welcome" although I was not trying to make more room in the elevators! LOL!

A dear aunt used a wheelchair for fifty-eight years. She was paralyzed on one side of her body and missing her leg on that side. She gained a lot of weight, sitting in that chair. Part of it was because her metabolism slowed down and part because she did not get much exercise. Another reason was that she was really good at baking pies and cookies! No one could resist her cookies!

My mother used a wheeled walker for the last ten years of her life. She was very slow with it and very thin and weak, too. She would walk about ten feet and then, abruptly stop to rest. In narrow aisles, I either walked in front of her or behind her, with my heart in my mouth, hoping that no one would bump into her. In wider aisles, I would walk beside her, as it was easier to communicate that way. (She had a hearing loss, too, and she had mild dementia for the last five years of her life.)

One time, as we were entering the grocery store, she stopped to rest just inside the store. Naturally, I stopped too. A man on a scooter ran into the back of my legs. He indicated that we should not have stopped. I told him that he should not follow so close, especially seeing a tiny frail elderly woman with a walker. If he did that while driving a car, we would call him a "tailgater."

From that day on, it was a constant worry to me that someone would run down my mother, since she could not jump out of the way. She was not at all capable of operating a scooter, either, so that was not an option.

We do not need to crowd each other, from behind or beside, or getting into or out of elevators. Those of us who are currently somewhat (or more) able, can stand back, move out of the way, be understanding, etc. Those who need some device to assist them can be sure they can operate it safely and not hurt others with it.

I will be cruising with my special needs sister who uses a wheelchair- one of us will be pushing her. We as a family always take stairs whenever possible so having to use the elevator for everything is going to be different for sure. I'm sure we will encounter rude people but I'm her advocate and will deal with them -no mercy. Of course husband and kids can still take the stairs.

Last week my kids school put on a performance so we got their early with my sister and sat in the front row of folding chairs. Later more parents came and were standing at the back. Under a gym teacher's direction, some students set up a row of chairs right in front of us. I thought this was rude epecially since my sister's chair is low profile and now she wouldn't be able to see. I got up and moved us back to the front. I couldn't believe the teacher said- "well she(my sister) wasn't paying attention or enjoying it anyway." I filed a complaint and we'll see what happens. SOme people are just plain stupid.

Last year my son and I were on a cruise to the South Pacific which we throughly enjoyed. My son is confined to a wheelchair. We wanted to see a crossing the equator event on deck so we got there over an hour before the event to get a front row seat as it is the only way that he could see. We have found that people always stand in front of him if we don't get a spot in the very front and he has no way to see around them. I was saddened to later read online that someone was angry because his scooter blocked people who wanted to go up front and take photos. If they wanted to be up front they could have sat in the sun for an hour, as we did. It is hard live with a disability but also hard to have to fight all of the time for basic acceptance in a group. I am just venting but do other cruisers who cannot walk at all find the same thing? We do try to blend in as much as possible and not be demanding. We are going on a cruise again soon and I feel a bit worried.

****, I had an entitlement whore on the Explorer tell me I should get off the elevator so their group could get in and go down for dinner because my chair took up too much room and they all couldn't fit in at the same time.

I said no, that I was entitled to use the elevators as they were, and if they were in a hurry to get to dinner they could go down the ONE flight of stairs together.

hell, if I could do stairs, I would have gone down the single flight of stairs myself.

I don't understand why you need proof to park in a handicap parking space but not to use handicap vehicles? My son recently broke his foot, a lisfranc fracture that requires him to be off of his foot for 12 - 16 weeks. We really are having a hard time going places where there are enough scooters available, and you can say what ever you want but I have seen many "families" on scooters. Mom and Dad, both over 300 lbs. with their 200 lb. 12 year old walking along with them. They don't all have medical conditions. I have had a lot of people say "Oh you should get a handicap parking sticker for him". Why? He can't drive so we just drop him off by the door.

but I have seen many "families" on scooters. Mom and Dad, both over 300 lbs. with their 200 lb. 12 year old walking along with them. They don't all have medical conditions. .

How to you know for certain "They don't all have medical conditions" ? Many conditions are invisible to others. Yet that person may be stuggling to walk due to a neurapathy condition , lung condition or one of many others conditions that's not visible to others. For many years after my Dx of MS , I fell into the catgory of my symptions not apparent to others, yet I struggled every day with severe pain and fatigue as a result of the ms just to walk from the car to the front door. I used a scooter in the stores at that time and still do. So had you seen me you would have probably classified me as not having any medical conditions.

Yes there are people who just use the scooters in the stores because they think they're fun, but most people that use them really do need them. Even if it may not seem that way to others.

I don't understand why you need proof to park in a handicap parking space but not to use handicap vehicles? My son recently broke his foot, a lisfranc fracture that requires him to be off of his foot for 12 - 16 weeks. We really are having a hard time going places where there are enough scooters available, and you can say what ever you want but I have seen many "families" on scooters. Mom and Dad, both over 300 lbs. with their 200 lb. 12 year old walking along with them. They don't all have medical conditions. I have had a lot of people say "Oh you should get a handicap parking sticker for him". Why? He can't drive so we just drop him off by the door.

Well, if you've already got all kinds of preconceived and illconceived "ideas" about who is "handicapped", who is no, who is "entitled", and who is not, it's hardly worth our time to answer your question,

but indeed, there are all kinds of handicapping conditions that cause people to have difficulty walking...and yes, morbid obesity is classified as a handicapping condition. So if the "family" you cite has only morbid obesity as their situation, then they are indeed handicapped. But you don't know. You do not appear to be a doctor, or medical professional, have no access to their medical records and flat don't know.

As for "dropping him off by the door": It may well surprise you that many of us who are adults, and also people with disabilities, are quite capable of driving ourselves to stores, to work, to other businesses, parking, and going about our business. There is no one to "drop us by the door". So the handicap parking spots are there for us...and often used by people who shouldn't be using them..to allow us access to those places of business.

I hope your son's foot healed uneventfully.

Well, if you've already got all kinds of preconceived and illconceived "ideas" about who is "handicapped", who is no, who is "entitled", and who is not, it's hardly worth our time to answer your question,

but indeed, there are all kinds of handicapping conditions that cause people to have difficulty walking...and yes, morbid obesity is classified as a handicapping condition. So if the "family" you cite has only morbid obesity as their situation, then they are indeed handicapped. But you don't know. You do not appear to be a doctor, or medical professional, have no access to their medical records and flat don't know.

As for "dropping him off by the door": It may well surprise you that many of us who are adults, and also people with disabilities, are quite capable of driving ourselves to stores, to work, to other businesses, parking, and going about our business. There is no one to "drop us by the door". So the handicap parking spots are there for us...and often used by people who shouldn't be using them..to allow us access to those places of business.

I hope your son's foot healed uneventfully.

Of course I realize that many handicaps are not visible. I just think you should have some sort of prescription, medical form etc. to use a scooter, the same as you need to get a parking permit. What I meant about dropping my son off at the door was that we do not need one. The doctor was willing to give us one, but I feel those spaces should be left for the people that truly need them. If someone truly needs it then they should not have a problem with a doctor verifying it. My nephew is handicapped and his mother parks in the handicap spots even when he is not with her, so I know for a fact people take advantage. Luckily my son's situation is temporary. I was not trying to offend anyone.

Of course I realize that many handicaps are not visible. I just think you should have some sort of prescription, medical form etc. to use a scooter, the same as you need to get a parking permit. What I meant about dropping my son off at the door was that we do not need one. The doctor was willing to give us one, but I feel those spaces should be left for the people that truly need them. If someone truly needs it then they should not have a problem with a doctor verifying it. My nephew is handicapped and his mother parks in the handicap spots even when he is not with her, so I know for a fact people take advantage. Luckily my son's situation is temporary. I was not trying to offend anyone.

HC parking placards are requlated by the State Governemrnt . The state nor the federal goverment requlates mobility scooters that stores provide as a courtesy. Nor can the stores asked for proof of disbility for one to use the scooter as that would be a direct violation of the HIPAA Privacy Laws .

Stores are not required by any Laws (including ADA) to provide mobiltiy scooters for the use of their customers. The stores that have them offer it as a courtesy and the convenience for anyone that wants to use the scooter regardless of being Handicapped or not becuase the stores understand the value it offers to their bottom line. The scooters are always offered on first come ,first serve basis. If one's not available when you arrive in the store, do what the rest of us do, wait until one becomes available or leave and come back another time.

On our last cruise I was waiting for my DH on his scooter to alight from the elevator (I walk the walk on the stairs). The doors open and out comes DH along with five women, all saying such things as; “you are the most pleasant scooter driver we have met on this ship!”

HELLO, husband with five pretty women! DUH!

SHAME ON ME! I have a disability that isn’t visible to the naked eye.

SHAME ON ME! I appear "able" to the general population.

SHAME ON ME! I appear much too young to need a scooter.

SHAME ON ME! I didn't read the how to act handicapped manual.

SHAME ON ME! I have the ability to be mobile - for short distances.

SHAME ON ME! I don’t always show the pain I feel.

SHAME ON ME! I try to help myself when others do not.

SHAME ON ME! I can do something you think I shouldn’t..

SHAME ON ME! I'm having seconds and a desert.

SHAME ON ME! I appear much too jovial to be disabled.

SHAME ON ME! I have a disability that isn’t visible to the naked eye.

Archived