Help me through the Panama Canal - the in's and out's

Hello this is my first post here. I read a lot of very helpful information before my first cruise this past April 2013 it was 7 nights to Mexico out of Los Angeles or LA, USA. We were on the Sapphire Princess. I had a great time. Someone said it’s easy to get hooked. yep :D

I have another... a 10 day to Mexican Rivera from LA to take our Mother in March 2014 again on the Sapphire Princess. I think I’ve got the nitty gritty figured out on this one. It’s the darn waiting.

Seriously, I am a 53 year old quadriplegic and use an electric power chair, bipap mask, O2 at night. I live in Montana. My first cruise to Mexico was a beautiful experience. I wish I’d have done this sooner.

I love flying but can’t take much “sit in one place” so I don’t fly far. I’ve only flown to the East coast once the DC area.

I am very much considering taking a cruise through the Panama Canal. I think I’d prefer flying the longer flight before the cruise so I’d fly from Seattle to a departing port in Florida. I only see Princess 15 day and Norwegian Cruise Lines NCL 13 day in my searches. Princess has 4 at sea days in a row on the last leg. For the price difference NCL sounds better.

Okay some first thought help…

1. Any tips, thoughts about anything costs, weather, cruise lines, things to bring...

2. When the best time for weather to cruise Panama canal?

3. Are there better prices with combination decent weather?

4. Princess or Norwegian from cruise411.

5. Cruise Rates? - Should I book it out far in advance or can I get a better deal later? Airfare packaged into it?

6. Storm seasons?

I used cruise411 on my last 2 cruises. They have been helpful, answer questions fast… But can you shop around and really find a difference? My first cruise I had several rates all similar within 2 to 400 I think. :rolleyes:

I won’t be doing this again as I can’t afford to so I’d want to enjoy a balcony stateroom. :eek:

Any information, suggestions or links….

Thank you,

Randy

Edited by GoneJohnson

Never done a Panama Cruise so can't help you with the best times and weather questions.

RE: Cost - Prices vary between Cruise lines . However they really don't vary between travel agents as most cruise lines don't allow discounting. However when comparing fares you must ask for the all in price , fare plus taxes and port charges so you are comparing apples to apples. What many TA's do is just advertising the basic cost to make you think it's the all in price and than hit you will the total when doing the actual booking. You might want to shop around to see if any of the TA's will offer any perks such as an OBC ( On Board Credit) , Complimentary dinner at one the Specialty Restaurants and or offering to cover the tips.

Personally I book directly with the cruise line as prefer to have control over my reservation. When booking through a TA the TA owns the booking and if the price drops you have to work through the TA. This becomes a problem at times because price drops can come and go before the TA ever returns your call. Many TA's also have hidden fees such as cancelation and change fees so you need to understand all the special fees & conditions that the TA may impose.

Note we are not able to provide names of TA's as it violates the CC Forum Policy.

Re: Book now or later - Given that you are a quadriplegic and use a power chair, a handicap accessible cabin will be required. Panama cruises are very popular and the accessible cabins book fast . So waiting to book later when/if the price drops may not really be the best thing. Suggest you book when you find an accessible cabin in the category of your liking and book if the price fits your comfort zone. If the price drops prior to the final payment deadline you can request a price adjustment.

RE: Airfare - First since you have already expressed that flying is hard on you so suggest flying to the embarkation port at least a 1 or 2 days prior to the cruise. This will allow you to not have to stress trying to make the needed flight connections. It also will give you an opportunity to have some time to recover from the flights before starting the cruise.

As far as booking flights, suggest you shop and compare. I generally book flights on my own as have found better fares than if I booked through the cruise line.

Hope this info helps you.

On a side note been to Montana and it's beautiful ! Have a niece and nephew that are graduates of MSU-Bozeman. Nephew is a Mechanical Engineer and niece has undergraduate and Masters in Bio-Chemical Engineer.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Lots of other lines do Panama canal. Celebrity and HAL come to mind, but others do it repositioning from the east coast to Alaska in the spring, and back to the east coast in the fall. You can get a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami all the way to Seattle or Vancouver in the spring, making your flight home to Montana a little shorter. Ships do Panama Canal cruise during our winter. Temperatures don't vary much that close to the equator but there are less dry seasons. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com, and from the second list of ports (destinations) choose Panama Canal cruising under Panama. that will tell you who is doing it, when,, and the full itinerary. EM

I've done four Panama Canal transits, one on Royal Caribbean and three on Celebrity. Up front, I'm not a fan of NCL as I find that they just weren't as helpful to those with disabilities, while both RCI and Celebrity were very good.

You will need to book early as accessible cabins go at least a year out for Canal sailings because they are very popular.

I've found that January through March is a good time to sail. But regardless of time, its always VERY hot and humid. Believe me, you won't need coats or sweaters.

FYI, you mentioned a travel agency in your post, and its against the rules of this board to mention travel agencies or agents. Your post will probably be edited.

I have done a canal cruise on Princess. I really enjoyed this cruise. I would encourage you to book as soon as you know your plans. Accessible cabins are sparse and book quickly. Every category of cabin will not have access. There will be at least one inside, ocean view and balcony cabin but usually not the cheapest in each category. Princess still allows travel agents to discount their rates. You will not find the discounted rates on websites. You have to call or e-mail for a quote. Typically I save about 10 to 20% over the rate on the Princess site. If I am going on other lines I do my own booking. Good luck on which ever line you choose. I really enjoyed reading the book "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough.

So am I hearing most of you say to just book with the cruise line?

I booked my second cruise both on Princess while on my first cruise. They said the TA was about 1,000 cheaper.

I've been going with the more expensive rooms. First cruise Baja Deck just forward of midship by the elevators. My March 2014 I booked Caribe Deck with the bigger balcony. How or where are other places, decks on the ship that people feel are still good rooms. Can I get a decent balcony cheaper. Suggestions as to location on the cruise ship.

Okay - Book it soon or early is better. I have been but just curious.

Airfare - I have kept this separate than a cruise/flight combo and worked it out myself. This works good.

Dates - Sounds like any time might be good. --- more input here please.

Recommendations on a cruise line? I see there are more than NCL and Princess. I will want to start from the East coast and end in California or Seattle. I don't think Royal Caribbean comes to California? :confused:

Please keep the thoughts coming. I guess what cruise line and the dates to go are my biggest questions. I had been looking at February and March but can go anytime.

My apologizes for mention of the TA name. I can't edit now. Thank you to the moderator who cleans it up. I do the same on a computer site. :o

I am having some difficulty trying to familiarize myself with the different ships via a webs deck plans. Trying to figure out primarily where a stateroom with a balcony and in a quieter area of the ship and where the ship rides better.

Trying to understand or find out where the handicapped rooms are on the Holland America, Celebrity and NCL cruise lines. I'm not sure others make this route. I did see an unfamiliar in one search.

I've never been in the back of the ship. How do rooms ride or sound. The ride really does not bother me. Loud areas are worse.

I'll have been at the front 1/3 of the Sapphire twice after my next trip. First trip was nice ride.

Any thoughts appreciated, Thanks

So am I hearing most of you say to just book with the cruise line? Suggest you go back and re-read all posts that's not what most say. In fact I think my post was the only that spoke directly about booking with the cruise line and that was in reference to what I do. As I stated in my post the pricing will basically be the same if you book with through a TA or direct. If you're wanting perks such as OBC than you need to shop around with TA's.

I booked my second cruise both on Princess while on my first cruise. They said the TA was about 1,000 cheaper. Not certain who "THEY" are and how long ago your first cruise was, but any price difference these days will be nominal as discounting really isn't allowed. You might be able to locate a TA that has block of rooms already and you might get a little discount. However HC accessible cabins generally are not block for a TA unless they are specifically planning a group cruise for an organization that by requires the need for all HC cabins.

I've been going with the more expensive rooms. First cruise Baja Deck just forward of midship by the elevators. My March 2014 I booked Caribe Deck with the bigger balcony. How or where are other places, decks on the ship that people feel are still good rooms. Can I get a decent balcony cheaper.

You need to do a mock booking on the cruise line website to be able to see pricing and rooms available for all categories.

Suggestions as to location on the cruise ship. With HC Cabins the location is going to be very limited as there are so few HC cabins in each category to begin with. Mid ship center close to the elevators is my personal preference but that's not always possible due to limited number of HC cabin .

Okay - Book it soon or early is better. I have been but just curious.

Airfare - I have kept this separate than a cruise/flight combo and worked it out myself. This works good.

Dates - Sounds like any time might be good. --- more input here please. What specific input are you requesting ?

Recommendations on a cruise line? I see there are more than NCL and Princess. Just about every cruise line offers Panama cruises. It all comes down to price and itinerary. You can check RCCL, HAL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity. will want to start from the East coast and end in California or Seattle. I don't think Royal Caribbean comes to California? :confused: Have you actually checked RCCL's website as there are Panama cruises embarking from Ft. Lauderdale and disembarking in San Diego.

Please keep the thoughts coming. I guess what cruise line and the dates to go are my biggest questions. I had been looking at February and March but can go anytime. You need to carefully when looking at cruise on Carnival and Holland America as these 2 cruise lines have both Full HC Accessible Cabins and Modified Accessible Cabins. You have to make certain that if you decide to go with Carnival (CCL) or Holland America (HAL) that you book a Fully Accessible Cabin as a modified accessible cabin is a standard cabin that does not have room for a wheelchair to move about and it has a step into the bathroom. Modified Accessible cabins are intended for those that are more mobile and not confined to a wheelchair.

My apologizes for mention of the TA name. I can't edit now. Thank you to the moderator who cleans it up. I do the same on a computer site. :o

Hope this helps you.

Trying to understand or find out where the handicapped rooms are on the Holland America, Celebrity and NCL cruise lines. I'm not sure others make this route. I did see an unfamiliar in one search. Accessible Cabins on the deck plans for RCCL, HAL and Celebrity are mark with the universal wheelchair insignia. HC cabins on NCL's deck plans a marked with a solid color box. RCCL, HAL, NCL and Celebrity deck plans all have a legend on the deck plans denoting the meaning of the emblems.

Re: HAL there is also a detailed description to the right of the deck plan that actually shows the cabin floor plans and actually states the cabin numbers for Fully Accessible and Modified Accessible Cabins.

RE: Carnival you have to scroll the mouse slowly over the Deck plans and a small pop up screen will appear that has a description of the cabin as the deck plan does use have the Universal Wheelchair insignia as that is only shown in the pop up screen. Remember to mark certain it is a fully accessible cabin and not a modified accessible cabin.

All cruise lines you will either have to do a mock on line booking or call the cruise line directly in order to determine if the cabin you are looking for is actually available.

Any thoughts appreciated, Thanks

Hope this info Helps you .

Edited by xxoocruiser

For deck plans, go to cruisedeckplans.com. You have to join and pay a nominal fee if yu want to see pictures of cabins, but there are lots of other features, such as the 'drag it' decks, where you have the deck plans side by side and you can drag one deck over the other to see how what is on the deck above aligns with a particular cabin. Also, I believe there is a sticky at the top of this page for info about accessible cabins on HAL. You haven't said when you would like to cruise, but if you don;t get moving,, you may be linited to the ship that has an available HC cabin. And it might not be a balcony. EM

My apologies regarding the "booking with cruise line vs TA" I've been reading a lot. I've noticed that many people book direct with the cruise line.

I spoke with Princess cruise's booking person while on board. I mentioned that my TA sent me a booking on board discount. The Princess lady agreed I'd get a better deal of about 1,000 dollars so she booked my March 2014 cruise via TA for me.

I am familiar with mock booking. I understand the difference pricing. My problem is I can "really picture" the Sapphire Princess the deck plans make sense. I know where I'd prefer my room. I myself prefer mid ship up higher with a balcony but have no experience if the ride is much different from front to back. I'd hate to save 700 bucks to hear the engines all night.

Best dates - I was referring to a month September through April as for comfort. I've read enough to make a decision. I'd appreciate anyone's input that has traveled the Panama Canal.

Yes today I checked every cruise line that can do an East coast to West coast. I might cross NCL off the options after reading today.

Thanks for the heads up with CCL and HAL.

I'm able to find handicapped rooms on deck plans easily enough. I just don't know much about... Royal Caribbean uses the Legend of the Seas, Celebrity the Celebrity Infinity, the Princess Coral and Island ships and Holland America Line the ms Westerdam and ms Amsterdam. They are just smaller ships. It's tough to put in perspective just as my first cruise. I knew where my room was but until I was there to see and feel. I'll search images of various ships that have been posted that helped last time.

I appreciate the help and tips. I'll check those deck plans tomorrow.

I am familiar with mock booking. I understand the difference pricing. My problem is I can "really picture" the Sapphire Princess the deck plans make sense. I know where I'd prefer my room. I myself prefer mid ship up higher with a balcony but have no experience if the ride is much different from front to back. I'd hate to save 700 bucks to hear the engines all night.

Forward Ship - Depending on how forward the cabin and the sea conditions this can be a rougher ride than mid ship of aft. Also if you are prone to sea sickness often best to avoid very forward cabins.

Mid Ship - Generally the more stable option and tends to be the better option if sea sick prone.

Aft - Movement can be more noticeable but not has much (IMHO) compared to a forward cabin. If a mid ship accessible cabin is not available aft (IMHO) would be the next best option.

RE: engine noise Generally this is more noticeable on the lower decks such as deck 2. I'd be more concerned about noise if your cabin is directly below the pool deck as early in the morning you can often hear the noises of the crews setting up the deck chairs. Also if you are an early to bed person check to see that the cabin is not directly below one of the nightclubs. Always best to try to have cabins directly above rather than public areas.

Sounds like you're making good progess on your search. Good Luck.

Edited by xxoocruiser

When looking at future cruise dates I don't see as many for 2015 departing from Florida in comparison to current listings for 2013 and 2014 cruises.

Will the cruise lines publish/advertise more cruses later for 2015? There is a smaller choice now but I assume the same cruise lines will be as active again in 2015 but just have not published all the cruise dates? or are there really only going to be the few cruises I see now in 2015.

Edited by GoneJohnson
clairfy

When looking at future cruise dates I don't see as many for 2015 departing from Florida in comparison to current listings for 2013 and 2014 cruises.

Will the cruise lines publish/advertise more cruses later for 2015? There is a smaller choice now but I assume the same cruise lines will be as active again in 2015 but just have not published all the cruise dates? or are there really only going to be the few cruises I see now in 2015.

Many of the lines start releasing dates and sailings in around March, and start with the TAs or just after the TAs. (Here, TA means TransAtlantic, rather than Travel Agent). For example, in March of 2013, I booked my Summer 2014 cruise. In May, I booked my Feb 2015 cruise. It won't be until next March before I can book summer of 2015 or later.

A number of them roll out the cruises a region or season at a time over a 4-8 week period, so what you see right now is probably all you will see until next spring.

Thank you for the TA - info :o

I've found a few more today but will wait for a better choice. The different cruise line itineraries do not differ that much. Do some spend more time in the canal I'd like that? Some itineraries look to.

It's more down to which cruise line to choose. Prices are what they are.

The travel agency I've booked my last 2 cruises with seems 50 bucks cheaper than most other web sites. I believe both the Travel Agency and Princess give me a small repeat customer discount. I will call the cruise lines direct after I've figured out a little more.

NCL... offers good prices, decent itinerary but have mixed reviews. So does 1/2 a star rating mean that much? To some it was the greatest cruise to others it was terrible. :mad: Is it really a gamble with NCL?

I haven't sailed on NCL so I won't comment on that. One thing I would research before I booked would be when the new canal will open. There is a new canal currently under construction. It will be wider than the current one so more ships can travel through it. I think that would be interesting to see. There is a cruise ship lecturer named Richard Dietrich who has a blog as well as a book entitled "Cruising the Panama Canal". I would go to his blog or google the canal and see if it lists a projected completion date. I would think Princess might consider sending ships other than the Island and Coral to the canal if the new canal can take the post-panamamax ships.

Edited by katisdale

There is a cruise ship lecturer named Richard Dietrich who has a blog as well as a book entitled "Cruising the Panama Canal". I would go to his blog .... I would think Princess might consider sending ships other than the Island and Coral to the canal if the new canal can take the post-panamamax ships.
Yes thank you. I found the blog yesterday it was a great resource. :D I now know I want to stay in the port of Colon ... as you stay the night there or overnight in the canal. The port of Colon is only traveled by Royal Caribbean - The Legend of the Seas for my route.

I too was wondering when the new construction might get done and if perhaps some larger cruise ships might go? I loved the Sapphire Princess and Princess cruise employees but feel I need to reach out and try a different cruise ship just to see it. I don't see how I'd pay for another cruise. The a Sapphire Princess gets another test this next March.

This is a last big splurge... so I'll over research it. If not for my March Cruise I'd go next spring 2014 but 2015 seems a long way away.

I think I'm going to look at March or April. I need to find more weather info about September to November but have read a few negative things about then. - rain, storms?

Again thanks, Randy

Yes, we stopped at Colon in April on Infinity. they projected the canal expansion to be completed in time for the centennial of the canal in 2015, but they admitted that it won't be finished for at least another year. Our tour in Colon was to see the expansion construction. EM

So do you spend the entire day and night in Colon. I guess I'm asking / wondering if it was worth the stay. How wheelchair friendly it might be. I'd be happy to get off the cruise ship and be able to walk/wander around... eat and drink something and just see a different world and culture. I don't need a big excursion but if there is a nice one I would not be opposed.

I do know this cruise will be a cruise that I will have to enjoy the view and ride as I won't be able to afford a lot of "extras" the cruise in itself is more than I would have imagined doing. I will have a chance in the next few months to afford to pay for it and that window will close.

I'd really like to go in later 2014 but I think would enjoy it more during March/April which pushes it to 2015. Doing the 10 night in March 2014 and trying to fit a April 2014 in really seems like to much for my body.

Colon is not a very accessible port, nor is it very safe. It's a very poor city, very poverty stricken, and I would not go off on my own outside the port area----there's absolutely nothing to see other than a few shops. Ships stop there just to allow passengers to take ship sponsored tours to Panama City and for physically active tours like to the rainforest. Ships usually arrive at 8am and depart at 5 or 6. They don't stay in Colon overnight.

The temperature and humidity does not vary much, and it will be very hot and humid regardless of when you cruise. The most active months for hurricanes are September and October, although storms can pop up any time.

For two of my Panama Canal cruises, I booked a 2A balcony accessible cabin, on deck 6 on Celebrity Infinity. The cabins are midship, right by the elevators. I believe they have four accessible cabins in that area, 6103, 6105, 6107 and 6109. All are great cabins in the best location.

I always book via a travel agent because I get perks that you can't get booking directly with the cruise line.

Colon is not a very accessible port, nor is it very safe. It's a very poor city, very poverty stricken, and I would not go off on my own outside the port area----there's absolutely nothing to see other than a few shops. Ships stop there just to allow passengers to take ship sponsored tours to Panama City and for physically active tours like to the rainforest. Ships usually arrive at 8am and depart at 5 or 6. They don't stay in Colon overnight.

The temperature and humidity does not vary much, and it will be very hot and humid regardless of when you cruise. The most active months for hurricanes are September and October, although storms can pop up any time.

For two of my Panama Canal cruises, I booked a 2A balcony accessible cabin, on deck 6 on Celebrity Infinity. The cabins are midship, right by the elevators. I believe they have four accessible cabins in that area, 6103, 6105, 6107 and 6109. All are great cabins in the best location.

I always book via a travel agent because I get perks that you can't get booking directly with the cruise line.

Thanks, these were all helpful tips or more of the type I need.

So is there a method or a port stop that might let you see more of the canal or is it just the ride through? If so then I just choose the best east/west coast ports and it's easier. ;)